Sheriffs advocate standing against Anti-2nd laws

This is a discussion on Sheriffs advocate standing against Anti-2nd laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Gun ordinances face defiance from law officers « Watchdog.org About Vermont, but addresses other states as well. "The head of a nationwide sheriffs coalition is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Sheriffs advocate standing against Anti-2nd laws

Distinguished Member

Sheriffs advocate standing against Anti-2nd laws

Gun ordinances face defiance from law officers « Watchdog.org

About Vermont, but addresses other states as well.

"The head of a nationwide sheriffs coalition is calling on Vermont’s law enforcement officers to defy three controversial gun control measures passed by Burlington voters three weeks ago."

and

"The thought that Vermont’s top law officers might publicly oppose gun restrictions isn’t a novel idea. Sheriffs in Colorado are refusing to enforce that state’s new background checks and ban on high-capacity magazines. In Connecticut, tens of thousands of residents are refusing to comply with a new state law that requires registration of guns and high-capacity magazines. In Saratoga Springs, N.Y., citizens publicly protested the state’s new SAFE Act last week by burning a thousand gun registration forms."
    Aceoky, mano3, onacoma and 5 others like this.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Just sounds like a bunch of stupid people came up with those laws. There was no problems there before, what possible reason did they have to enact the new laws in the first place? control
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Distinguished Member
    But... but.... it's for the children!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member
    I really hope that there are more officers out there everywhere that take this same attitude, because these kinds of laws could be snuck in just about anywhere. I don't put anything past politicians anywhere at any level that just want to make a name for themselves.
    gatorbait51 and NONAME762 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

This is becoming a theme ,enforcement could become a more complicated issue in Conn.,Vermont,NewYork and Colorado.
    airslot, Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    The easy way is always mined.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CIBMike View Post
    This is becoming a theme ,enforcement could become a more complicated issue in Conn.,Vermont,NewYork and Colorado.
    Yup - right up until the sheriff wants to crack down on a specific individual for whatever reason. If the sheriff rebellion does not reverse the laws, I see selective enforcement by LEO and possible Nat Guard involvement by the executive of some of these states to enforce the laws the sheriff's won't.
    gatorbait51, CIBMike and manolito like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

On what grounds exactly could they call out the NG ?????

We made an Unconstitutional decree that no LEO wants to enforce??????

States are free to employ their National Guard forces under state control for state purposes and at state expense as provided in the state's constitution and statutes
    I don't think this falls under the authority as it's certainly not "any disaster" (man made or natural) no rioting is taking place etc. and I seriously doubt any state's statutes and Constitution allow for this action
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Yup - right up until the sheriff wants to crack down on a specific individual for whatever reason.
    The municipality passed "laws" that are invalid due to state preemption and the sheriff is saying no to enforcement of them.

Distinguished Member
    How exactly are LEO's supposed to enforce the "must keep guns locked up in the home" provision? Does the legislature expect them to make random searches? Go door to door? Use psychics?

What amazes me is that the people who vote for this crap don't see how this impacts their personal freedom somewhere down the line. If you can authorize LE to regulate how you store guns in your home, what is to keep them from regulating anything else you do in your home? Maybe you should have to lock up all cookies and soda because they can be dangerous for children and adults who eat too much. Or, maybe all kitchen knives should be locked up?

People really are becoming mindless sheep, incapable of thinking for themselves or understanding anything that isn't spoon fed to them by some politician or media figure.
    Aceoky, Bama61, airslot and 3 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    On what grounds exactly could they call out the NG ?????

We made an Unconstitutional decree that no LEO wants to enforce??????

I don't think this falls under the authority as it's certainly not "any disaster" (man made or natural) no rioting is taking place etc. and I seriously doubt any state's statutes and Constitution allow for this action
    You have answered your own question. If the laws are not constitutional (state or federal), why would you think those who put the laws into place would act constitutionally when trying to enforce them?
    CIBMike likes this.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Just sounds like a bunch of stupid people came up with those laws. There was no problems there before, what possible reason did they have to enact the new laws in the first place? Control.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What Mr. Buckwheat said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    onacoma and lionround like this.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think at some point the situation is going to get very interesting!
    airslot likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I think at some point the situation is going to get very interesting!
    Yup. If they don't repeal this law, a physical confrontation is inevitable.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    You have answered your own question. If the laws are not constitutional (state or federal), why would you think those who put the laws into place would act constitutionally when trying to enforce them?
    Really that is not relevant in the least - either they have the authority to call out the NG or they do not- the NG don't " jump" - just because and after a certain Ohio college incident I'd bet they would make sure
    CIBMike likes this.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In Gibson v. Commonwealth, 237 Ky. 33, 34 S.W.2d 936 (1936), the High Court stated:  “[I]t is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs.   He does not have to.”

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceoky View Post
    Really that is not relevant in the least - either they have the authority to call out the NG or they do not- the NG don't " jump" - just because and after a certain Ohio college incident I'd bet they would make sure
    Kent State

ETA - interesting, your quoted text contains more than the original post. I would not bet that the NG would resist if told to go. You have more faith in them than I.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links