Don't argue...just watch. Chicago Sun-Times on CCL permits.

This is a discussion on Don't argue...just watch. Chicago Sun-Times on CCL permits. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I couldn't help myself but to comment on this fool's article. ( Don?t argue over gun permits, just watch - Chicago Sun-Times ) Summary: 5,000 ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree97Likes

Thread: Don't argue...just watch. Chicago Sun-Times on CCL permits.

I couldn't help myself but to comment on this fool's article. (Don?t argue over gun permits, just watch - Chicago Sun-Times)

Summary:
    5,000 concealed-carry permits have been sent out in Illinois. Chicago's Police Supt. is now saying that we need to stand by and watch what happens following with his usual more guns is not the answer. Chicago Sun-Times had to add their typical nonsense;
    - Do people need those guns?
    - If there were any good civilian gun stories then NRA would surely engrave it on a coin.
    - Guns are about perception, fear, fantasy.
    - Some recollection of a gun on a motorcycle who was in fear for his life. Sun-Times claims it was racial.

My comment:
    You may want to sit down to hear this one; I have been carrying a loaded (+1 in the chamber) firearm in Illinois for about 5 days now. Wow...my heart started pumping faster just thinking about it. Surprisingly, this tool is not with me right now because I have a very nice job that allows me to be comfortable in some office. Also, my office building has security...not really sure why...we live in such a safe and comfortable world.
    Enough jokes though.
    Neil, you and I can go about our casual office business without any worry. We don't allow racism and stereotypical jokes to enter our workplace. If it does our fine HR department can deal with that. But what if that cushy office job was replaced by a door to door your house is being foreclosure messenger? Well you would have to agree that these folks get more action then we do. No spilled coffee on their white shirts. No black trouser and brown shoe dilemma. Should they exercise their right to carry a firearm?

To me personally, the choice to carry or not should be left to individuals. It is their life, their risk, and their safety. Sit back and watch but maybe in the meantime write an article about the lack of punishment for parents who knowingly use a recalled crib.
    mano3, ANGLICO, Old Sarge and 2 others like this.

- If there were any good civilian gun stories then NRA would surely engrave it on a coin.
    Nope, minting coins is the government's business. The NRA just publishes "The Armed Citizen" column each month as it has for over two generations.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Yet again...

Lesson for the day: Don't live in Chicago!
    Nations crumble from within when the citizenry asks of government those things which it might better provide for itself... Man is not free unless government is limited... As government expands, liberty contracts.
    -Ronald Reagan

You won't hear any good reports but you will hear plenty of bad reports..
    gatorbait51, tdave, mano3 and 1 others like this.

Well, at least 5,000 & counting folks in the state,,,,, totally
    disagree with the statement that guns are not the answer,,,
    It would be interesting to know if this guy has a gun currently
    or bodyguards.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet1234 View Post
    It would be interesting to know if this guy has a gun currently or bodyguards.
    Interestingly, one of the commentators points out that the Sun-Times writer has a record of domestic violence. This makes him ineligible for having anything to do with guns in IL. Hmmm I guess he could still write about guns, just not have them. Maybe he's just angry.
    Aceoky, RickyD, JTNiggle and 7 others like this.

Trust us if we were not trust worthy we would tell you. Yeah right.
    Aceoky, gatorbait51, OD* and 1 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array Oldpsufan's Avatar
    I didn't click on your link because it's, by your description, just another anti that I don't care to waste my time with. But thanks anyway.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Still trying to figure out exactly what point the writer is trying to make. So far I've got he doesn't think we need guns for protection, residents of rural areas are generally paranoid, and there is no reason to feel concerned over your own safety because of well documented incidents in other cities where and armed person made a bad decision and took a life unnecessarily (movie, gas station examples). Aside from that, what is his prediction of future events? 3 options that I see.

1: Gun crime goes up. We get "I told you so!" from the anti crowd.
    2: No change in gun crime. Then it's "See, you don't really need a gun!"
    3: Gun crime goes down. "The cops are getting on top of the problem so you don't have to worry or get a gun. They've got you covered."

He left the door open to cover his backside no matter the outcome.

No matter how this gets spun, I'm steering clear of IL.

ETA: This is the first article I've read from a major news organization on this topic where every comment was against the author. Not a single comment agreeing with him. Wonder if this actually made the printed paper or is just buried on the site.
    Aceoky, BadgerJ, tdave and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Here near NOVA we have already done the research.

After 'Dramatic Drops' in Homicide Rate, MPD Chief Cathy Lanier Says Now Department 'Has To Fight Harder' | Homicide Watch D.C. | Mark every death. Remember every victim. Follow every case.

Cathy Lanier DC's Police Chief Stated at the end of 2013,

"After five years, Metropolitan Police Department Chief Cathy Lanier says that her strategy to reduce murders in Washington D.C. is on the right track, "

But of course the PD will take all the credit, and the fact that is was 5 years almost to the T that Crime began to plumet in the District after the Heller decision, but of course this has nothing to do with it!

District of Columbia v. Heller
    Supreme Court of the United States

Argued March 18, 2008
    Decided June 26, 2008

District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), was a landmark case in which the Supreme Court of the United States held in a 5-4 decision that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution applies to federal enclaves and protects an individual's right to possess a firearm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home. The decision did not address the question of whether the Second Amendment extends beyond federal enclaves to the states,[1] which was addressed later by McDonald v. Chicago (2010). It was the first Supreme Court case to decide whether the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep and bear arms for self-defense.[2]
    tdave, JTNiggle, Aceoky and 1 others like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

What we are supposed to do is find flaws, point out problems, hint toward solutions. That’s our role.
    I guess I've been wrong all this time in believing the role of a journalist was to "Report the News"

MPD Chief Cathy Lanier says they need to crack down on illegal guns. I'm guessing in her mind that means if you harass law abiding gun owners criminals will voluntarily disarm. That makes sense doesn't it?
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Maybe we should flood this guys email with stories of lawful citizens that are armed protecting the homes and families. It won't change his mind, but it will piss him off.
    gatorbait51, gregivq and Aceoky like this.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    If there were any good civilian gun stories then NRA would surely engrave it on a coin.
    Well, you do have a daily newspaper and website where you could publish any incidents of citizens using guns to defend themselves but you never do that. You won't allow that because it doesn't fit your template that guns can only be used for evil. You wouldn't want to leave any hint of an impression that guns could be used for good.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Maybe we should flood this guys email with stories of lawful citizens that are armed protecting the homes and families. It won't change his mind, but it will piss him off.
    Based on his Twitter account comment he is taking Piers Moran lead; "Based on the frenzy of comments and re-tweets, I think I'm going to ask to become the paper's gun rights reporter."
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links