Panel Recommends Erosion of Florida Carry Rights

This is a discussion on Panel Recommends Erosion of Florida Carry Rights within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Could be happening a little at a time.... Panel approves 'stand your ground' changes The bipartisan bill would: •Clarify that a law enforcement agency must ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Panel Recommends Erosion of Florida Carry Rights

Could be happening a little at a time....

Panel approves 'stand your ground' changes

The bipartisan bill would:

•Clarify that a law enforcement agency must fully investigate whether a person claiming self-defense has lawfully used force. It also would no longer preclude lawsuits from third parties who are injured by negligent conduct used in self-defense.
    •The measure would also require the Department of Law Enforcement to develop a training curriculum for participants in neighborhood crime watch programs and require local law enforcement agencies to apply the curriculum when training program participants.

Panel approves 'stand your ground' changes | News - Home
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    YOU are the weapon, your firearm is just a tool!

"The Panel" doesn't make laws , those who do have made it quite clear the law will not be changing - around the "famous Z trial" this was also attempted under pressure and went nowhere fast - I'd expect no less this go around
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    Could be happening a little at a time....

Panel approves 'stand your ground' changes

The bipartisan bill would:

•Clarify that a law enforcement agency must fully investigate whether a person claiming self-defense has lawfully used force. It also would no longer preclude lawsuits from third parties who are injured by negligent conduct used in self-defense.
    The measure would also require the Department of Law Enforcement to develop a training curriculum for participants in neighborhood crime watch programs and require local law enforcement agencies to apply the curriculum when training program participants.

Panel approves 'stand your ground' changes | News - Home
    There goes the neighborhood. Next, they'll require you to pay for the training to protect your neighborhood. Whenever you get a group of folks together that think they are smarter then everyone around them, nothing good can come from it. And you can quote me on that.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like bravo sierra to me. Are Florida legislators caving in due to media hype and their usual bravo sierra? Time to thin out out the legislator herd responsible. The legislators sending a message with this new legislation need to hear a new message as well and that is that they are fired.
    Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NONAME762 View Post
    Sounds like bravo sierra to me. Are Florida legislators caving in due to media hype and their usual bravo sierra? Time to thin out out the legislator herd responsible. The legislators sending a message with this new legislation need to hear a new message as well and that is that they are fired.
    Is this a gentle way of saying Barbara Streisand?

VIP Member
    I think the title is jumping the gun. A panel can put forward all the proposals they want. It takes a vote by both houses and signature by the Governor to change the law. Let's wait and see what happens before jumping the gun.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I think the title is jumping the gun. A panel can put forward all the proposals they want. It takes a vote by both houses and signature by the Governor to change the law. Let's wait and see what happens before jumping the gun.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. This panel of mental midgets can come up with whatever bird-brained ideas they wish to but it has a long way to go before it becomes law, if it does at all. I seem to remember it being made pretty clear that SYG was not going to be changed anytime soon.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Just keep Charlie Crist out and we should be alright

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    It sounds like another group wanting to be able to say "Look we tried to do what's right" I guess in their own minds it makes them feel better.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Quote Originally Posted by Once View Post
    Just keep Charlie Crist out and we should be alright
    I'll most certainly do my part to prevent this from ever happening. I just hope the uninfomred voters down south will do the same.
    Aceoky, Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - T. Jefferson

How does this actually effect anything. The police are required to investigate already in any homicide, even in SYG cases. If you negligently shoot someone, you will face a court-probably criminal and civil, and deserve any punishment deemed appropriate. The neighborhood watches should have some training, preferably emphasizing "observe and report", explaining that they are not cops.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Before everyone not from FL jumps on the "OMG" bandwagon, there is nothing in FL current law about not performing an investigation. What it says is, in a case of claimed SD the "suspect" cannot be arrested until the investigation is complete. There is always an investigation of some level, whether the evidence on scene is obvious or not. Store owner shooter robber with gun while the video tapes run--won't be much of an investigation. Guy shoots another guy in the dark with no witnesses, that investigation will be longer and more in depth. The police--despite all the hoopla--acted IAW the law in not arresting G. Z. at the scene as demanded by all those who wanted him hung.

Whether or not current "Immunity" law would protect a shooter from civil suits from innocent bystanders being shot is questionable, and that law could stand some clarification. I doubt that any judge would refuse to allow a lawsuit from an innocent party or grant immunity in that case.

So in reality, little is being recommended for change. When they had the previous panel investigation, it did recommend the law needed some fine tuning, and this is a result of that. Never did the panel state the SYD and SD laws were fine as is.

The thread title is misleading and inflammatory.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    The devil is in the details.

Investigations already happen, so this may not mean much of a change. Lawsuits also already happen and this one points specifically to negligence, so it is almost certainly happening. And, the last point requires LE agencies to develop and use certain training materials when training neighborhood watch groups, but it does not say such training would be necessary, just that materials would be developed.

This needs to move a LOT further before it becomes a threat. It is certainly worth keeping an eye on and those in FL might want to contact their representatives to let them know how you feel about it.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    And this is the same legislature that has introduced a school carry bill also.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This is certainly related. It's becoming an interesting discussion

Should gun owners have privacy, be secure from searches?

An intriguing story in yesterday’s Mint Press News, asking whether the Fourth Amendment applies to gun owners, coincidentally appeared as a Seattle Times reader, weighing in on a weekend story about firearms injuries in Washington, suggested that “unscheduled warrantless visits” by law enforcement to the homes of gun owners “Sounds like a good idea to me.”

Should gun owners have privacy, be secure from searches? - Seattle gun rights | Examiner.com
    Aceoky likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links