Two bills in the House to watch & possibly support....

This is a discussion on Two bills in the House to watch & possibly support.... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.expertclick.com/NewsRelea...etail&ID=15072 Two deserving of all-out support from America’s 80 million law-abiding gun owners are H.R. 73, by Congressman Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland, and H.R. 226, ...

VIP Member

http://www.expertclick.com/NewsRelea...etail&ID=15072

Two deserving of all-out support from America’s 80 million law-abiding gun owners are H.R. 73, by Congressman Roscoe Bartlett of Maryland, and H.R. 226, by Congressman Cliff Stearns of Florida.

H.R. 73, the Bartlett bill, would protect the right to obtain firearms for security and to use firearms in defense of self, family, or home, and to provide for the legal enforcement of such right.

The philosophy behind it is solid. Without recognition of a right to legitimate self-defense, there really is no genuine recognition of a right to life itself. And without recognition of a right to the means necessary for self-defense, that is, firearms, there is no real acceptance of a right to self-defense. So, conceptually, the right to obtain and use firearms for self-defense really is part and parcel of a right to life itself.

H.R. 226, the Stearns bill, would set national standards according to which non-residents of a state who possess permits to carry concealed firearms issued by other states may carry concealed firearms in the state.
    I'm curious as to watch the fights over these two:

H.R.73- The anti gun states like Illinois & cities like NYC, will probably fight this one.

H.R.226- National reciprocity, treating concealed permits like a driver's license, good idea, but even bigger fight.

While not a fan of the national government passing ANY law, this fight will be fun to watch.....if they ever get out for a full vote.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

H.R. 73 is redundant. It's called The Second Amendment.

H.R. 226 sounds like a good idea.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

+1 to GG...That was the first thing I thought of when reading it. Maybe we should send our reps/senators a copy of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights....you know, the documents they swore to support and defend?

Quote Originally Posted by General Geoff View Post
    H.R. 73 is redundant. It's called The Second Amendment.

H.R. 226 sounds like a good idea.
    The Maryland State Constitution, has no RKBA language so it makes sense that the ReP from Maryland would see a need for this type of Legislation. Kudos to him. I need to get in touch with him and see what I can do to support him.

Thanks
    MikeV

Both are redundant.

Should I be ashamed of supporting those bills anyway?
    "So this is how liberty dies. With thunderous applause."
    - Senator Padmé Amidala, "Revenge of the Sith"

I don't know that letting the federal government get it's dirty claws into CCW is such a good idea, but it will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    CCW National Carry probably won't happen in my life time unfortunately
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I think those laws are step in the right direction and deserve support.

Later on (hey,the antis use the incremental approach, why can't we?), we need to make it federal law that interference with gun rights, especially by those acting under color of law (like NOLA, back immediately post-Katrina) is a federal FELONY, punishable by a mandatory minimum prison term.

A civil cause of action for damages, with a statute that gave attorney's fees and costs to a successful plaintiff would be a great idea, too.

If it works for voting rights, and other constitutional rights (you wouldn't believe some of those rights), it'll work for gun rights.

That'll stop some of the monkeying around with our rights.

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    OH! Your so mean. I think I like you.

Lightbulb It Doesn't Matter.....

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    CCW National Carry probably won't happen in my life time unfortunately
    It's okay as long as there are state level agreements. I'm in Florida and we have such reciprocity agreements with at least 37 states. Those with whom we DON'T I'm probably not interested in visiting anyway. Those agreements would have to be deconstructed one at a time. Any federal law attempting to outlaw those agreements wholesale would likely be met with a successful 10th Amendment challenge but I doubt I'll see THAT in my lifetime.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Links