castle doctrine

castle doctrine

This is a discussion on castle doctrine within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; You have the legal right to choose to defend yourself at home. But what the NRA is asking for here is way too much. They ...

Thread: castle doctrine

castle doctrine

You have the legal right to choose to defend yourself at home. But what the NRA is asking for here is way too much. They want anyone to be able to pull a gun anywhere anytime they “feel threatened” (yes, it’s that loose), and not have to face any consequences whatsoever. That means no legal consequences if the person they shoot is unarmed. No legal (or civil) consequences if they accidentally shoot a bystander. No legal consequences at all if ([4] as has already happened in Colorado), they chase a man down and shoot him in the back as he is driving away. No legal consequences at all for pulling a gun. And that goes way too far.
    here's a link to the whole story:
    http://www.gunguys.com/wp-print.php?p=815

I can't stand these kind of people. They talk before they even read the law. Pull your gun on someone that hasn't threatened your life and see how fast you go to jail. All the castle doctrine does is make it legal to protect yourself at all times not just your home without getting sued by the piece of crap that's threatening you in the first place. That in my opinion is one of the best self defense laws on the books. I don't really see how it will cause any problems if people actually read it and understand what it means. The problems stem from people like this that tell people it means something totally different than what it does. Just my .02 cents.

Assistant Administrator
    Blown out of all proportion - as usual.

Castle should effectively only enable the duty of retreat to be cancelled out if threat is severe, and also remove the opportunity for litigation from a proven felon's attack (and his family)

In essence common sense stuff which does not open the door to casual butt capping!!. Regardless of the presence of Castle - anyone who has to shoot is still answerable in a court of law and will not IMO have an easy passage if it is shown he/she acted in a manner beyond that of defensible self protection.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    There have been several cases down here that are clearly NOT the CD sorta stuff. Drug related shootings and "buys" gone bad.

These cases have been very easily seen for what they were. Executions, or the "didn't know it was him" defense.

The investigators aren't dummies and with the forensic evidence that the perps seem always to "forget",they go to jail.

As said before,a good shoot is just that. A bad shoot,you go to jail. -----

These people are so worried about a "state of lawlessness" occurring if Castle Doctrines take hold, when if fact, just the opposite usually takes place. Criminals often get the idea that it might not behoove them to break into the property of other in an attempt to rob them of their possessions and threaten them while doing so.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

We are getting ready for that fight here in Missouri, a bill has already been pre-filed; unfortunately it is a real DOG!!!!!

I have already been in contact with my State Senator (who is also in the Republican leadership) and I hope to be able to have some influence on the final version. Our legislature got a massive infestation of Dem-O-Craps in the last election; however in Missouri’s rural areas (which constitutes most of the state) Dem-O-Craps cast anti-gun votes at their own peril.

With a little luck we might get a good bill passed this year.

I hate people who shoot their mouths off with out haveing all the information.( SOUNDS LIKE A ROSIE)youknow who.

Those Bad NRA People...

always trying to push the .007 Law...license to kill...the shame of it all...

...and people believe this 'toro feces'...

Ignore it...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    that's the rule here in florida.
    The "Castle Doctrine" applies to your home.
    "Stand your ground" applies to any place you have a lawful right to be.
    And if the DA rules it a good shoot you can't be civilly sued.

And no, the streets aren't running red with blood.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Not sure it's even the "Castle Doctrine" at issue here....sounds more like the "Stand Your Ground" law.

And your actions are subject to review: if your belief that your life was in danger was not reasonable under the circumstances, then the "Stand Your Ground" law won't help you out. Similarly, if no one believes you when you say that you thought your life was in danger, you've got a problem as well.

What people don't realize is that by opposing "Castle" and "Stand your ground" they are implicitly endorsing the "law of the jungle;" predators attack and prey tries to flee. Sometimes the prey escapes, but often it is consumed by the predators.

I don't like those odds, and to quote the elephant Man, "I am not an animal! I am a man."

Most of the killings here seem to come from the drug trade or thugs praying on tourist. The Castle Doctrine is good thing sinse it stops the BG's kin from sueing you. This biggest thing I worry agout is being sued when I'am in the right. you read about this in the paper all the time. sometimes the law is very unfair due to (some) of the lawyers who are out for a quick buck. seems like every one is sue happy. Thats one reason that when someone is in trouble other people hesitate to go to thier aid.

I Guess You All Have Read The Stories In The Paper Were The Bad Guy Gets Hurt While He Is In The Act Of Robbing Your House. Then He Turns Around And Sues You. This Is A Nightmare Of The Law Gone Bad. The Courts Should Throw This Kind Of Crap Out.

Links