Dateline .50 cal report

Dateline .50 cal report

This is a discussion on Dateline .50 cal report within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; hope this isn't a repost, but it may be...sorry if it is http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...shooting&hl=en...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dateline .50 cal report

Dateline .50 cal report

hope this isn't a repost, but it may be...sorry if it is

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...shooting&hl=en

HAHAHAHAHA... So imma start saving up for my Accuracy International AW50F. 0_o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accurac...national_AW50F

...or an M82A1 o_0

http://www.barrettrifles.com/rifles/rifles_82A1.htm

VIP Member
    I've shot one, but I don't need to purchase (or pay to feed) one. Very heavy & expensive.

That said, if I was filthy rich, I'd own one (or two).

The one thing that kept coming back up on the 'Dateline' episode, was the anti saying "Why does anybody need that? ...it's a weapon of war!".

The antis have this mindset that that the Second Amendment is about hunting..............WRONG, but that's another story.

So let's see...........one man, used one in a crime OVER A DOZEN YEARS AGO. Nobody has been killed in the US by one (yes, I know in the crime reported by Dateline, a LEO was killed, but look into it for yourself, he was not killed by the .50 bullet).

So, the anti's response is: "On the off chance that one may be used in a crime in the future, they need to be banned."

.......OK, let's go with this logic for a moment....follow me here:

Let's say a fictitious TV 'News' show called something like....oh....'Dateline', airs a story about about exploding gas tanks in brand X pickup trucks. During the filming, they can't get the gas tanks to burn or explode. So they decide to help by causing the explosion by adding an IED to make their story fit the desired outcome.

The show should at the least be banned....just in case they may decide to do a story like that....right? (...oops, they've already done a story like that & they are still on the air.)

(The results are a fictitious story, that misleads the public & harms an auto maker......to me they violated their 1st Amendment responsibilities & IN MY OPINION, their program should be banned & they should be sued out of existence.)

Now, were the anti's to be consistent, their reaction should be to at least ban the camera that was used to film this 'fictitious' event with, because it was a high speed assault camera!

But we all know the media would never do something like the above described 'news event'.........right?........right?.......
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Assistant Administrator
    Love the repeated mention and emphasis on ''airplanes" Then - use of the word ''lethal'' - well sure, potentially, as are most firearms and even point objects.

I did not recall the 1995 incident - but they made a meal of it! Sure, a bad page for the history of the 50 cal.

I have sympathy in plenty for victims but heck - they really pushed the ''super gun'' deal. Played too on the ammo size. Thing is a 30 cal in wrong hands is just as lethal at distance. I think they forget about the logistics of carrying a large 25# beast around too.

Ronnie Barrett at least had some say - making the point that incidents are miniscule in quantity. Diaz is one of the typical anti's.

VPC got in on it too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    After watching that, Im taking mine out to the range Saturday...

and...I'm bringing the API.

Anybody want to shoot it ?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

If I could afford to buy one I would. I have wanted an 82a1 from the first time Barret advertised it. I know I couldn't shoot it very offten.
    (150 rounds of match grade, in Cheaper Then Dirt catalog is $699.97) But I would save my pennies to shoot in once or twice a year. JUst to hear the boon and to see if I could hit the target at 1500 meters or so.

Senior Moderator
    Just so ya know...

Gunshows will sell the belted milsurp stuff for around 125 per hundred. It does great out to around 700 yards, after that range the match grade stuff holds tighte groups. If you buy in bulk like I do and reload, it gets even cheaper. The last batch of API bullets that I got (500) was 70.00 bucks. They were "pulled" bullets but shoot well and they all light up.

The powder is cheap too...going for around 23.00 per 8 pounds or 3 dollars per pound. It goes fast though, you can only get around 32 loads per pound.

I had an 82A1 and it woul'dnt hold a candle in the accuracy dept, to the single shot bolt that I built from scratch due to the recoiling barrel and the tolerances involved to make it work.

Still, the talk of banning the .50 for what it "might do" makes my blood boil. Ya know, a jet might crash. An asteroid might hit the earth.A tsunami might wipe out the West Coast. A terrorist might detonate a nuke. They might shoot a plane....so lets ban then and make it illegal for the folks that can own them and do so responsibly. Lets register them so we know where they are and whos got them.

It makes me sick. Tom Diaz never saw a gun that he liked and he wont stop until only criminals and dictators have them. The fact that the news media still gives him coverage while knowing that he is a diehard,rabid antgunner makes me wanna puke straight up.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Yeppers, the usual media twist. 30 seconds of interview with Barrett and 5 minutes with VPC. Like they really don't want to ban them....whatever.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Dateline is a horrible "news magazine" show. Poorly written and executed. The only redeeming thing they have ever done are the "To Catch a Predator" shows.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

List of Do Not's...

Reminder...
    Do Not...

*Watch DateLine...
    *Talk much to Anti's...
    *Buy an IWB for a .50 caliber weapon...
    *Buy a Smary Carry for a .50 caliber weapon...
    *Desire a .50 caliber weapon...
    *See a need (personally) for a .50 caliber weapon...
    *Worry about anyone else wanting a .50 caliber weapon...fine for them!
    *Get worked up about 'meaningless' and corupt news organizations...
    *Spend $ for one .50 caliber weapon...spend the $ on several other weapon types...(more for your money idea)

OMO...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    When I feel the need for a long range rifle, I'll visit these guys. They're just up the road :D.

Funny, I haven't felt the need to start a revolution yet so I can't quite justify owning a $5K rifle yet. Maybe when I win the lottery (or get that multi-million dollar record deal.... OK, when I win the lottery).
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Senior Moderator
    Funny, I haven't felt the need to start a revolution yet so I can't quite justify owning a $5K rifle yet.
    Thats funny. I know a dozen people that own 50's and as far as I know none of them want to start a revolution. Is that what people in Kansas think of those that own them ?

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Obviously, that video was rife with things to make me cringe, but I'll only point out something new:

They referred to it as "bullet-proof glass". There is no such thing. Only bullet resistant glass, and each set of laminated glass is rated for certain calibers. I believe the type of glass they were using would also have been penetrated by a 30.06. I don't see someone toting a .50BMG to rob a liquor store.

Oh, and same thing with the bullet-riddled cars. A rifle, and even some handguns will do that. At any rate, it is all about the user, not the inanimate object.

Pfeh. Just my $.02. I did like Ronnie Barrett's interview (all 2 minutes of it). He made some very good, rational points.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Senior Moderator
    Actually, that glass being 1.5 inches was probably rated for .30-06. Fact of the matter is, most bulletproof glass is only rated for .30-06.

This is what we use at our control points where I work. For any glass to be rated for .50 it would have to be around 10 inches thick. At that point it would be extremely heavy and the optical clarity would be diminished.

Armored vehicles and buildings use only what they need for the most probable threat. Its a compromise and it always has been. No matter how good your stuff is, there is always something out there that can defeat it.

They fact that most stuff is rated for .30 cal or below is a fact that is lost on those that want to ban the .50 for one reason or another. Its simply not the threat that they want it to be.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I know several high-school students who have more discipline than Dateline when it comes to reporting things without bias (no matter how strongly they feel).

No question about it, Stone Philips is a New York City Yuppie who's never fired a gun because he's too busy stroking his boyfriend's...

By the way, what kind of name is "Stone?" I bet it's made up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links