Bloomberg Report on Georgia's New Laws

This is a discussion on Bloomberg Report on Georgia's New Laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How to Understand Georgia's 'Guns Everywhere' Law: Four Blunt Points - Businessweek From the article: The NRA has skillfully responded to calls for stricter gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Bloomberg Report on Georgia's New Laws

How to Understand Georgia's 'Guns Everywhere' Law: Four Blunt Points - Businessweek

From the article:

The NRA has skillfully responded to calls for stricter gun control by portraying them as evidence that liberals’ real agenda is confiscating firearms—all firearms.

A cadre of highly motivated, well organized pro-gun voters believe the NRA scare tactics and rally behind ever-more-aggressive measures to expand gun rights. Thus, we now have concealed-carry laws in all 50 states. We have traditional self-defense laws replaced by stand-your-ground—and in Georgia, guns everywhere. Even those who deplore these developments at some point must acknowledge the pattern. At present (and maybe always), the intensity of pro-gun passion exceeds that of anti-gun passion.

And also:

Skeptics of expansive gun rights need to respond intelligently. The smart response is not scorn or exaggeration. For better or worse, gun ownership has come to symbolize a range of deeply felt ideas about culture and government authority. Making fun of people who view their firearms as emblems of liberty and traditional values (however they define those values) will neither change minds nor repeal legislation.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Is this the pot calling the kettle black? Anti gunners don't exaggerate?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    USMC 2009-2013 0341 Pfc-Cpl.
    OEF II 2 Pumps
    Escaped Californian
    My Blog http://renogunblog.blogspot.com/

VIP Member
    First, it is not a "guns everywhere" law - in fact some of the most important aspects of the new GA law were pulled at the last minute including campus carry. We still have more work to do!

However, the most interesting aspect of this article is that the author actually acknowledges that the law is unlikely to lead to any problems - in his own words: "I doubt that enactment of Georgia’s law will lead to a rash of shoot-outs."

If the author feels this way (and why would he write it if he didn't), why does he feel we need any further restrictions? He blows up all anti-2A arguments with his statement - if having more relaxed gun laws will not lead to shoot-outs, why should we have any restrictions at all?

We must really have some of the anti's on their heels if this is what they are writing!

Quote Originally Posted by RickyD View Post
    First, it is not a "guns everywhere" law - in fact some of the most important aspects of the new GA law were pulled at the last minute including campus carry. We still have more work to do!

However, the most interesting aspect of this article is that the author actually acknowledges that the law is unlikely to lead to any problems - in his own words: "I doubt that enactment of Georgia’s law will lead to a rash of shoot-outs."

If the author feels this way (and why would he write it if he didn't), why does he feel we need any further restrictions? He blows up all anti-2A arguments with his statement - if having more relaxed gun laws will not lead to shoot-outs, why should we have any restrictions at all?

We must really have some of the anti's on their heels if this is what they are writing!
    He even acknowledges that:

Exaggerating the practical effects of gun-rights legislation doesn’t make sense, either. The Georgia measure allows guns in bars and churches under certain circumstances. Saloon owners who don’t want weapons in their establishments would have to post a sign saying so. That doesn’t sound so onerous; a lot of bars in pro-gun precincts already have such signs. Worshipers in Georgia wouldn’t be allowed to pack heat unless their congregation affirmatively votes to “opt in” to the guns-everywhere law.

I agree, I fail to see what he is actually against, because he argues "our side" pretty well (well, other than saying "Pack heat", which people don't say anymore).

He also says:

Broadly speaking, this approach would have liberals emphasize more aggressive enforcement of existing laws against illegal gun possession, rather than obsess about situations that allow law-abiding citizens to own guns and carry them on their person.

