Senate Right-To-Carry bill introduced

This is a discussion on Senate Right-To-Carry bill introduced within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Think it has a chance with the Democrats in control? U.S. Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) recently introduced S. 388--the Senate version of H.R. 226, a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senate Right-To-Carry bill introduced

Senate Right-To-Carry bill introduced

Think it has a chance with the Democrats in control?

U.S. Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) recently introduced S. 388--the Senate version of H.R. 226, a national Right-to-Carry reciprocity bill that would provide national reciprocity for state carry licensees. This legislation would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if they meet certain criteria. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.

For more information on these bills, please visit http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactShe...ad.aspx?ID=189.

Please be sure to contact your U.S. Senators and Representative and ask them to cosponsor and support S. 388 and H.R. 226! You can call your U.S. Senators at (202) 224-3121, and your U.S. Representative at (202) 225-3121.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not much of a chance, really. Many on this forum don't like such bills, because they feel such legislation would trample on state prerogatives. I am not of that mind, but I see their point. Personally, I believe the correct stance is for the Second Amendment to be fully incorporated by SCOTUS, but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen, either.

So, I personally hope that this does go somewhere, but I doubt that it will.

Lead Moderator
    Sadly the words snowball and hell come to mind.

Think if it passed it would be held up in the courts for years fighting over States Rights.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    It makes too much sense to have a chance in the beltway wonderland. Even though it sounds too good to be true, I hope it gets through.

Not all dems are antis (their leadership certainly is)- the guy who just got elected from (Montana?) in the Senate is a Dem (lifelong rancher), and I remember a NYT or Washington Post article on him a day or two after the election. You ain't takin' away THAT dude's guns unless he's out of ammo.....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Sadly, it seems that most any kind of "national" approach to anything goes awry. I'd like more reciprocity agreements between the states.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by my2cents View Post
    Sadly, it seems that most any kind of "national" approach to anything goes awry. I'd like more reciprocity agreements between the states.
    I would like to see more state cooperation than a Federal mandate.

When the states do it, it is more like a pick up basketball game...A bunch of like minded guys doing something they enjoy.

When the Feds get involved it becomes more of "play it my way or don't play at all".

I fear that if the Fed gets involved, the nthere could be more regulation to something that is already too regulated.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Today I went to http://www.congress.org and sent a message to my Fed and State reps as follows:
    Please support S. 388 and H.R. 226 for National Right-To-Carry reciprocity bills as per the following article:
    U.S. Senator John Thune (R-S.D.) recently introduced S. 388--the Senate version of H.R. 226, a national Right-to-Carry reciprocity bill that would provide national reciprocity for state carry licensees. This legislation would allow any person with a valid carry permit or license issued by a state to carry a concealed firearm in any other state if they meet certain criteria. The bill would not create a federal licensing system; it would simply require the states to recognize each other's carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses.
    Thank you for your consideration in this matter.
    For God, Family and Country!

1943 - 2009
    Not all dems are antis (their leadership certainly is)- the guy who just got elected from (Montana?) in the Senate is a Dem (lifelong rancher), and I remember a NYT or Washington Post article on him a day or two after the election. You ain't takin' away THAT dude's guns unless he's out of ammo.....
    This is Jon tester, the new Montana Senator. He campaigned on a pro-gun platform, and he had an "A" rating from the NRA, but...... let's just say he talks the talk but he doesn't walk the walk.

In the 2005 Montana Legislature, as Senate President, he refused to allow a "Castle Doctrine" bill that had already been passed by the House go to the full Senate for a vote, consequently the bill died.

He's already cast one anti-gun vote in the U.S. Senate and he hasn't been in office a full month yet.

When youíre wounded and left on Afghanistanís plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

I wish it would pass

I wish this would pass into law, but I think its a long shot.

If it did pass, I would strap on my biggest handgun and go for a grand tour of certain states, including New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, California and Hawaii.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Oh man. I am completely against a federal carry permit and the gov't messing with state's rights. However.... A regulatory bill about recognition of other states permits.... I do like that.

I do feel it will fail but I'm going to pray on it. I won't hike in California because I can't carry there - which is a shame because I was planning a trip to Tahoe in May.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Whether or not the bill fails, I think that this bill will be used as bait. I think that it will end up baiting out some of the "pro-gun" Dems to see where they are really going to vote when the time comes. If they vote "No" then that will be used by the Republicans in the next election to show that their representation of a "pro-gun" attitude was a sham.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Captain Crunch:

Thanks for the tester update...I had been duped...grrrrr.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

My letter to congress

I used the link to congress and sent the following to my elected officials:

Thank you for using Congress.org Mail System

Message sent to the following recipients:
    Senator Durbin
    Senator Obama
    Representative Costello
    Mr. President
    Message text follows:

Michael Sykes
    237 Debra Lane
    Sparta, IL 62286-1902

January 27, 2007

[recipient address was inserted here]

[recipient name was inserted here],

Before you continue to read this e-mail, please stop for a minute and remember the concept of "COMMON SENSE" that your parents tried to hard to instill into you while you were growing up. I realize that the direction our lives take severely influences our thinking until the original concept of common sense disappears into history. Please put this concept behind you as you continue to read this plea!

Please support S. 388 and H.R. 226 for National Right-To-Carry reciprocity bills.

I am currently a resident of Illinois. I pay taxes, own property and vote! This said, I have no ability to protect myself or my family from harm while outside my home! Illinois is one of only two states that offer no such right to protect one self or one's family by allowing citizens to carry concealed weapons.

There is absolutely NO data available to support any theory of "wild west style shooting" or "blood flowing in our streets" of ANY state allowing the citizens the right to carry. There is however, overwhelming evidence of decreasing crime statistics after states adapt the concept o concealed carry! A final question, do you REALLY think that no matter what laws or restrictions a state passes infringing on an individuals right to exercise his or her 2nd amendment rights, that the bad guys will abide by those statutes or restrictions? Lets start to think CRIME CONTROL does NOT equal Gun Control!

Therefore I ask that you consider the above and support the above bills.
    Remembering that you are elected officials! Your personal feelings, good or bad are to be discounted and as an elected official, you are to put the wants of your voters above your own!

Sincerely,

Michael Sykes

Sorry for the long post but, being a resident (read - "subject") of Illinois, at least for the next year, I felt strongly enough to speak out. Please join me and let's see how far we can take this bill.

Respectfully!

Mike

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    sounds like a good idea to me. I have no problem with requiring that states honor each others licensing systems. As long as there are no federal standards governing off-limits areas or state licensing requirements, but only reciprocity, I see no more infringement on states' rights than prohibiting state-to-state export taxes.

It'll never pass, but as was pointed out earlier, it'll be a good way to flush the anti's out for everyone to see.

This came out in the last session of Congress. Both House and Senate got about 25% co-sponsers for their respective bills, with nothing happening. I expect more of the same.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links