Anti-Blog Legislation coming soon

This is a discussion on Anti-Blog Legislation coming soon within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods - please move this to a different area if needed. Our forum, CombatCarry.com would be affected by pending legislation. Members should take notice and ...

Thread: Anti-Blog Legislation coming soon

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar

Anti-Blog Legislation coming soon

Mods - please move this to a different area if needed. Our forum, CombatCarry.com would be affected by pending legislation. Members should take notice and take action. Everyone's elected representatives need to know this is UNACCEPTABLE!

A friend sent an email about pending legislation to effectively shut down free speech via the internet, under the label of "anti-terrorism." The reality is that this legislation is to curb or restrict information about the back-room deals cut in Washington. My friend's email is posted in part:

"The following is totally unbelievable, yet, it could very well be the arrogance of those who support it, they will end up causing the demise of our free speech rights.

"Do they fear that too many bloggers communicate the truth to the people? Do they fear that their corruption would be exposed on the Internet being the main stream media is controlled by them and the leftist agenda. I fear America, it's borders it's sovereignty and our rights will all become history if this, along with the latest law in AZ to stop Minutemen from patrolling the borders, will eventually tear down what was once the world greatest nation, the United States of America.

"This also may very well limit our communication here in our forum and therefore limit our activities, programs and all we attempt to do for the American people. Somebody has got to stop this madness before it goes any further or gets any more, out of hand.

"I SEE AMERICAN DISSIDENTS IN OUR FUTURE IN ABU GULAGS - NO DIFFERENT THAN THOSE WHO WERE AND CONTINUE TO OPERATE IN RUSSIA."

"Bloggers Who Criticize Government May Face Prison
    Bill would allow rounding up and imprisoning of non-registered political writers"

Steve Watson
    Infowars.net
    Thursday, January 18, 2007

"You'd be forgiven for thinking that it was some new restriction on free speech in Communist China. But it isn't. The U.S . Government wants to force bloggers and online grassroots activists to register and regularly report their activities to Congress in the latest astounding attack on the internet and the First Amendment.

"Richard A. Viguerie, Chairman of GrassrootsFreedom.com, a website dedicated to fighting efforts to silence grassroots movements, states:

"Section 220 of S. 1, the lobbying reform bill currently before the Senate, would require grassroots causes, even bloggers, who communicate to 500 or more members of the public on policy matters, to register and report quarterly to Congress the same as the big K Street lobbyists. Section 220 would amend existing lobbying reporting law by creating the most expansive intrusion on First Amendment rights ever. For the first time in history, critics of Congress will need to register and report with Congress itself."

"In other words Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats may redefine the meaning of lobbying in order that political communications to and even between citizens falls under the same legislation.

"Under current law any 'lobbyist" who 'knowingly and willingly fails to file or report." quarterly to the government faces criminal charges including a possible jail term of up to one year.

"The amendment is currently on hold.

"This latest attack on bloggers comes hot on the heels of Republican Senator John McCain's proposal to introduce legislation that would fine blogs up to $300,000 for offensive statements, photos and videos posted by visitors on comment boards.

"McCain's proposal is presented under the banner of saving children from sexual predators and encourages informants to shop website owners to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, who then pass the information on to the relevant police authorities.

"Despite a total lack of any evidence that children are being victimized en mass by bloggers or people who leave comments on blog sites, it seems likely that the proposal will become legislation in some form. It is well known that McCain has a distaste for his blogosphere critics, causing a definite conflict of interest where any proposal to restrict blogs on his part is concerned.

"In recent months, a chorus of propaganda intended to demonize the Internet and further lead it down a path of strict control has spewed forth from numerous establishment organs:

"During an appearance with his wife Barbara on Fox News last November, George Bush senior slammed Internet bloggers for creating an "adversarial and ugly climate."

- The White House's own recently de-classified strategy for "winning the war on terror" targets Internet conspiracy theories as a recruiting ground for terrorists and threatens to "diminish" their influence.

- The Pentagon recently announced its effort to infiltrate the Internet and propagandize for the war on terror.

- In a speech last month, Homeland Security director Michael Chertoff identified the web as a "terror training camp," through which "disaffected people living in the United States" are developing "radical ideologies and potentially violent skills." Chertoff pledged to dispatch Homeland Security agents to local police departments in order to aid in the apprehension of domestic terrorists who use the Internet as a political tool.

- A landmark legal case on behalf of the Recording Industry Association of America and other global trade organizations seeks to criminalize all Internet file sharing of any kind as copyright infringement, effectively shutting down the world wide web - and their argument is supported by the U.S. government.

- A landmark legal ruling in Sydney goes further than ever before in setting the trap door for the destruction of the Internet as we know it and the end of alternative news websites and blogs by creating the precedent that simply linking to other websites is breach of copyright and piracy.

- The European Union, led by former Stalinist and potential future British Prime Minister John Reid, has also vowed to shut down "terrorists" who use the Internet to spread propaganda.

- The EU also recently proposed legislation that would prevent users from uploading any form of video without a license.

- We have also previously exposed how moves are afoot to clamp down on internet neutrality and even to designate a highly restricted new form of the internet known as Internet 2."
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    And if I said VOTE Libertarian everyone will scoff and go out and vote for the same fools they have been voting for over many years. The same people that are taking away our rights are getting to continue to take away our rights because the voters of America refuse to get off their dead a$$e$ and make the changes needed to make a better America. Everybody wants to whine and cry but their not willing to do anything to make a change.

