Yay Georgia, or, Another Black-Eye for Bloomberg

This is a discussion on Yay Georgia, or, Another Black-Eye for Bloomberg within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just received the following message from Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news March 21, 2014 Dear GCO Member, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Yay Georgia, or, Another Black-Eye for Bloomberg

Yay Georgia, or, Another Black-Eye for Bloomberg

Just received the following message from Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

March 21, 2014

Dear GCO Member,

Sine die has come and gone and so are a lot of places previously off limits for carrying of firearms. HB60 was agreed to and passed (112-58) last night in the House and now goes to the governor's desk for his signature. This has been a long hard year (actually 4 years since we had any meaningful pro gun legislation) and we appreciate all the efforts put forth by you, the members of GCO this year. We would never have been able to accomplish this feat without you backing us up and contacting your legislators in the professional manner in which you conducted yourselves.

Was HB60 all we wanted? Of course not! But we feel that we got a great bill and this will clear the way for some great imporvements in the future. Ad those of you who have been with us for any length of time know, we ask for everything we want and accept what we can get without giving up any of the gains we have made. We keep marching down the field and one day, we will get all our rights back. This is the way we lost our rights (one step at a time) and this is the way we will get them back. There is always next year.

We are almost home but the governor still has to sign the bill into legislation and then we wait until July 1 for the bill to go into effect. I know we continue to ask more of you and we do have a couple more requests for our members.

1) We need to contact Governor Deal and ask him to sign HB60 into law as he now has 3 options.

A) He may sign the bill and it becomes law on July 1, 2014

B) He may veto the bill and send it back to the chambers, which can be overridden by a 2/3 majority vote from each chamber.

C) He can ignore the bill and it becomes law in either 7 or 40 days, depending on when it was transmitted to the governor. We asked that it be transmitted immediately, but did not get confirmation on whether that happened or not.

We expect Governor Deal to sign the bill as he has always stated that he will sign any pro 2A bill that reaches his desk. This fits that definition to a "T". That is also a promise he has on his reelection website.

2) Contact your elected officials who voted for the bill and let them know you appreciate their vote on HB60. It is always nice for them to know you appreciate their efforts. This is why several GCO members waited outside the House Chamber to shake hands and thank the representatives who voted to make HB60 a reality and also why this email is being composed at this late hour. Your email, phone calls, and letters will be greatly appreciated by them.

It should also be noted that the NRA worked hand in hand with GCO in this process and a large portion of the credit for passing this bill goes to them. Those who are not NRA members should think about joining them. We have buried the hatchet so to speak, of our differences from the past and are now fighting together. Tonight, we agreed to continue our march towards restoring our 2A rights together. We need them to help us fight the Bloomberg money train that we faced during this session and they need us for our local contacts and influence. GeorgiaCarry.Org and the NRA make an awesome team!

We plan to put out a full update this weekend.
    Last edited by high pockets; March 21st, 2014 at 02:37 PM. Reason: edited for brevity
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

Heck, yeah.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

Church carry needs to be changed from opt-in to opt-out. But it's a moot point for me. I'd probably burst into flames if I entered a church.
    Springfield Armory XDS .45
    Kahr CM9
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    That's great, but I could see anywhere what the bill said.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Basically, it allows carry in bars, churches that opt in, non-secure areas in airports and government buildings where there is no security. It also removes a requirement for fingerprints to renew a license and gives some options to get a license to some who might have been otherwise ineligible. There are a few other points as well, but they are a little smaller IMO.

It wasn't everything we wanted, but it is another move in the right dirction!
    gatorbait51 and BugDude like this.

All on the Gov now. What are his political aspirations? If he want to be a judge then he might please whomever can appoint him. If he wants to run again he will probably sign. Hoping you folks get rewarded for all your hard work.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Here's a link to the actual bill.

HB*60*2013-2014 Regular Session

A summary is also on www.georgiacarry.org under the "Current Legislation" tab on the left side of page.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

- Anon

Great news
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

VIP Member
    It should also be noted that the NRA worked hand in hand with GCO in this process and a large portion of the credit for passing this bill goes to them. Those who are not NRA members should think about joining them.
    To those that think he NRA isn't important, you need to take heed.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

It's an election year. That's probably why this bill went so well. The governer is big government, pro taxes, all politics type of guy. He'll probably either sign it or not act - whichever will get him the most votes. I doubt strongly he would veto.

Any win for us is another black eye for Bloomberg.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    Basically, ... non-secure areas in airports ...
    Not quite accurate. Decisions by SCOTUS determined that carry in non-secure portions of airports is okay. What this bill does, is to make it a misdemeanor, rather than a felony to "accidentally," or inadvertently carry into the secure area of airport. I'm not sure how this works with TSA, but they seem to be making a big thing about this.

I am disappointed to see college campus carry removed from this legislation, but that was the only way this bill was allowed to proceed. If we look at this like it is, it's just a start and we can continue to push for campus carry in the future.

