Illegal gun seller sent to jail...

This is a discussion on Illegal gun seller sent to jail... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Seized from Vaisman's residence were a broad range of weapons including assault handguns. Among the weapons were at least one Colt Cobra and at least ...

Thread: Illegal gun seller sent to jail...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Illegal gun seller sent to jail...

"Seized from Vaisman's residence were a broad range of weapons including assault handguns. Among the weapons were at least one Colt Cobra and at least one Colt Diamondback."

What exactly is an assault handgun? Could someone in MAryland please enlighten us? I'm not even going to start witht the other stuff...

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...?storyid=55536

Illegal gun seller sentenced to 18 months in jail
    Published on January 10, 2007

By Kate Leckie
    News-Post Staff
    FREDERICK -- David Ruvin Vaisman voluntarily gave up firearms valued at more than $200,000 seized from his residence in April 2005, but the Adamstown man still will serve jail time for violating Maryland gun laws.
    On Tuesday, Frederick County Circuit Court Judge G. Edward Dwyer Jr. sentenced Vaisman, who turns 46 today, to 18 months in the Frederick County Adult Detention Center for four misdemeanor gun violations.

Judge Dwyer crafted the sentences so that Vaisman could be sent to prison for 8 1/2 more years if he violates conditions of three years of supervised probation after his release.

Maryland Assistant Attorney General Clarence E. Goetz had recommended Vaisman serve five years in the Maryland Division of Correction.

Mr. Goetz, head of the attorney general's firearms trafficking unit, prosecutes those arrested under Operation Crime Gun, an initiative launched by former Maryland Attorney General J. Joseph Curran Jr. to crack down on gun trafficking and illegal handgun purchases, spokesman Kevin Enright said.

Operation Crime Gun targets individuals and dealers who illegally distribute firearms or are the source of guns later found to be linked to violent crimes, according to the attorney general's Web site.

Seized from Vaisman's residence were a broad range of weapons including assault handguns. Among the weapons were at least one Colt Cobra and at least one Colt Diamondback.

During sentencing Tuesday, Judge Dwyer declined to impose fines of $25,500, recognizing Vaisman's forfeiture of 143 guns removed from his residence in the 5700 block of Mountville Road.

Vaisman's wife, Margarita, also told the court she would not seek to have any of the seized guns returned to her. Some of the guns taken were her property, she said.

Indicted by the Frederick County grand jury in December 2005 on 24 charges, Vaisman agreed to plead guilty to four crimes, Mr. Enright said: selling registered firearms without a license; illegally engaging in the sale of firearms at a gun show without a license; possession of an assault pistol; and possession of stolen property.

Vaisman's punishment was left up to the court.

Judge Dwyer granted the request of defense attorney Alan L. Winik to allow Vaisman to participate in work release. The judge also delayed imposition of Vaisman's sentence until next week.

Mr. Winik said his client did not willfully violate Maryland gun laws.

"This case involves Mr. Vaisman's failure to properly perform paperwork and administrative functions required by firearms laws," he said.

Vaisman declined to address the court.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Maybe they were referring to an uzi or something of that nature. Hard to tell from the article.

My take is if he is guilty of what he was charged, plead guilty and sentenced for, then it is a good thing that he will spend some time in jail and won't be able to sell guns improperly.

You do the crime, you pay for it. Everyone on this forum seems to want BG's to pay for thier actions, well this guy is paying.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    http://mlis.state.md.us/2006rs/bills/hb/hb1367f.pdf
    Assault pistol: Pretty much anything that looks like a submachinegun. No features listed, just certain models. The probably picked the scary looking ones out of a magazine.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    It is unlawful to possess, sell, offer to sell, transfer, or receive a so-called "assault pistol." Current owners may possess such a pistol if it was registered with the state police before August 1, 1994. A registered pistol may be inherited. The following semiautomatic pistols or their copies are "assault pistols":

AA Arms AP-9; Bushmaster; Claridge HI-Tec; D-Max Industries; Encom Mk-IV, MP-9, and MP-45; H & K SP-89 Holmes MP83; Ingram MAC 10/11 and any variations, including Partisan Avenger and SWD Cobray; Intratec TEC-9 and DC-9 (centerfire only); P.A.W.S.; Skorpion; Spectre; Uzi; Weaver Arms "Nighthawk"; Wilkinson Arms "Linda".
    source link is http://www.mcsm.org/mdlaw.html a ways down the page
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    The evil features seem to be a bolt independent of a slide and/or a conspicuous magazine. Interesting that the desert eagle isn't on the list. Maybe it doesn't look scary enough.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Lead Moderator
    Maryland...... I can't wait to retire and get out. Any comment I could make would just get me
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Exclamation HYPE

What evil sounding names.COBRA and DIAMONDBACK!.....Both 6 shot revolvers,of whitch the basic action was designed in the 1800's.What will they find next?I have heard the sinister ANACONDA is going to be the doom of all mankind!

Quote Originally Posted by pistola
    What evil sounding names.COBRA and DIAMONDBACK!
    Yep. I'm sure that's the only reason they chose to mention those by name, because they SOUND oh so evil!

Hmmmm

assault handguns....those must be those "glock revolvers" I hear about in the news.
    -Biker

I was going to make a long comment, but I would rather not. Every time I hear of a law, or hear the media mention "assault weapon" it makes me want to beat someone with one of their "assault weapons". Our lawmakers and the media idiots wouldn't know the difference between a revolver, a semiautomatic, and an automatic weapon if they got it laid up across their thick stupid skulls.

End of rant!
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pistola View Post
    I have heard the sinister ANACONDA is going to be the doom of all mankind!
    Goodness gracious, I'll have to get rid of mine...NOT!

There sure are a lot of in Maryland (members of this forum excluded, of course)!

I aslways thought that an assault weapon was one used to illeagaly assault someone. You know steel pipe, Baseball bat, lug wrench, screwdriver, etc.

Whast would they charge him with if he had a good old fashioned 'Zip gun'?

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    An assault handgun is one that has a light mounted on it.

Seriously though, I think a lot of folks on both sides of the aisle refer to Tec 9s and the like as "assault" handguns.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Links