Yet another school suspension.

This is a discussion on Yet another school suspension. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ohio student points finger like gun, is suspended | Fox News Boy points finger like gun, gets suspended | The Columbus Dispatch Just one more ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree157Likes

Thread: Yet another school suspension.

VIP Member

Yet another school suspension.

NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

2. Remove Ads

What a crock of (insert colorful phrase here).
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    The best way to stop incoming fire is accurate outgoing fire.

Distinguished Member
    Personally, I would be taking the kid to Disney during the suspension - he earned it!

From the Fox article:
    The fifth-grader said he was "just playing around." But district spokesman Jeff Warner tells The Columbus Dispatch (Boy points finger like gun, gets suspended | The Columbus Dispatch ) that Devonshire Principal Patricia Price has warned students about pretend gun play numerous times this year, and everyone should know the rules by now.
    If that's really the case and it was well known that it was against the rules, I can understand a punishment but a suspension is way overboard. Its also a ridiculous rule, but ...
    gatorbait51 and Hopyard like this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    America needs a zero tolerance policy for politically correct libiots (liberal idiots).
    BurgerBoy, Aceoky, JDE101 and 6 others like this.

VIP Member
    Being denigrated and punished by grown-ups for nonsensical offenses causes more problems than it fixes. I hold a different finger up to adults who would treat children in such a manner, especially those specifically charged with maintaining the children's well-being.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaSteve08 View Post
    What a crock of (insert colorful phrase here).
    ^ Suspend him for using such racist remark. What? Why only 2A people? /end sarcasm here
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    The kids knew the rules, they broke them. Is it a dumb rule? Of course it is, but it is still a rule. We will be faced with all kind of dumb rules in our lives, we either need to get them changed, accept them and follow them, or break the rules and accept the consequences. Since the parents of the child didn't work to get the rules changed, the kid will face the consequences.

At my kids' school, my 9 year old did a report on Sniper Rifles, my 6 year old makes lego guns and runs around shooting everyone including the teacher and last year at the field day they had a massive squirt gun water fight.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    America needs a zero tolerance policy for politically correct libiots (liberal idiots).
    Just for the record, not all (D) politicians are on board with the zero intelligence, um, I mean zero tolerance protocol... from the article I linked:

State Sen. Charleta Tavares, a Columbus Democrat, has proposed legislation that would overturn a 1998 state law requiring schools to adopt zero-tolerance policies. Her plan would force schools to remove those policies and forbid them in the future because she said they lead to unfair punishments.

Last year, when she introduced her bill, which would reserve suspensions and expulsions for only serious incidents, Tavares highlighted the suspension of an 8-year-old Maryland boy who chewed a Pop-Tart into a gun shape this year. “A gun-shaped edible snack is not a weapon,” Tavares said

“Many of us on both sides of the aisle want to find something that will give school administrators flexibility so they can be reasonable, remain safe and keep students in school,” she said yesterday.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Just for the record, not all (D) politicians are on board with the zero intelligence, um, I mean zero tolerance protocol... from the article I linked:
    But it is so much easier to lump people into groups and say they all think one way or another, takes much less intelligence than to realize that each person has their own views that most likely will conflict with other views in the same group.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    The kids knew the rules, they broke them. Is it a dumb rule? Of course it is, but it is still a rule. We will be faced with all kind of dumb rules in our lives, we either need to get them changed, accept them and follow them, or break the rules and accept the consequences. Since the parents of the child didn't work to get the rules changed, the kid will face the consequences.

At my kids' school, my 9 year old did a report on Sniper Rifles, my 6 year old makes lego guns and runs around shooting everyone including the teacher and last year at the field day they had a massive squirt gun water fight.
    Sorry, but even if you want to turn a blind eye to the obvious political bent of the 'rule', the punishment should still be in line with the severity of the crime. That's like saying that because little Johnny broke our no ham sandwiches on Tuesday rule, he'll have to be suspended for a week and everybody ought to be OK with it because everyone knows that we don't allow ham sandwiches on Tuesday...

The rule is ignorant. The punishment is even more ignorant. However, IMO, trying to pretend that this isn't a problem is just plain dangerous because it's that mentality that allowed these dumb laws to be enacted in the first place.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    ... suspended from Devonshire Alternative Elementary School in Columbus last week.
    Sort of begs the question as to what alternative was being provided, if not an elementary school education, doesn't it?

A bit of a twist of reality, of course, but given the lesson being taught with such Z-T intolerance it's not an altogether unwarranted question.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    With emphasis on the Zero
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Drag the school boards, schools, and teachers over the legal coals until they stop this crap. Not allowing weapons is one thing, not allowing fingers, drawings, etc. is entirely different. Stupid rules need to be removed.

(That's two likes for TX expat in one day. I have truly lost my way.)
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CommonCents View Post
    There is NOTHING Liberal about them.
    Doghandler likes this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links