Kansas Wal-Marts, anybody want to address this?

This is a discussion on Kansas Wal-Marts, anybody want to address this? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/business/16333799.htm Wal-Mart officials said the company has strict policies prohibiting employees or customers from bringing handguns and other weapons onto its properties. Concealed-carry arrives Monday ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/business/16333799.htm

Wal-Mart officials said the company has strict policies prohibiting employees or customers from bringing handguns and other weapons onto its properties.

Concealed-carry arrives Monday
    Businesses have to decide how to lay down the law
    BY JERRY SIEBENMARK
    The Wichita Eagle
    As Jan. 1 nears, a lot of Wichita businesses have prepared for the day when people with licenses can legally carry concealed handguns.

Some companies are putting signs at the entrances to their businesses and adding written policies banning employees from carrying concealed weapons on company time.

Others are modifying long-established policies to account for concealed-carry.

And some are doing nothing to prevent customers from carrying concealed guns on to company property.

The new law affects almost every business -- from retailers to hospitals to manufacturers and banks -- because it requires them to think about whether they are going to have a policy addressing it, and whether the policy concerns employees, customers or both.

Attorneys offer differing views on whether the new law increases liabilities for businesses.

James Spencer, an attorney with Hinkle Elkouri law firm, said he thinks there could be some areas where companies are liable.

For instance, a convenience store owner who bans his employees from carrying concealed handguns while at work could be liable if a clerk who had the concealed-carry license is shot in a robbery and later claims in a lawsuit that his injuries could have been prevented if he was allowed to carry his handgun at work.

The store owner also could be liable if he permits employees with permits to carry concealed handguns and a customer is injured.

"It's really a decision they have to make (individually)," Spencer said. "There's probably potential liabilities on both sides. I'm not sure there's a black-and-white answer."

Attorney Jay Rector of Foulston Siefkin LLP thinks there's no more liability to employers with the concealed-carry law than there was before.

Rector, team leader for Foulston Siefkin's employment and labor law team, said most of his firm's business clients have updated their policies for concealed-carry.

One thing both attorneys agree on is companies should have established policies regarding concealed-carry. Not only should the policy be written, it also should be communicated clearly to employees.

"I don't think it's fair to put employees in a position where they have to wonder what the policy is," Spencer said.

Know your rights

Businesses have certain rights under the Personal and Family Protection Act, which allows concealed-carry.

Companies can ban their employees from carrying concealed weapons on company time, including storing handguns inside their vehicles if they are parked on company property.

And businesses can prohibit anyone from coming onto their property carrying concealed weapons as long as the business has posted the ban on a sign.

People who violate that can be charged with a class B misdemeanor, which has a penalty of up to six months in jail and a fine.

There are certain businesses and properties that have the ban built into the statute and aren't required to post signs: churches, public and private schools, colleges, government buildings, and bars or restaurants where more than 50 percent of the business is in alcohol or liquor sales.

Those who carry concealed weapons onto those properties can be charged with a class A misdemeanor, which has a penalty of up to a year in jail and a fine.

Chuck Sexson, director of the concealed-carry program for the Kansas attorney general's office, said many of those protected buildings are posting the no handguns signs anyway.

"If it's prohibited by law then they certainly don't have to post (signs)," Sexson said.

Health care facilities -- other than psychiatric hospitals -- banks and restaurants that sell more food than alcohol do not fall under the statutory protection, Sexson said.

Businesses that are operating out of leased space cannot permit concealed-carry by customers or employees if the landlord has prohibited it.

To ban or not to ban

Wal-Mart officials said the company has strict policies prohibiting employees or customers from bringing handguns and other weapons onto its properties.

That will not change in Kansas, even with the new law, said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Marisa Bluestone.

Some businesses, such as Via Christi Wichita Health Network, implemented policy changes as early as last April that prohibited all people coming onto its property -- employees and others -- from carrying concealed weapons. Via Christi communicated that policy change to employees.

Other companies, such as Spirit AeroSystems, were sending out reminders to employees as late as last week reiterating its policy of a ban on handguns -- even for workers with a concealed-carry license --or other weapons.

