America Learn from the UK

This is a discussion on America Learn from the UK within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hi guys, I wanted to start this post to talk about the problem your country is experiencing with gun control and what mine has gone ...

Thread: America Learn from the UK

Exclamation America Learn from the UK

Hi guys,

I wanted to start this post to talk about the problem your country is experiencing with gun control and what mine has gone through. Obviously the same thing happened in the UK now about 10 years ago after the Dun Blain Massacre. Now as a result firearms almost non existent (only bolt actions with 5 round mags on a full license, .22 rifles, and shotguns with barrels bigger than 24" and with a shell capacity no bigger than three.)

The problem comes about after every tragedy where some criminal or mentally ill nut obtains a firearm and goes nuts. As a result many people will call for all your arms to be taken away (look at your situation after that hurricane in New Orleans) and they will succeed as people feel sorry for them and will not stand up. The problem is criminals will always be able to get hold of firearms so any legislation only controls the law abiding citizens, making you more vulnerable to criminals.
    In England if my wife is being raped and I shoot the rapist burglar and kill him, I will be tried with murder. We canít even use tazers as they are classed as a firearm. Why cant people make laws that punish the criminals like "any one caught with an illegal firearm gets 20 year's" it would make them think twice before being a scumbag. And then reward the civilians whop are responsible tax paying honest people with more liberal gun laws. If you are mentally ill or been inside the can you canít own a firearm.

What do you guys think will work? I will give you one bit of advice,

DO NOT GET BULLYIED INTO SUBMISSION BY THE GOVERNMENT AND LIBERAL IDEALISTS!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Miles, as an ex Brit - you are talking to the converted and also someone who sees the continuing downward spiral regarding people's right to self defence. Not to mention the bias that seems ever increasing toward the well being of the criminal

There will need to be a huge change - instigated by the majority, to see any useful turn-around and sadly with sheep so prevalent in the Western world that is not likely anytime soon. It would take one very profound event perhaps to start the ball rolling - but that may be just optimism.

Read my own UK guns story on one of my sites.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Miles:

I'm not from the UK, and I'm not really even sure if I have any ancestral ties to it.

I feel for you and yours and take your warning to heart.

If it all possible, come over here. We'll be glad to have you.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Immigration

You should apply to immigrate to the US, as we need more people of your mind set.

A shooting range I frequent rents guns to customers, and often gets foreign visitors from the UK, Japan and Canada. These visitors are like kids in the candy store, and will rent several guns, buy a ton of ammunition, and spend hours on the range blazing away. You can't suppress basic instincts.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    You are in a tough spot, Miles. I hope I never have to understand your position. Another poster put forth an idea for consideration - the one about immigrating.

All things aside - it is excellent to hear that there are like-minded gentlemen and ladies across the Atlantic. You position is, as I said, a shame though.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I think that British and Australian gun owners who want to immigrate to the United States of America should be entitled to political asylum and a fast track to citizenship -- because they are persecuted for their political views regarding guns in those countries!

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Excellent idea, peacefuljeffrey...******* thought...
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by milesoverton View Post
    In England if my wife is being raped and I shoot the rapist burglar and kill him, I will be tried with murder.
    The government hacks that deny people the right to defend themselves should be hung for treason against the People. Until that is included in the punishment for the audacity of elevating the "rights" of criminals above citizens, it won't be put to rest.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    What do you guys think will work?
    Pubilc hangings of any official that advocates "disarmament"of the citizens would be a great start.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Excellent idea, peacefuljeffrey...******* thought...

Heck, you should stick around! I come out with lotsa those!

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Pubilc hangings of any official that advocates "disarmament"of the citizens would be a great start.
    That's got my vote!

Links