Another useless gun ownership study

This is a discussion on Another useless gun ownership study within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I guess this one will eventually get a lot of air play. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0111181527.htm...

Thread: Another useless gun ownership study

Another useless gun ownership study

I guess this one will eventually get a lot of air play.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0111181527.htm
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Correlation does not mean causation. Perhaps rates of ownership are higher because firearms owners recognize a threat? But of course (unless I missed it--my eyes tend to glaze over with these studies), the authors don't mention that possibility.

VIP Member
    This is meaningless. I'll give you a couple of reasons this is a load of .....you know what.

.....the world’s largest telephone survey with over 200,000 respondents nationwide. Respondents in all 50 states were asked whether any firearms were kept in or around their home. The survey found that approximately one in three American households reported firearm ownership....
    If someone calls me & asks if I have a gun in the household.....I'M GOING TO SAY NO!..so how many people answered honestly?

The other thing (& probably the most important) is that they don't address the number of crimes stopped or prevented by firearms........or worse they lump those into their statistics without noting them as successes.

Even in their own words they tell you they are full of it:
    The association between firearm prevalence and homicide was driven by gun-related homicide rates; non-gun-related homicide rates were not significantly associated with rates of firearm ownership.
    Pay attention to that part in bold.........if people kill people without using a gun, firearm ownership was not related! That tells me that people are going to kill each other, NO MATTER WHAT YOU TRY TO BAN.

People have been killing people for MANY thousands of years, they have, do & WILL continue to kill each other for the rest of human history.

This is just more drivel on trying to pass the blame onto an inanimate object (the firearm) instead of where it belongs........ON THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACT!

We kill far more people each year with automobiles than firearms. Yet the only people who want to ban the auto is the wacko-environmentalists. What does that tell you?

We're also being told that evil tobacco is killing thousands, but yet it is still legal (in most places). What does that tell you?

We're told trans-fats (whatever that is) are killing us. What does that tell you?

Alcohol kills a bunch every year, but alcohol is still legal. What does that tell you?

Then when the government does get involved with a ban on a product, it turns out to be a far worse solution than leaving well enough alone. Want a couple of examples of this?:

1) Remember Freon? This 'bad product' was thought to cause the ozone hole. Turns out the ozone hole comes & goes on cyclical rate all on it's own. Since the ban, ground level ozone has INCREASED. It now costs more for it's replacement chemicals, that are far more toxic. (not to mention, no where near as efficient or effective).

2) How about DDT, remember it? For those of you to young to recall it....it was a pesticide that was used to kill mosquitoes & other harmful insects. Well, someone thought that if it was over used it could cause SOME bird eggs not to develop correctly. So it was banned. They decided that protecting those few bird species was more important than saving hundreds of thousands (some estimates are MUCH higher) of HUMAN lives, that have been lost due to more serious diseases....like MALARIA.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I bet if you did a phone survey you'd find households that have a supply of insulin are far more likely to have a diabetic.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Simple...

Liars figure, and figures lie...

My home has lots of guns, and I am safer for THAT reason alone...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

First of all, homicides include justifyable shoots, including those by police officers.

This quarter at school I am completing my criminology minor, and the last class in the minor is research methods, in which we conduct a sociological research experiment based on a survey, much like this one probably was. In the first two weeks of the class i have learned two things: you can make the results of a survey say pretty much whatever you want depending on how you word questions, and it is hard to get people to answer truthfully to a survey. People always try to make themselves look better, or fear it is not anonymous, so they won't answer truthfully due to fear of reprocussions. Just something to keep in mind.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

They must have skipped over the Washington DC area code .
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

“Our findings suggest that in the United States, household firearms may be an important source of guns used to kill children, women and men, both on the street and in their homes,” said Miller.

WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP! I would love to see the way they crunched those numbers.

To quote a college professor, "There are Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics."

Looking at the facts honestly and scientifically does not produce results that fit their agenda. They started with a left-leaning view and did this study to prive their view, conveniently ignoring anything that might weaken their case.

“Our findings suggest that in the United States, household firearms may be an important source of guns used to kill children, women and men, both on the street and in their homes,” said Miller.

In order to reach this conclusion, they would actually have to check the sources of the guns used in crimes. If they were really stolen from law-abiding citizens then they could say that.

Also, I think if they are just going by "homicide" rates, they are against self defense and think that those poor burglars, gang-bangers and rapists should be protected from all of us mean people who want to keep our property and our lives.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Links