PA Governor Rendell's approach to Gun Violence

This is a discussion on PA Governor Rendell's approach to Gun Violence within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Came across it this morning, This is from Rendell's 2007-08 Executive Budget Statement, Feb 6 2007. "As Governor, I have attacked the problem of gun ...

Thread: PA Governor Rendell's approach to Gun Violence

PA Governor Rendell's approach to Gun Violence

Came across it this morning, This is from Rendell's 2007-08 Executive Budget Statement, Feb 6 2007.

"As Governor, I have attacked the problem of gun violence on several fronts. Together, we have increased state funding to support the efforts of local police departments and law enforcement agencies to fight violence in our cities, with a particular focus on cities dealing with rising gun violence. We have also dramatically increased resources in public education, helping young people understand the consequences of violence and the need to make better choices.

But we must do more. I urge the General Assembly to address the issue of gun violence in the following ways: first, by upgrading possession of a stolen gun to a felony, so that the penalties can be significantly upgraded. Today, the penalty for possession of a stolen television is more severe than the penalty for possession of a stolen gun.

Second, I urge passage of legislation making it mandatory to report the loss or theft of a gun to police, which will have a dramatic impact on illegal gun trafficking in Pennsylvania. We require you to report the theft of a car; we should do no less for the theft of a gun.

Third, I will support legislation that enables local communities to enact their own restrictions on the flow, distribution and use of handguns.

Fourth, it is time for this state to end gun trafficking by enacting a one handgun a month law. Such legislation will put a stop to gun runners who sell so many of our crime guns and will put no burden on lawful gun owners who can still purchase 12 handguns a year or 24 handguns if they are married.

In a recent column in The Philadelphia Inquirer, an unnamed Pennsylvania legislator said that in a secret ballot the General Assembly would pass one gun a month by a three to one margin. So I call on you to show the courage of your convictions and rid Pennsylvania once and for all of the devastation of gun trafficking."

I'm all for enforcing the laws we have now, but to allow one gun a month and allowing local communities to enact thier own restrictions on handguns. Those of us here in PA so need to put a stop to this.

2. Remove Ads

It will be interesting to see how many criminals report their missing guns. And it will also be interesting if criminals abide by the 1 gun a month law. Do these people honestly think that anyone is going to go legally buy a couple hundred dollar gun at a gun store, or gun show.. possibly a few guns... then turn around and sell them cheap on the streets?

Now I don't know about any of you, but I personally am not out to lose money. I don't think criminals are either. They want a good deal, that's why they steal for a living. they don't hold jobs, they rob and steal for their money. So I do not think they are in a big hurry to spend their "hard earned" money on a gun, then turn around and sell it dirt cheap on the streets.

And yeah, the 1 gun a month law won't hurt law abiding citizens at all. So, you're telling me that since I am looking for a small revolver, and a small semi-auto right now for new carry guns... that me having to wait 1 month between purchases, doesn't affect me? Considering I wanted to purchase both right now.. it sure would affect me.

Personally, I wouldn't feel bad if half of our law makers stupidly stepped out in front of a bus or train and were taken off this earth. Our freedoms would be much more secure, that's for sure.

(disclaimer) CIA, Secret Service, FBI.. that is not a death threat, I don't own a bus and I don't own a train. merely an opinion which my constitution entitles me to! So please, no black suv's or choppers surrounding me tomorrow lol

I couldn't agree more, do they really think that the criminal is only going to buy one gun a month. I can see it now, Oh by the way Mr Illegal Gun Runner I can only buy one gun a month now. Most of their guns are stolen from us law abiding citizens to begin with.
    If the criminals are not abiding by the laws we have now what makes them think that new laws are going to be any different. These new laws don't do anything but give the bad guy the advantage.

That's fat Eddy for ya.

(disclaimer) CIA, Secret Service, FBI.. that is not a death threat, I don't own a bus and I don't own a train. merely an opinion which my constitution entitles me to! So please, no black suv's or choppers surrounding me tomorrow lol
    muahahhaha!

Assistant Administrator
    legislation that enables local communities to enact their own restrictions on the flow, distribution and use of handguns.
    That one scares me more than the one a month crap. If loosely worded and badly controlled who knows what some regions might dream up, in the name of ''safety''

Seems like pre-emption is being tossed out the window.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

You all know as well as I do that a lot of gun owners had to vote for that idiot for him to be elected.

So, democratic gunowners in Penn have absolutely no right whatsoever to complain about any future onerous gun laws.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Kid1911;288969]Third, I will support legislation that enables local communities to enact their own restrictions on the flow, distribution and use of handguns.

Kinda like what they did to us right after it was passed.
    We caught their attention and have something going before state lawmakers in the next week or so that should undo their screwups.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Assistant Administrator
    You all know as well as I do that a lot of gun owners had to vote for that idiot for him to be elected.
    Seems a bit harsh Laurence! Obviously he did not get my paltry vote but also even tho PA is well filled with gun owners, I reckon most of those could have not given him their vote and he'd still have gotten in - plenty of sheep around!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Here is a link to his statements. I was looking for it so I would have a reference when I emailed about it.

http://www.state.pa.us/papower/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=459910

A buddy of mine is a LEO in Pittsburgh. So as far as the first item (Stolen gun) it's pretty weak. He and the other officers do whatever they can to get criminals on weapons charges but rarely are the criminals procicuted for them.

The second item just makes the legal gun owner a criminal if his weapon is stolen and he doesn't file a report.

I dont even want to get started on the last two. If you live in PA shoot him an email perhaps if enough of us voice our opinions he'll think twice about pushing this "stuff".
    There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation. That's one firearm for every twelve people on the planet. The only question is: How do we arm the other 11? (Yuri Orlov [Nicolas Cage] Lord of War)

To bolster Chris's comment, Pennsylvania had little choice as far as governor candidates went. The GOP threw a previous Steeler out there, and while he was a great guy, lacked the experience. Likewise, the far eastern and western parts of the state carried Rendell. These densly populated parts are home to plenty of antis. The middle of the state, where all the 2nd Amendment brothers and sisters reside, couldn't do too much, however, they showed up red on county maps!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Third, I will support legislation that enables local communities to enact their own restrictions on the flow, distribution and use of handguns.
    Yeah, it'd be really great to go back to having a patchwork of inconsistent laws. That's not a plan that would snare otherwise law-abiding people, because they'd have to know the laws of every fricking town and county as they enter them?

Fourth, it is time for this state to end gun trafficking by enacting a one handgun a month law. Such legislation will put a stop to gun runners who sell so many of our crime guns and will put no burden on lawful gun owners who can still purchase 12 handguns a year – or 24 handguns if they are married.
    This would put a stop to gun runner? How? What kind of MORON believes that legal gun sales (the kind that would not be able to be done more than once a month) are the ones that are funneled right to criminals? As someone else pointed out, who actually believes that someone would pay retail, in a legal and background-checked FFL transaction, and then sell the gun for a street value (which would be under the gun's retail price)?!

In a recent column in The Philadelphia Inquirer, an unnamed Pennsylvania legislator said that in a secret ballot the General Assembly would pass one gun a month by a three to one margin. So I call on you to show the courage of your convictions and rid Pennsylvania once and for all of the devastation of gun trafficking.
    This is troubling. Is he saying that the vote would be conducted with secret ballots, so that constituents would not be able to know if their representative voted for or against these measures?!

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    This is troubling. Is he saying that the vote would be conducted with secret ballots, so that constituents would not be able to know if their representative voted for or against these measures?!
    This is an excellent point. Secret ballots remove the most important criticism, that of the voters.

Links