The Second Amendment: A Symbol of Freedom or an Invitation to Violence?

This is a discussion on The Second Amendment: A Symbol of Freedom or an Invitation to Violence? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Second Amendment: A Symbol of Freedom or an Invitation to Violence?*|*John W. Whitehead...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: The Second Amendment: A Symbol of Freedom or an Invitation to Violence?

The Second Amendment: A Symbol of Freedom or an Invitation to Violence?

CWOUSCG, Kilowatt3, tdave and 3 others like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Could be both if thing go on as they are....
    "Don't shout for help at night, you may wake your neighbors"

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    All symbols can be used to incite violence. But you can't blame the symbol any more than you can blame the spoon for Rosy O'Donnell being fat.
    gatorbait51 and Bama61 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    All symbols can be used to incite violence. But you can't blame the symbol any more than you can blame the spoon for Rosy O'Donnell being fat.
    Great point. Any of the Amendments can be construed as problems given the desire and circumstance. Look at the assaults on the 1st, 4th and 5th as well.

I do not blame spoons for me, it's more the plate.. that's it, the plate..
    tdave and Bama61 like this.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

This is simple unless you are a leftist politician.

"The Constitution is clear on this particular point, with its multitude of prohibitions on government overreach. As 20th century libertarian Edmund A. Opitz observed in 1964, "No one can read our Constitution without concluding that the people who wrote it wanted their government severely limited; the words 'no' and 'not' employed in restraint of government power occur 24 times in the first seven articles of the Constitution and 22 more times in the Bill of Rights."
    Aceoky, Pistology, Bama61 and 4 others like this.
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
    - William Pitt

{NRA Benefactor Member and proud supporter of the 2nd Amendment}

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMcPhe44 View Post
    This is simple unless you are a leftist politician.

"The Constitution is clear on this particular point, with its multitude of prohibitions on government overreach. As 20th century libertarian Edmund A. Opitz observed in 1964, "No one can read our Constitution without concluding that the people who wrote it wanted their government severely limited; the words 'no' and 'not' employed in restraint of government power occur 24 times in the first seven articles of the Constitution and 22 more times in the Bill of Rights."
    The Lightgiver has whined constantly about the Constitution being full of negative rights. Now, if one has a higher than room temperature IQ/EQ, that ought to send chills up everyone's spines. The fact that some fools applaud this tells me more about the lumpen class of miseducated serfs than about a Chicago con man .

The Framers meant the Constitution and the Bill of Rights could be read and understood by anyone. The fact we have sat back and allowed a legal class to tell us what it says , in defiance of what was actually written, tells us TOO much about who WE are.
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMERÉ, POR QUE EN MI CORAZÓN Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    Great point. Any of the Amendments can be construed as problems given the desire and circumstance. Look at the assaults on the 1st, 4th and 5th as well.

I do not blame spoons for me, it's more the plate.. that's it, the plate..
    Don't know about the plate but your right about the assaults on not just the 2A. I don't know if it's a invitation to violence but it's definitely one of our symbols of freedom.
    gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

I want our kids (US military) to have the best we can give them. That is because I want my freedom protected. I want myself to have the weapons I choose because I have responsibility for my freedom as well.
    gatorbait51, airslot and Aceoky like this.

Distinguished Member
    Very surprised to see this article in the Huffington Post; not exactly a bastion of limited government thought.

Either someone had an epiphany, someone snuck something by, or they are trying to publish one or two thoughtful articles to be able claim they are actual journalists.
    RicT, niks, maxwell97 and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbait51 View Post
    The Lightgiver has whined constantly about the Constitution being full of negative rights. Now, if one has a higher than room temperature IQ/EQ, that ought to send chills up everyone's spines. The fact that some fools applaud this tells me more about the lumpen class of miseducated serfs than about a Chicago con man .

The Framers meant the Constitution and the Bill of Rights could be read and understood by anyone. The fact we have sat back and allowed a legal class to tell us what it says , in defiance of what was actually written, tells us TOO much about who WE are.
    Gator wish I could like that 100 times. It is about as clear and correct an understanding of what we face as it gets. Bro your a flash of lightening
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Interesting article but the title a misunderstanding of the constitution and also a bit of a false dichotomy.

First, the 2A it is neither a "Symbol of Freedom" nor an "Invitation to Violence." Simply put, the 2A is a recognition of, and a prohibition on governmental infringement on, the natural right of the people to keep and bear arms (for their own defense). If the 2A is a limitation of government then neither conclusion can be derived from the text of that amendment.

If the author is analyzing the underlying right, then is the merely symbolic? I don't believe so, there are too many examples of armed insurgents taking on even the most advanced armies.

Is the underlying right an "invitation to violence"? The right to be armed isn't an invitation to use those arms. Similarly, the right to speak isn't a invitation to say stupid things but both violence and stupidity happen- because of individual's choices rather than because of words on paper.

Very surprised to see this article in the Huffington Post; not exactly a bastion of limited government thought.
    Eggzactly
    RickyD, gatorbait51 and Kilowatt3 like this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Well, the article's title appears to be mostly an attention getter. Having said that, the article is well stated and accurate. Perhaps I'll have to read his book.
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    And as subjective as EVERYTHING ,
    To some, they would say she(Rosie) is just pleasingly plump.

Keep in mind, I am not defending her(I actually dislike her immensely) but I'm just sayin'
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    I agree with Ricky. I think the article needed the misleading headline to either reach its extreme progressive audience, or get past it's progressive editors.
    RickyD, gatorbait51 and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links