got an email back from Charlie Dent

This is a discussion on got an email back from Charlie Dent within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's a copy: Dear Mr. *****, Thank you for writing me to express your support for H.R. 4547. I appreciate the time you have taken ...

Thread: got an email back from Charlie Dent

Here's a copy:

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for writing me to express your support for H.R. 4547. I appreciate the time you have taken to contact me on this important matter.

H.R. 4547 was introduced by Representative Cliff Stearns (R-FL) on 14 December 2005. If enacted, this bill would establish a national standard for the carrying of certain concealed firearms by non-residents. It authorizes a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one to carry a concealed firearm in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state.

H.R. 4547 was not voted on in the 109th Congress. However, should this bill or similar legislation be introduced when the 110th Congress commences in January 2006, I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind in considering how to vote.

You should also be aware that I have always been a strong supporter of legislation that reinforces our Constitutional right to bear arms. I voted for several pieces of legislation in the second session of the 109 th Congress alone that will do just that. The Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act (H.R. 5013) passed the House by a vote of 322-99 and this bill would prevent firearm confiscation of law-abiding citizens at the time they need guns the most - in the aftermath of a major disaster when government is unable to provide reliable protection to the citizenry. In addition, I am also a co-sponsor of H.R. 1288, the District of Columbia Personal Protection Act. This bill would restore the self-protection rights of District of Columbia residents by allowing them to possess and use firearms for self defense in their homes. Finally, I voted for H.R. 5092, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) Modernization and Reform Act of 2006. This bill would amend the firearms provisions of the federal criminal code to revise the civil penalties for violations of firearms law and the procedures for assessing these penalties. Additionally, it requires fines to be based upon the nature and severity of the violation, the size of the firearms business involved, and the prior record of the firearm's licensee.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your views with me. If you would like to receive periodic electronic mail updates on current issues in Congress, visit my website at www.dent.house.gov to sign up for my E-Newsletter. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any additional questions or comments you may have involving this or any other federal issue.

With best wishes,

Sincerely,

Charles W. Dent

It took a while to get a response (several months actually, haha), but I'm glad he took the time to either write this himself or have his secretary write a personal reply. Shame the bill didn't get voted on last year, but there's always next year. Dent's the man though.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Assistant Administrator
    Late maybe but - rather an encouraging letter
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Be Sure you vote for this man.I hope there are many more like him. That was well thought out letter.

VIP Member
    I like how he has some wiggle room saying if a bill is introduced in January 2006 versus 2007. Otherwise a pretty standard letter. I think all staffers must use the same template because it reads just like replies I've received from my elected reps.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Course he didn't volunteer to pick up the flag...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Over all, about the best I can say is the letter does not sound negative towards our right to bear arms.

Other than that, it is from a politician so you kind of have to take everything said with a grain of salt.

Thanks for posting it though.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

the question is if a politition will actually follow through with what he or she says.

Links