Hey, are you really on our side?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Because RickyD, the side if liberty is 100% correct that "gun control" has little or nothing to do with guns at all. Their agenda is PEOPLE CONTROL, and the progressive use of forced by those in power against the governed. The 2ndA is a side show for them. It's just the biggest impediment to their final solution and enacting their totalitarian agenda. Utopian ideologies not only believe that they can create paradise through force and murder, they want to cement that paradise for all time, and that requires that the people be slavest. Armed men almost can't be slaves. It's a problem.
    StormRhydr, Aceoky, OD* and 3 others like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Still nice to see Pro 2A laws get passed and enacted!!! woo woo
    Aceoky and gatorbait51 like this.
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

For better or worse, gun ownership has come to symbolize a range of deeply felt ideas about culture and government authority. Making fun of people who view their firearms as emblems of liberty and traditional values (however they define those values) will neither change minds nor repeal legislation.

the British made fun of our firearms couple hundred years ago and look where it got them. Tail between there legs on a slow boat back to the big island.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

IMO, this guy is making our arguments for us. Focus on keeping guns from criminals and the mentally unstable? Isn't that what we want?

But he is totally wrong in attributing the essential futility of the anti-gun efforts to the power of the NRA. Public support for more restrictive gun laws has been declining for the last 50 years or so. The NRA has undoubtedly played a part in this attitude change, but it is that shift itself that undermines the agenda so beloved of the far left. A majority in this country simply doesn't believe that more restrictive gun laws actually work. And because most folks have working brains, they want the ability to have a gun if they ever felt they needed one (see LA riots).

When a person like the author, who believes himself to be anti-gun, starts using some of the same arguments and sharing some of the pro-gun beliefs about the ineffective results of anti-gun laws, then we are well on the way to victory in this war.
    Last edited by sensei2; March 25th, 2014 at 10:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    A cadre of highly motivated, well organized pro-gun voters believe the NRA scare tactics and rally behind ever-more-aggressive measures to expand gun rights. Thus, we now have concealed-carry laws in all 50 states. We have traditional self-defense laws replaced by stand-your-ground—and in Georgia, guns everywhere. Even those who deplore these developments at some point must acknowledge the pattern. At present (and maybe always), the intensity of pro-gun passion exceeds that of anti-gun passion.[/I]
    Let's hope it stays that way.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Springfield Armory XDS .45
    Kahr CM9
    GeorgiaCarry.org Member

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I'm so glad GA stepped up to the plate with HB60, or as the bloomlibtardberg has dubbed, the "guns everywhere" law. GA's gun laws are about to be better than they have ever been. This is a win for liberty.

In the past year alone, 21 states have enacted laws expanding gun rights, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Several states added piecemeal provisions allowing firearms on college campuses or in bars or churches
    I don't know who the "Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence" is, although I can imagine they are bff's with the brady campaign. Still, I like the results of their study. Kudos to those 21 states during these trying times of waged war on the 2A by the liberal agenda, the media, and the current administration. Common sense has prevailed ...in most places.

1. The Newtown school massacre led to “guns everywhere.” Perverse as it may sound, the horrific mass shooting in December 2012 at Sandy Hook Elementary produced a burst of state-level gun control bills around the country and then triggered a much stronger pro-gun backlash.
    Yes, the citizens got pushed, and then pushed back. This country is not made of NYC, California, Illinois, and Connecticut. Most of us are not mindless drones who buy into leftist emotional propaganda ...at least regarding guns. Surprise, surprise. Speaking of Illinois, what an effect the anti movement had on getting a CC law passed for that state. Bravo Bloomberg and Brady. Sometimes you actually are useful.

2. Georgia illustrates the NRA’s structural advantage on gun control. As if we needed a fresh demonstration of this phenomenon, the gun-rights lobby currently enjoys a fundamental edge in the debate about regulating firearms. In an era of falling crime rates, liberal enthusiasm for gun control simply doesn’t pack much political punch outside certain blue-state environments.
    Well, they're right about one thing. Fact based law trumps knee jerk totalitarianism regarding gun laws. ...Unless you are in a certain "blue state environment". We all know what that means. Still, I can't imagine their tactics changing, much. Their only hope is to push during highly emotional moments. Since they don't have facts to back up their agenda.

Over and over, we’ve seen those emotions fade quickly, giving way to a more sustained counter-reaction from the pro-gun side. The NRA has skillfully responded to calls for stricter gun control by portraying them as evidence that liberals’ real agenda is confiscating firearms—all firearms.
    And there you have it. Emotions fade, facts set in, the anti agenda loses. ...I notice that they don't dispute the NRA's claim, either.