Agreed! Perhaps if enough people hear of this, and Gonzales' argument with Spector (a lefty) about habeus corpus, they will take action. Kinda doubt it though.
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

1943 - 2009
    "Section 220 of S. 1, the lobbying reform bill currently before the Senate, would require grassroots causes, even bloggers, who communicate to 500 or more members of the public on policy matters, to register and report quarterly to Congress the same as the big K Street lobbyists. Section 220 would amend existing lobbying reporting law by creating the most expansive intrusion on First Amendment rights ever. For the first time in history, critics of Congress will need to register and report with Congress itself."
    This amendment was defeated in the U.S. Senate.

http://www.gunowners.org/a011907.htm

Another thread here: http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19789

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

For now. BTW, some blogs have banner ads. An attorney friend stated revenue generated by the banner ads could be used to satisfy the "money test." It's a stretch, but I don't trust anything that comes out of Washington. Those elected to office have but one priority: getting re-elected. A second goal is to line their (or family's) pocket. I think I'll just stick to my hobbies and pray the prevailing winds continue to blow from west-to-east. That way the stench coming out of Washington will continue to blow into the Atlantic!
    Tim
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper208 View Post
    I think I'll just stick to my hobbies and pray the prevailing winds continue to blow from west-to-east. That way the stench coming out of Washington will continue to blow into the Atlantic!
    only to be replaced with Kalifornia's reek

This was a pretty scary bill, and I'm just grateful it died in the senate (though it shouldn't gotten that far in the first place).

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    It was defeated, but by how much? Any voting record for it? I'd like to know who voted for this one.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Just as well that it was defeated. Hell .. I didn't see much of a success for it anyway even if it was implemented.

They can't even control spam
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I believe the vote was 55 to 43 or something like that, the other thread on this had who voted for the losing side

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=19789
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

This Crap Never Ceases To Amaze Me...

And all of this is done under the idea of 'representation'?

I do agree with the above poster who refers to the two party system :vs: we need another party (Libertarian). For now, I'm voting for the one who promises the least...then I'm not as disappointed.

This two party system has made sure that no third party can ever enter the race.

What a bunch of unbelieveable, self-serving, idiots/crooks who supposedly work for US!

I suspect that our firearms will soon come under full attack!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Here's a link to the GOA press release on it.

http://www.gunowners.org/a011907.htm

Friday, January 19, 2007 Congratulations! You have, once again, whupped the anti-gun zealots! As Constitution-hating senators like California’s Dianne Feinstein whined and complained, the Senate -- by a narrow largely-party-line vote of 55-43 -- struck language which would have required GOA to monitor and report on its communications with its members and friends (like you).

GOA has heard reports that there was an outpouring of calls against this anti-speech language on Capitol Hill, and that it made a huge difference.

In addition to the massive wave of grassroots opposition, GOA was also working in concert with key Hill players (many of them trained by GOA) to hammer out a legislative strategy that would either result in the death of the entire bill or, at a minimum, kill the dangerous Section 220.

The good news came late on Thursday night when the Bennett amendment -- which deleted this unconstitutional "grassroots lobbying" reporting language contained in S. 1 -- was adopted by the narrow margin mentioned above.

The war is not over. The House has yet to produce its bill in this area – and no one is betting that the House will "do the right thing." But we have won what perhaps will be the most important battle.

The 43 Senators who voted to take us down the road of more government regulation and more restrictions on the right of free speech -- a road that would eventually make it harder for all of us to petition our government servants -- are listed below:

Akaka (D-HI)
    Biden (D-DE)
    Bingaman (D-NM)
    Boxer (D-CA)
    Brown (D-OH)
    Byrd (D-WV)
    Cantwell (D-WA)
    Cardin (D-MD)
    Carper (D-DE)
    Casey (D-PA)
    Clinton (D-NY)
    Dodd (D-CT)
    Durbin (D-IL)
    Feingold (D-WI)
    Feinstein (D-CA)
    Harkin (D-IA)
    Inouye (D-HI)
    Kennedy (D-MA)
    Kerry (D-MA)
    Klobuchar (D-MN)
    Kohl (D-WI)
    Lautenberg (D-NJ)
    Leahy (D-VT)
    Levin (D-MI)
    Lieberman (ID-CT)
    Lincoln (D-AR)
    McCaskill (D-MO)
    Menendez (D-NJ)
    Mikulski (D-MD)
    Murray (D-WA)
    Nelson (D-FL)
    Obama (D-IL)
    Pryor (D-AR)
    Reed (D-RI)
    Reid (D-NV)
    Rockefeller (D-WV)
    Sanders (I-VT)
    Schumer (D-NY)
    Stabenow (D-MI)
    tester (D-MT)
    Webb (D-VA)
    Whitehouse (D-RI)
    Wyden (D-OR)
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    It was defeated, but by how much? Any voting record for it? I'd like to know who voted for this one.
    +1. I think I just became a journalist.
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims." - Ayn Rand, The Nature of Government, 1964

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    When you think about political speech censorship, and John McCain continues to try to run for president, remember that he silenced groups like the NRA with his b.s. "campaign finance reform" law, and of course he had Democrat help (Feingold).

BOTH sides don't want you to have any significant power over the government. McCain is no friend of gun owners, either. (RINO, after all.)

Doesn't leave us a whole lot of good choices, now does it.

Links