Idaho guns on campus bill passes House, goes to Governor!

This is a discussion on Idaho guns on campus bill passes House, goes to Governor! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been watching this one for a while, and while it is not perfect, it is a step in the right direction. House: Pass guns ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Idaho guns on campus bill passes House, goes to Governor!

Thumbs up Idaho guns on campus bill passes House, goes to Governor!

I've been watching this one for a while, and while it is not perfect, it is a step in the right direction.

House: Pass guns on campus bill - Local - Idaho Press-Tribune - Empowering the Community
    Aceoky, BenGoodLuck and airslot like this.
    For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf,
    and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2. Remove Ads

Well I for one say good on ya Recon!! I read the full article and frankly was not surprised at the nay Sayers trying to stifle this effort. As to having to 'find $5 million to enhance security' by cutting professor salaries and shrinking athletics seems like a fair trade to me tho I'd prefer to see overpaid libturd professors cut substantially in order to get them to voluntarily leave.

The issue of no firearms in the dormitories is pure Bravo Sierra if the bill passes. Anyone possessing a CC permit (or whatever it is called in Idaho) if she/he can CC legally on the campus generally ought not be denied that right when in their dorm room. I had friends that lived in Lander Hall at the U of W in the early 1970s. They were 2 man rooms. I don't understand the hysteria of no guns in dorms. Then again my brain has not turned to mush as it seems most anti gunners brains have.

I am 61. I've had my CC permit about 30 years. It is only since I came to DC that I now carry basically 24/7 eight days a week. I pocket carry. I am not a cowboy. I am not nor would I want to be LEO. All I want is to go about my business and be left alone. If someone tried a home invasion on me I need only reach with my right hand and I have 2 wheel guns and a semi auto to convince them to get the Hell off my porch. Hopefully 36R in 3 guns would be enuf ammo. Otherwise I'll need a timeout to get to my safe for a rifle...

I commend you Recon. I did some politicking for the 2A when I was younger. It was worth it. I 676 was soundly defeated by WA voters by a margin of 3 to 1. The Brady crew crawled back under their collective rocks.

I wish you Good Luck!!

HUA
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Butch Otter, ID Governor (R-1) -- voting record on 'gun control' related issues @ OnTheIssues.org:

• Opposes restrictions on the right to bear arms. (Aug 2010)
    • Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
    • Rated A by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun rights voting record. (Dec 2003)
    • No United Nations taxation on firearms. (Sep 2003)
    • Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
    ShooterGranny likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Butch Otter, ID Governor (R-1) -- voting record on 'gun control' related issues @ OnTheIssues.org:

• Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
    WOW Clearly Outstanding!! If ole Butch ever tires of living in Idaho I hope to moves to WA state and decides to run for Governor HERE!! He'd have My Vote!!!!!!!

You're up pretty late for an old timer CCW!!
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    WOW Clearly Outstanding!! If ole Butch ever tires of living in Idaho I hope to moves to WA state and decides to run for Governor HERE!! He'd have My Vote!!!!!!!

You're up pretty late for an old timer CCW!!

The 'early bird' and all that. Oh, wait ... is that the sky starting to pale?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    From article;

The Legislature’s choice to tune out college leaders and students who say they don’t want a weaponized campus is “sending a message of disregard and contempt” to the stakeholders who could be the ones staring down the barrel, she said.

Rep. Shirley Ringo, D-Moscow, said she worried about putting guns in the hands of students who may develop mental illness or even just suffer a lapse in judgment. “For a person such as that to have easy access to a gun is problematic,” Ringo said.
    END

Clueless idiots who cannot rationalize the fact that that same "student who may develop mental illness or suffer a lapse of judgement" will bring that same firearm to campus if they want, regardless of the fact that there is currently a law saying they cannot.

Fools.
    Recon1342 and ShooterGranny like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

With all of that said (and I know Butch personally....for many, many years) we need to watch his actions carefully on this. A couple of weeks ago he was saying he was concerned the bill would prevent Federal research money from coming into one of the Eastern Idaho State Universities. While at the beginning of the Legislative session he said he supported the bill, he won't take a position now, one way or the other.

What is good, a neighbor of mine (as I drink my coffee I can look out my window and see his home about 3/4 of a mile away) Russ Fulcher, is running for Gov on the "R" ticket and is even more pro-gun and conservative than Butch, who is running for re-election. Butch stands a chance of losing the primary right now and a veto on this bill would seal his fate.

While not a perfect bill, it is a start and that is how we do things here....a bite at a time. There is currently a little over 1,200 Enhanced Concealed Weapons permits in the State out of over 100,000 regular permits A closer look at who can carry weapons on campus | KTVB.COM Boise The bill is only rectifying a change to the State weapons laws that inadvertently gave the Colleges the ability to ban guns on campus. It happened when the Legislature had to clarify the law to PREVENT a city (Moscow) from passing anti-gun laws. When it pre-empted that from happening they added a clause to allow "schools" to decide whether guns were allowed on campus. They meant high/grade school districts, not Colleges and the first thing Colleges did was ban guns. This just corrects an unintended consequence of the 2008 change.

I wish I could predict Butch Otter is going to sign the bill into law, but I can't. I am very worried he will veto it after the session is out and if he does, there is no chance of override.
    Last edited by Chorizo; March 8th, 2014 at 02:14 PM.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

I largely agree with Gov. Otter's policies; that being said, he has been in office for awhile, and I am concerned he will forget who pays his bills...
    -Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Member
    Here we go. Keep an eye on this. The Gov has been squishy on this for the last few weeks.

Otter to meet Monday with student opponents of campus gun bill | Idaho Legislature | Idahostatesman.com
    Aceoky and Recon1342 like this.

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member
    This bill has been signed by the Legislative leaders and has been delivered to the Gov's desk, today 11 March.

The Gov did not meet with the Anti-gun students yesterday, his staff did, which is a good sign.

We will know in the next week which way this is going to go.

http://legislature.idaho.gov/legislation/2014/S1254.htm
    Last edited by Chorizo; March 11th, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
    Parrisk, Aceoky, ccw9mm and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member

Excellent news. Now I just have to upgrade to the enhanced CCW.
    Aceoky likes this.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Member
    Aceoky likes this.

No offense, Chorizo, but most of those folks in the comments section must be from Boise... Blood in the streets and all that.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Rep. Shirley Ringo, D-Moscow, said she worried about putting guns in the hands of students who may develop mental illness or even just suffer a lapse in judgment. “For a person such as that to have easy access to a gun is problematic,” Ringo said.
    Ahhh, she was a co-star in "The Minority Report" ;right?
    Recon1342 and Aceoky like this.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links