Anti's at Work on Social Media

This is a discussion on Anti's at Work on Social Media within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Facebook, Instagram crack down on gun sales on social networks Look at the folks facebook "consulted" to come up with their policy - not one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Anti's at Work on Social Media

Facebook, Instagram crack down on gun sales on social networks

Look at the folks facebook "consulted" to come up with their policy - not one pro gun group.

This is precisely why I say carrying an AR in public is a bad idea...why stir up the bored housewife group with social media muscle?????
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

The trends in the media in general, both content and emerging types, along with the changes that are coming soon in the SCOTUS that will have a monumental affect on the balance of power in Washington for decades, do not bode well for the future for those of us who champion our gun rights. We've had a great run of success in avoiding and repealing laws over the past 20+ years but.....I do fear the party is going to end soon. As you suggest, we as gun owners do ourselves no favor by looking like the toothless hicks the left would like America to believe we all resemble when we carry an AR into a McDonalds. We're just adding fuel to a fire that is about to burn quite well on its own. There are likely going to be some dark days ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by From the article
    "We will not permit people to post offers to sell regulated items that indicate a willingness to evade or help others evade the law," Facebook said.
    Disagree it's anything more than barring off-the-radar purchases of, say, heroine or any other unlawful item.

Of course, there are anti-gunner firms all over the place. It's been known for some time that FB isn't a fan. Nothing new here.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Mark Zuckerberg scares me. few more decades and this guy will have more power, than i care to think about. who is he? what is his agenda?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Zuckerberg will not have more power in a few decades, in a few years he will have shot his wad and be gone. JMO, but it already appears that FB is on the wane.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Disagree it's anything more than barring off-the-radar purchases of, say, heroine or any other unlawful item.

Of course, there are anti-gunner firms all over the place. It's been known for some time that FB isn't a fan. Nothing new here.
    So the worlds largest social media site aligning with multiple anti-gun groups doesn't concern you at all? Thats just out of touch with the reality of modern day messaging. You did read that the only groups that FB "consulted" with were anti-gun? Great - now their platform for organization and messaging is FB.

This is only step one.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

I'm on Facebook, most of my page is cross-feed from Conservative Daily, the NRA, and friends that build AR's and shoot squirrels for fun. I'm not alarmed at all.
    blitzburgh and Patti like this.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by bigmacque View Post
    Zuckerberg will not have more power in a few decades, in a few years he will have shot his wad and be gone. JMO, but it already appears that FB is on the wane.
    I believe you are correct that Facebook will be a fading fad in the next 10+ years (good riddance.) The biggest threat I see to the quality of media content out there today is the growing trend for even the largest, established news sources (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, NYT...pick one) to use "contributing bloggers" instead of educated, time-tested news reporters as a main source of their content. The reason for this? #1 is that it's cheaper, much cheaper, than maintaining a staff of writers. While it may help save their sagging bottom line, it is introducing a huge number of young, uneducated, agenda-driven losers into the role of news reporter with a medium in which they can spew their agenda to the masses. This trend, of using "bloggers" as full-fledged reporters, has exploded in the past 5 years and I believe will eventually be the only source of content in all media. You and I will be the news reporters that influence the masses. When we get there, I foresee winners and losers. Those who champion their 2A rights will likely be losers.
    Gatling likes this.

What's a Facebook??? If I knew I could buy guns on Facebook I might have stayed on more than the few days it took me to realize it was a total waste of time. Every single person that I know who is or was on Facebook has slowly realized that for the most part after the initial frenzy of collecting friends they just stopped using it. To much trouble to keep up with your 800 "friends" you ended up with telling you what they had for breakfast, I quickly realized that if I was this uninterested in knowing what my "friends" where doing they must feel the same way about me ( by the way I had a plain bagel with coffee for breakfast in case your wondering). The few people that I know that still use Facebook regularly use it to keep in touch with friends/family in foreign countries, heck even my teenage nephews/nieces say that Facebook is not "cool" anymore.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have no idea what's on those social medias. None.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I have no idea what's on those social medias. None.
    Mainly idiots posting stupid pictures (lot's of pictures taken of themselves or "selfies") and comments about their daily lives, very little (if anything) of any substance...
    When Guns Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws will have guns

Just remember, When seconds count help is mere minutes away

Also remember, When you go to trial by jury you are putting yourself into the hands of 12 people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

We've been living with a steady decline in the quality of our media and information sources for some time now, some might argue since guys like Walter Cronkite went off the air but I believe it's been within the last 20 years or so. We essentially don't have a solid and steady stream of good information from anyone from which to draw info and news.

Newspapers will soon be totally by the wayside; I picked up my local news paper off the driveway the other morning and the headline regarding Russian and the Ukraine was totally counter to the late breaking news of the evening before -- the newspaper was essentially old news before it was even delivered. This decline in quality newsprint will only continue and probably speed up.

Everyone is competing for news, and with social media linking the common man on the street into a stream of information, it will become more and more important for people to develop some discernment when they hear something. Twitter feeds get picked up and re-tweeted, and the ability to send a first-hand account instantly to a twitter feed that broadcasts exponentially makes everyone a reporter.

The thing is, who are you reading? What is their take on things? Remember the old story about the guy that found the cooks log from the [mayflower/santa maria/insert your favorite famous ship name here]? People were so excited! They had an actual first-hand account of a famous voyage and everyone was waiting with baited breath to see what great secrets this journal would tell. It told all the secrets the cook had to tell: on Monday he used four pounds of bacon, served beans and rice and decided to hold off on the flour for a later date. That was it. The "news" account was his perspective. The same will be ever more true of things like twitter and Facebook and Instagram and SnapChat and the next generation of social media apps that "connect" us all but fail to bring us together.
    Bama61 likes this.

Calm down and have a cream soda Eeyores.

1. Facebook is in the early stages of losing young people. That is why they offer $3 Billion for Snapchat. New programs will rise and fall, most won't last.
    2. Mark Z may have lots of money, but so does Bloomy and lots of other liberals. It isn't a guaranteed difference maker.
    3. You are making a unsubstantiated correlation between OC and this action. Facebook is run by liberals. I am surprised the action was this weak. OC really depends on the area and whether they are ready for it. For example, there have been lots of marches for OC in Texas and it is popular enough that even Wendy Davis, the high priestess of the #1 liberal tenant; that Wendy Davis said she'd support OC. She doesn't mean it but felt she had to say it to get votes. Texas is much more ready for rifle OC. The other side was the Appleton, Wisconsin farmers market incident. We were not ready for it zince concealed carry was only 2 years old and while OC was legal, people had only do so with handguns. To OC a rifle at a massive farmers market (a fantastic soft target) was foolhardy.
    4. I am seeing more new people at the range, many women and many young. Deep down, most understand the desire to protect themselves and only need to get beyond their lack of knowledge and experience with guns. How often do you read stories about taking a new shooter for the first time and they get hooked?
    5. Lastly, this can't affect very many sales, especially with sites like Armslist and Gunbroker out there. Now if they ban any post with anything pro gun in it, then the social media site will face hell

Chin up folks. Win the small day to day battles, it'll add up in the end.
    Kahr CW380, Kahr P9, Walther P99AS

So they made it against the rules to break federal law? Facebook has already said they are not going to prevent us from selling or trading guns on our own personal pages as long as we are abiding by the law and not promoting breaking any gun laws.
    John Luttrell

I don't do MyFace.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links