At present (and maybe always), the intensity of pro-gun passion exceeds that of anti-gun passion.
    We can only hope that society won't become as deluded as the anti's want it to be.

liberals should focus on the most-pressing problem related to firearms—that their prevalence in American society makes our violent crime more lethal.
    Clearly, the writer of this piece didn't follow up on President Obama's executive order for the CDC to study the prevalence of firearms related to lethal crime. The results were the exact opposite of this claim. There we go with those facts, again...

I doubt that enactment of Georgia’s law will lead to a rash of shoot-outs. If it does, Georgians can reassess.
    ....So, what exactly is this article about, then? With so many more places for lawful carriers to actually carry their weapons, surely the streets will run red with wild-west shootouts. Isn't that what the anti's have been preaching all along?

Nice! Good for Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the article:

At present (and maybe always), the intensity of pro-gun passion exceeds that of anti-gun passion.[/I]

Making fun of people who view their firearms as emblems of liberty and traditional values (however they define those values) will neither change minds nor repeal legislation.[/I]
    To my way of thinking, that pretty much says it all, right there. Agenda = turning the tide, destroying liberty, controlling arms, controlling citizens. What a surprise.

Something to keep in mind with Bloomers. Not that this is anything new to anyone who has been paying attention the past 10yrs.
    Aceoky and Lotus222 like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I'm so glad GA stepped up to the plate with HB60, or as the bloomlibtardberg has dubbed, the "guns everywhere" law. GA's gun laws are about to be better than they have ever been. This is a win for liberty.

I don't know who the "Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence" is, although I can imagine they are bff's with the brady campaign. Still, I like the results of their study. Kudos to those 21 states during these trying times of waged war on the 2A by the liberal agenda, the media, and the current administration. Common sense has prevailed ...in most places.

Yes, the citizens got pushed, and then pushed back. This country is not made of NYC, California, Illinois, and Connecticut. Most of us are not mindless drones who buy into leftist emotional propaganda ...at least regarding guns. Surprise, surprise. Speaking of Illinois, what an effect the anti movement had on getting a CC law passed for that state. Bravo Bloomberg and Brady. Sometimes you actually are useful.

Well, they're right about one thing. Fact based law trumps knee jerk totalitarianism regarding gun laws. ...Unless you are in a certain "blue state environment". We all know what that means. Still, I can't imagine their tactics changing, much. Their only hope is to push during highly emotional moments. Since they don't have facts to back up their agenda.

And there you have it. Emotions fade, facts set in, the anti agenda loses. ...I notice that they don't dispute the NRA's claim, either.

We can only hope that society won't become as deluded as the anti's want it to be.

Clearly, the writer of this piece didn't follow up on President Obama's executive order for the CDC to study the prevalence of firearms related to lethal crime. The results were the exact opposite of this claim. There we go with those facts, again...

....So, what exactly is this article about, then? With so many more places for lawful carriers to actually carry their weapons, surely the streets will run red with wild-west shootouts. Isn't that what the anti's have been preaching all along?
    Well done counter. +1000 likes
    gottabkiddin likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Skeptics of expansive gun rights need to respond intelligently
    Well, there's your contradiction in terms of the highest sorder.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

From the author's point #4:

"Broadly speaking, this approach would have liberals emphasize more aggressive enforcement of existing laws against illegal gun possession, rather than obsess about situations that allow law-abiding citizens to own guns and carry them on their person. Still speaking broadly, the anti-crime approach would have liberals ask how the extraordinary successes in reducing violent crime in places like New York—where gun control laws have not changed for decades—can be replicated elsewhere."

He seems to contradict himself. First suggesting that the focus be on people illegally carrying guns (instead of people legally carrying firearms), and then suggesting that the restrictive NYC anti-gun laws be replicated elsewhere. It's strange how crime spiked in NYC after "stop & frisk" was repealed (NYC Gun Crime Spikes After Stop-and-Frisk Ruling).

It seems that for some reasons bad guys just don't follow the rules unless the likelihood of being caught and prosecuted (unlike Chicago) is high. Go figure. If they could just figure out ways to keep criminals from committing crimes, as opposed to engineering ways to create new criminals out of law abiding citizens, then... Hey, that sounds a bit like that aggressive enforcement stuff.
    Lotus222 and Aceoky like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links