Preparing to teach Social Studies

This is a discussion on Preparing to teach Social Studies within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; At the age of 41, I decided to pursue a change in careers to become a middle school social studies teacher. My undergraduate degree was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Preparing to teach Social Studies

Preparing to teach Social Studies

At the age of 41, I decided to pursue a change in careers to become a middle school social studies teacher. My undergraduate degree was in history and I have complete all but my thesis in a graduate history program before beginning a new graduate teaching program. After this term I only have one more class before I begin student teaching in the fall. One of the requirements for certification is to pass the Praxis II which is a content knowledge test over U.S. and world history, government, civics, political science, economics and geography. I bought the test study guide made by the company that produced the test. I get to their summary off the Bill of rights in the Constitution and this is their summary of the second amendment ..."Protects the right to bear arms in a regulated militia (on a state basis; it was not intended to guarantee an individual's rights)". I have studied it enough to know better. I know that the well "regulated militia" meant a well "maintained militia" and that the militia was composed of every able bodied male. I hope I am able to hold a teaching position when I do not try to indoctrinate students with some of the nonsense they hear in schools these days. I will try to teach them to think for themselves!
    Badey and TheBigWanad like this.

2. Remove Ads

I wish you the very best @ teaching in Ky
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  [I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    On the plus side, the grade school my kids go to understand what "well regulated militia" means and teach it.

Write what you need to pass the praxis, but give the students the truth.

Larry MB hit it on the head write what ever you have to to get the position, then teach the truth. Not your beliefs or the beliefs of the program you are taking but the truth as the world knows it. Legislating from the bench is no worse than a teacher brain washing from the desk.

Thank you for teaching.
    84160, BMcPhe44 and JohnHancock like this.

Don't worry about the Praxis, it is incredibly easy. If you can fog a mirror you can pass the Praxis.

In the politically correct atmosphere of public schools you have to watch what you say, but there are means by which you can get your point across. I have for years.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.

Good luck on your exam and your new career.

VIP Member
    Be politically correct when required to, the rest of the time teach the truth.
    84160 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    IMHO: The Library of Congress web site contains more facts than any history book that I have read. A little research may be necessary, but the "little things", that can be found, make a "HUGE DIFFERENCE".

Library of Congress Online Catalogs
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    May I suggest a field trip as soon as you assume your duties?

(Knob Creek KY) Machine Gun Shoot @ Knob Creek Gun Range

This IS the 2A in application
    Aceoky likes this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Hey OP I wanted to point out memorization. I think seventh grade it was required to study Eastern hemisphere. My teacher made us learn each country and draw a map on plain white of the region and put in the countries in the proper place for our final exam.

I don't think a single country still exists as I learned it back in 1961.

Again thanks for teaching.
    Shiver likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
    At the age of 41, I decided to pursue a change in careers to become a middle school social studies teacher. My undergraduate degree was in history and I have complete all but my thesis in a graduate history program before beginning a new graduate teaching program. After this term I only have one more class before I begin student teaching in the fall. One of the requirements for certification is to pass the Praxis II which is a content knowledge test over U.S. and world history, government, civics, political science, economics and geography. I bought the test study guide made by the company that produced the test. I get to their summary off the Bill of rights in the Constitution and this is their summary of the second amendment ..."Protects the right to bear arms in a regulated militia (on a state basis; it was not intended to guarantee an individual's rights)". I have studied it enough to know better. I know that the well "regulated militia" meant a well "maintained militia" and that the militia was composed of every able bodied male. I hope I am able to hold a teaching position when I do not try to indoctrinate students with some of the nonsense they hear in schools these days. I will try to teach them to think for themselves!
    First, congrats. Second, what the heck, its just a test. I've seen similar complaints about other professional exams testing stuff
    with answers which don't really make sense or with questions not quite related to the purpose of the test.

Third: To be perfectly honest, while you don't agree with their suggested answer, the issue is far from non-controversial. Former Justice Stevens made the same assertion the other day and suggested an amendment to bring 2A unmistakably to that position.

I think the most important thing you can do as a teacher is impart factual truth where it is known, and fact about controversies and their various sides and shapes where "fact" is not known.

In this forum I am certain 99.9 % of participants hold the view you do hold and believe to be correct, however there is plenty of scholarship and certainly much historical confusion about how 2A came to be, who precisely drafted the words, and what they precisely had in mind. So, when you present the topic, present all 5 sides. Don't hesitate to state your opinion, but
    give your students the tools to reach their own conclusions based on real facts taken from a variety of sources, and present these without implanting your beliefs.

DO that for the entirety of your teaching and you will be doing our nation a huge service.

Don't do that and you will be forever in conflict with one parent or another on one issue or another.

Thank you for taking on a difficult, under compensated, under appreciated, potentially contentious job, which must be done well for the sake of our country.
    JohnHancock likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by LarryMB View Post
    Write what you need to pass the praxis, but give the students the truth.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What Larry said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    Don't worry about the Praxis, it is incredibly easy. If you can fog a mirror you can pass the Praxis.

In the politically correct atmosphere of public schools you have to watch what you say, but there are means by which you can get your point across. I have for years.
    I agree. I passed the Praxis on my first try before I had taken any of my higher-level history courses.

To the OP - Best of luck. I teach history, and am able to teach my students the truth about the foundation of this country.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Write your state representative and tell them that in light of McDonald v. Chicago, they need to revise their question.

No need to mention that the current wording has always been considered a blatant misread of the 2A, and was intentionally done so by the progressive movement.
    BMcPhe44 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links