In the meantime, I will just get to continue to read about robberys, assaults, and rapes on the Georgia Tech and Georgia State campuses. The Emory and Grady grounds are pretty much the same, but allowing students and/or faculty to carry a means of self-defense is out of the question for now. At least that is the opinion of the chancellors and their cohorts. I mean, why be concerned about a few rapes and assaults, as long as the money keeps coming in from the deep pocket donors.
    RickyD likes this.

- Anon

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Not quite accurate. Decisions by SCOTUS determined that carry in non-secure portions of airports is okay. What this bill does, is to make it a misdemeanor, rather than a felony to "accidentally," or inadvertently carry into the secure area of airport. I'm not sure how this works with TSA, but they seem to be making a big thing about this.

I am disappointed to see college campus carry removed from this legislation, but that was the only way this bill was allowed to proceed. If we look at this like it is, it's just a start and we can continue to push for campus carry in the future.

In the meantime, I will just get to continue to read about robberys, assaults, and rapes on the Georgia Tech and Georgia State campuses. The Emory and Grady grounds are pretty much the same, but allowing students and/or faculty to carry a means of self-defense is out of the question for now. At least that is the opinion of the chancellors and their cohorts. I mean, why be concerned about a few rapes and assaults, as long as the money keeps coming in from the deep pocket donors.
    I agree completely about college campuses - it was the biggest loss and my reason for the 'not everything we wanted' comment.

My daughter is on her way to graduate school and I had truly hoped that the campus carry would be made legal. Far too many major campuses in GA are in bad areas. I cannot understand why we are willing to sacrifice our students to this madness.

The regents for the major state schools all made a big deal out of this bill and the legislature pulled campus carry very late in the game as a way of getting them to move out of the way. It was a political move meant to get something passed.

Governor Deal is far from perfect, but he has repeatedly stated publicly that he would sign any pro 2A legislation that came across his desk. This bill was supported by every gun lobby in the state and the NRA. There is no way he doesn't sign it without major political blowback. I would hope he has the sense to make this law or at the very least stay out of the way - it becomes law UNLESS he veto's - his signature or his silence both lead to passage.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Just received the following message from Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news

March 21, 2014

Dear GCO Member,

Sine die has come and gone and so are a lot of places previously off limits for carrying of firearms. HB60 was agreed to and passed (112-58) last night in the House and now goes to the governor's desk for his signature. This has been a long hard year (actually 4 years since we had any meaningful pro gun legislation) and we appreciate all the efforts put forth by you, the members of GCO this year. We would never have been able to accomplish this feat without you backing us up and contacting your legislators in the professional manner in which you conducted yourselves.

Was HB60 all we wanted? Of course not! But we feel that we got a great bill and this will clear the way for some great imporvements in the future. Ad those of you who have been with us for any length of time know, we ask for everything we want and accept what we can get without giving up any of the gains we have made. We keep marching down the field and one day, we will get all our rights back. This is the way we lost our rights (one step at a time) and this is the way we will get them back. There is always next year.

We are almost home but the governor still has to sign the bill into legislation and then we wait until July 1 for the bill to go into effect. I know we continue to ask more of you and we do have a couple more requests for our members.

1) We need to contact Governor Deal and ask him to sign HB60 into law as he now has 3 options.

A) He may sign the bill and it becomes law on July 1, 2014

B) He may veto the bill and send it back to the chambers, which can be overridden by a 2/3 majority vote from each chamber.

C) He can ignore the bill and it becomes law in either 7 or 40 days, depending on when it was transmitted to the governor. We asked that it be transmitted immediately, but did not get confirmation on whether that happened or not.

We expect Governor Deal to sign the bill as he has always stated that he will sign any pro 2A bill that reaches his desk. This fits that definition to a "T". That is also a promise he has on his reelection website.

2) Contact your elected officials who voted for the bill and let them know you appreciate their vote on HB60. It is always nice for them to know you appreciate their efforts. This is why several GCO members waited outside the House Chamber to shake hands and thank the representatives who voted to make HB60 a reality and also why this email is being composed at this late hour. Your email, phone calls, and letters will be greatly appreciated by them.

It should also be noted that the NRA worked hand in hand with GCO in this process and a large portion of the credit for passing this bill goes to them. Those who are not NRA members should think about joining them. We have buried the hatchet so to speak, of our differences from the past and are now fighting together. Tonight, we agreed to continue our march towards restoring our 2A rights together. We need them to help us fight the Bloomberg money train that we faced during this session and they need us for our local contacts and influence. GeorgiaCarry.Org and the NRA make an awesome team!

We plan to put out a full update this weekend.
    Now if only your OP mentioned what HB60 is about so we knew what this thread is about.....

Quote Originally Posted by stylus View Post
    Now if only your OP mentioned what HB60 is about so we knew what this thread is about.....
    See post #7

- Anon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links