Oklahoma Sheriffs Not Welcome in Capital Building

This is a discussion on Oklahoma Sheriffs Not Welcome in Capital Building within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just like they do every year, a contingent of county sheriffs met at Oklahoma’s state capitol building to meet with lawmakers and lobby for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Oklahoma Sheriffs Not Welcome in Capital Building

Oklahoma Sheriffs Not Welcome in Capital Building

Just like they do every year, a contingent of county sheriffs met at Oklahoma’s state capitol building to meet with lawmakers and lobby for the things they need. Unlike before, however, they were asked to check in their sidearms after a senator complained Tuesday. So they left, according to Wagoner county sheriff Bob Colbert .

The Strange Meeting In Montgomery and Dothan Delegation Meeting With Legislators :: RickeyStokesNews.com!

The Strange Meeting In Montgomery and Dothan Delegation Meeting With Legislators :: RickeyStokesNews.com!

2. Remove Ads

Oklahoma?? Are your sure?? Your links seem to pertain to "Alabama" and "Montgomery", presummably the Montgomery of Alabama.
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

Quote Originally Posted by KimBobTex View Post
    Oklahoma?? Are your sure?? Your links seem to pertain to "Alabama" and "Montgomery", presummably the Montgomery of Alabama.
    I concur. In addition, the links go to an article dated February 2013, a little over a year ago.

Did the OP merely post the wrong links, or is he resurrecting a year old violation of Alabama's Sunshine Law?

The following story may be what the OP is referring to:

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/...2351395058144/
    Aceoky likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Happened last Tuesday per The Blaze TheBlaze - Breaking news and opinion in OC, Ok.

Another case of the tail wagging the dog.

MY BAD....Thanks for keeping me honest.

TRX
    What part of "no firearms" isn't clear?

And, for that matter, sheriffs are elected officials, just like senators and governors. They wear two hats - politician and law enforcement. If they're at the capitol serving a warrant or arresting someone, that's LE business. If it's for meetings, it's political business, so no LE privileges should apply.

Disarm or leave,,,,, seems to me that decided the way
    I would have and left ,,,,, good for the sheriffs,,,, no
    telling who would like to catch them unarmed.
    Ghost1958 and 357and40 like this.

Distinguished Member
    Read the story from the local OK newspaper: Flap over guns in Oklahoma Capitol leaves group of sheriffs upset | News OK

According to this version of the story, it sounds like some staffers asked them to disarm not knowing who they were. They were ushered out, talked and then according this story they were let back in with their weapons.

It is unclear if any elected officials asked for them to be reomoved or if this was some JR staffer being dumb.

Also according to this article, a number of legislators appologized for the incident.

It isn't acceptable, but it isn't as bad as it first sounded either.
    Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    As far as I know, no LEO has to disarm to enter a state building. Should have told them to bug off and gone in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    As far as I know, no LEO has to disarm to enter a state building. Should have told them to bug off and gone in.
    Down here only Capitol Police and DPS are allowed to carry in the State Capitol Building. There are lock boxes available.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I read the story out of a local OK source. It is a shame, but you have to remember these Sheriffs are elected to their posts , by the people of their community. The politicos in charge really do believe they are exempt from every thing they impose on us the citizen. It is bothersome that they (or one?) don't trust even the police with firearms. I am sure they have their security and I bet they are armed well. But like it has been said before... It's not about Violence control... It's about PEOPLE control.
    virg and 357and40 like this.
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Distinguished Member
    The governor of Oklahoma is a right-on lady who supports the 2nd. amendment and is considered a friend to law enforcement. I would guess when she heard about this she took care of the problem. The capitol is her house. Whomever made the decision to bar the sheriffs with their weapons needs to be dismissed. I would really like to read the whole, accurate story of what went down.
    Aceoky likes this.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

As would I OldnFat.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    "We're the people that protect these people," he said. "If the state troopers are satisfied that we're OK in that building I'm pretty sure that the legislators should have something else to worry about such as the economy or something."

Tell 'em Bob!
    Recon1342, airslot and Aceoky like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member
    Stupid rule in the first place.

No rule against being armed, open or concealed, in Idaho's State Capital, in session or not.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links