With friends like this...

This is a discussion on With friends like this... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...tory?track=rss RELATED STORIES Man playing with pistol kills friend Jan 2, 2007 PHOTOS John Debella Jr. Sean Page ADVERTISEMENTS Search Jobs Post your ...

Thread: With friends like this...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

With friends like this...

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...tory?track=rss

RELATED STORIES
    Man playing with pistol kills friend
    Jan 2, 2007
    PHOTOS

John Debella Jr.

Sean Page

ADVERTISEMENTS

Search Jobs
    Post your resume
    Post a job

A 20-year-old who accidentally shot his friend in the forehead minutes before New Year's Day wasn't following a key rule of gun safety: Always assume a gun is loaded.

Sean Page told investigators he often jokes and plays around with guns and it's common for him and his friends to point the firearms at one another.

"Never point it at anything you don't want to kill," said Bob Applegate, who runs the shooting range for the Volusia County Sheriff's Office. "Every handgun should be considered loaded at all times. That's a standard rule."

Safety guidelines published by the National Rifle Association say gun users should keep weapons pointed in a safe direction and keep their fingers off the trigger until they are ready to shoot.

Page told investigators he placed the barrel of the .45-caliber handgun on John Debella Jr.'s temple in jest when Debella, 19, grabbed the gun to place it at the center of his forehead. Page said that moved his hand slightly, causing him to press against the trigger.

"I shot him. I shot him, he pushed my finger . . . I can't believe I was dumb enough to have my finger on the trigger," he blurted out to officials at the Derbyshire Road home before his arrest on a manslaughter charge.

Kerry Scullin, Page's mother, was home with her 4-month-old baby during the incident. She declined to comment Tuesday.Page remains in jail without bail.

Page said he did not know the gun was loaded and he keeps his finger inside the trigger guard based on training he received in the Army, where he says he remains on active duty, investigative reports state.

Details about Page's enlistment and training were not known Tuesday, as federal offices recognized a national day of mourning for President Gerald Ford. According to the Army's Web site, all recruits learn basic rifle marksmanship as early as the third week of the nine-week basic training.

The fourth week is dedicated to the topic, which includes safety guidelines, range procedures and target shooting.

Applegate, who was not speaking specifically about this weekend's incident, said he always teaches gun users to keep their finger outside the trigger guard because it's easy to accidentally fire a weapon. All it takes is a startled move or involuntary response for something to go wrong, he said.

Sunday night's shooting was at least the fifth in Volusia County since April that was the result of an accidental discharge. One was fatal.

Debella's mother, Martha, said she was shocked to hear her son was involved in horseplay with guns. Since he and his brother, Joseph, were "old enough to crawl," she said, she and her husband stressed the dangers of firearms. She said they never allowed them in their home.

Her brother-in-law committed suicide with a gun, and one of John Jr.'s classmates accidentally shot his twin brother to death when the boys were in seventh grade, she said.

Debella said she's trying to be as compassionate as her son would be.

She is not sure she wants long jail time for Page.

"Johnny wouldn't want it to turn out the way it's turning out," she said.

Kristen Reed can be reached at kreed@orlandosentinel.com or 386-851-7924.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Sunday night's shooting was at least the fifth in Volusia County since April that was the result of an accidental discharge. One was fatal.
    Uh ... that would be negligent discharge. Accidental is when an earthquake causes a gun on the table to fall and fire. Negligence (or worse) is when you willingly put a gun to the head of another person and the gun is fired.

If unintentional, this guy is going to have a rough life ahead, trying to come to grips with this little faux pas and to atone for it.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

*sigh*

Assistant Administrator
    Another *sigh* - a long deep one
    Page said he did not know the gun was loaded
    Well - the comment for that is so obvious - and it's such a stupid statement for anyone to resort to.

Once more as I always claim - rule #2 - rule #2 .......... the ultimate tragedy protector - that is the one that saves most lives IMO.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Too bad idiots can own guns, until they screw up anyway.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links