Hollywood anti-gunners and Charlton Heston

This is a discussion on Hollywood anti-gunners and Charlton Heston within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Something I had read a long time ago (during the Rodney King riots), but I had not had the chance to track down until now: ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Hollywood anti-gunners and Charlton Heston

Hollywood anti-gunners and Charlton Heston

Something I had read a long time ago (during the Rodney King riots), but I had not had the chance to track down until now:
    Charlton Heston’s final book, "The Courage to Be Free"
    -----------------------
    Here is my absolute favorite anecdote from the Rodney King Riots, this from Charlton Heston about the lefty Hollywood anti-gun set:

During the Los Angeles riots in 1992, a good many of these folk suffered a change of heart. As smoke from burning buildings smudged the skyline and the TV news showed looters smashing windows, laughing as they carted off boom boxes and booze, I got a few phone calls from firmly anti-gun friends in clear conflict. ‘Umm, Chuck, you have quite a few . . . ah, guns, don’t you?’

‘Indeed.’

‘Could you lend me one for a day or so? I tried to buy one, but they have this waiting period . . .’

‘Yeah, I know. I remember you voted for that. Do you know how to use a shotgun?’

‘No, I thought maybe you could teach me. This is getting a little scary.’

‘I noticed. I could teach you, but not in an hour. You might shoot yourself instead of the bad guys. The Marines are coming up from Pendleton; that’ll end it. When it does, go buy yourself a good shotgun and take some lessons.’

-------------------

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Not surprising. Most of these people never even contemplate what the "little people" have to live with. They have these ideals based on their extraordinarily privileged and sheltered existences and they try to apply their paradigm to everyone else. It is naive at best and absolutely fascist oftentimes.

The only thing that continually surprises me is how many of the sheeple actually listen to these morons.

Lead Moderator
    You don't need it , until your life is in danger the. You really realize you really need defensive arms.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Jew Without a Gun

is a good read too ... Same story ...
    CIBMike, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Not surprising. Most of these people never even contemplate what the "little people" have to live with. They have these ideals based on their extraordinarily privileged and sheltered existences and they try to apply their paradigm to everyone else. It is naive at best and absolutely fascist oftentimes.

The only thing that continually surprises me is how many of the sheeple actually listen to these morons.
    They LOVE living in their Leftist Fantasy land. It's easy, stay 13 years old forever.
    RickyD and Aceoky like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

"Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Jew Without a Gun

is a good read too ... Same story ...
    VERY good read. Boy, you can really tell when someone is a professional writer!

VIP Member
    While he may have been flooded with calls about it. I'd bet not 1 in 10 followed through after the riots. They went right back to their anti-gun agenda.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    What's that old cliche? You don't need a gun until you need one and when you need one you really, really need one.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    What's that old cliche? You don't need a gun until you need one and when you need one you really, really need one.
    I'd rather have a gun and not need one than need a gun and not have one.....

VIP Member
    I know a lot of people don't like the sheepdog analogy, but Dave Grossman uses it to make a very valid point, demonstrated by the Heston quotes. Sheep have a natural dislike of the sheepdog, and don't really like seeing him or even having him around when they are doing sheep stuff. When the predators show up, though, they instinctively head for him, knowing that he will protect them. Once the threat is gone, the relationship returns to normal.
    ccw9mm, Ghost1958, Aceoky and 6 others like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RicT View Post

‘I noticed. I could teach you, but not in an hour. You might shoot yourself instead of the bad guys. The Marines are coming up from Pendleton; that’ll end it. When it does, go buy yourself a good shotgun and take some lessons.’

-------------------
    I was one of those Marines.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    I was one of those Marines.
    Thank you for your service sir.

I bet those people just waited it out for you to get things settled down, and never bought a gun. The mindset of " It won't happen to me." still applied to them as far as they were concerned. I know a couple of anti's that were mugged at gunpoint. Instead of arming themselves to better protect themselves, they seriously considered suing the police for not being able to protect them. No lawyer they talked to would touch it.
    glockstar and CWOUSCG like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post

I bet those people just waited it out for you to get things settled down, and never bought a gun. The mindset of " It won't happen to me." still applied to them as far as they were concerned. I know a couple of anti's that were mugged at gunpoint. Instead of arming themselves to better protect themselves, they seriously considered suing the police for not being able to protect them. No lawyer they talked to would touch it.
    Of course not. The "supremes" said the cops have no duty to protect you.
    Ianthin and CWOUSCG like this.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------— George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ianthin View Post

You are welcome. It was an honor to give back to my Country.

The Special Purpose MAGTF (Marine Air Ground Task Force) was assigned to the Compton "Korea" sector (among other areas) and the Korean shop owners were the ONLY places that were not looted and burned down. They had guns and posted armed guards on the roof.

The Hell's Angels were running drugs and guns until we got there and we set up roadblocks and shut it down. Previous to our arrival, the Nat Guard was setting up roadblocks but were ignored as they were not issued ammo nor were they allowed to shoot. We were recently back from the Gulf War and were a little more ready. The first time someone ran a roadblock (tried to run a Marine over) one round to the head stopped him, word got out and that stopped.

The Hell's Angels took a couple of potshots at our helos, but we eventually got the cops on them and kept them out of the area.

It was an ugly thing. I had real reservations about being deployed against our own Citizens and watched the deployment carefully (I was the acting air commander to the MAGTF as well as the Section leader for the air support). But our Marines handled themselves well and clearly understood they were there to restore order and no more. All Police work was done by the cops.

Of all of the things I did in my 21 years, that was the most disconcerting and thought provoking.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links