Brad Elliott, president and chief executive of Equity Bank, said his bank won't post signs banning concealed-carry by customers.

Elliott said customers with a concealed-carry license "are not the people I'm concerned about carrying a gun."

"It's the person that doesn't register and has a concealed weapon that I'm concerned about," he said.

Not all businesses are concerned about the new law. Cliff Sones, president of the Wichita Independent Business Association, said his group surveyed its members and 57 percent did not consider it to be a problem for them.

"We haven't heard much from our members since," Sones said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reach Jerry Siebenmark at 316-268-6576 or jsiebenmark@wichitaeagle.com.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Interesting. As of yesterday there were no signs at the WalMart here.
    In fact, so far I've only seen two; one at a medical clinic and one retail store. But then I'm a couple hundred miles West of Wichita.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Another incident of undeducated drive by journalisim . I swear we should regester all presses and printers , only Real Journalists and Clergy need high speed printers.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I guess nobody at Wally World told their Florida stores about this intolerant policy.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

If you see a posted Walmart in a state where it's legal to CCW, call Corporate in Bentonville, AR.

The sign will likely be down before you can park and walk to the door. The manager will be the one walking funny.

Joe

VIP Member

That will not change in Kansas, even with the new law, said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Marisa Bluestone.
    Who is she?...one of the check-out clerks? Until I see the store posted, I'm not going too believe some 'spokesman'.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Who is she?...one of the check-out clerks? Until I see the store posted, I'm not going too believe some 'spokesman'.......
    Apparently she is a Wal-Mart spokesperson. A Google search turns up several articles with her name attached:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=Maris...ient=firefox-a
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Well. That's odd. WalMart has in the past stated unequivocally that they have no policy against CCW - if it's legal where the store is, CCW holders are welcome in the store. The few times I've heard of a WalMart being posted by local hoplophobic management, a call to corporate had the signs down pronto.

The lone exceptions being stores that sold package liquor in states that prohibited carry where liqour is sold.

I'd hate to see WalMart become CCW unfriendly.

Joe

Someone call corporate and call them on this lady, to see if she's speaking for Walmart or just catering to her own agenda.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

VIP Member
    The Wal-Marts where I live have no policy against concealed carry in their stores.

Our Walmart here has a sign about not brandishing any weapon, but CCW'ers are welcome.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    Someone call corporate and call them on this lady, to see if she's speaking for Walmart or just catering to her own agenda.
    Why? They can say what they want. It has to be posted to mean anything. The WMs in my area have no signs. Sleeping dogs and all.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I just sent the following email to corporate offices:

Today, while reading an article about Kansas' new Concealed Carry (of handguns) laws, I was apalled to see the following statement, "Wal-Mart officials said the company has strict policies prohibiting employees or customers from bringing handguns and other weapons onto its properties. That will not change in Kansas, even with the new law, said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Marisa Bluestone."

As a concealed carry licensee in the state of Pennsylvania I had always believed WalMart to be accomodating to CCW license holders. If this is not true (as the above quote appears to say), then I must regret to inform you that I will avoid shopping at any WalMarts in the future, as well as making sure that my many acquaintances who are also concealed carry license holders know about your policy. A very misguided policy I might add, seeing that people that have been licensed to carry concealed weapons are among the most law abiding citizens to be found, are generally financially well-off, and are the kind of people that you would want to shop in your stores. I might add that because of their law-abiding nature, they will comply with a policy to not bring their personal defense weapons into your stores... most likely by avoiding WalMarts altogether.
    I would encourage any of you to do likewise... there is a "contact us" link on the homepage of www.walmartstores.com

Feel free to rip off (copy & paste) any of my letter if it'll make it easier.

I have a friend who works for Wal-Mart at a distribution center. The employees are not allowed to have guns in their vehicles in the parking lot.

We have three Wal-Marts in the county where I live. The new one does not carry guns, and they just pulled the guns out of one of the other stores and will no longer be selling any.

The third store still has them....for now.

I think Sam Walton is rolling over in his grave.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Links