Scores Killed, Hundreds Injured As Para-Military Extremists Riot

This is a discussion on Scores Killed, Hundreds Injured As Para-Military Extremists Riot within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Scores Killed, Hundreds Injured As Para-Military Extremists Riot BOSTON, April 20 - National Guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons ...

Thread: Scores Killed, Hundreds Injured As Para-Military Extremists Riot

VIP Member

BOSTON, April 20 - National Guard units seeking to confiscate a cache of recently banned assault weapons were ambushed on April 19th by elements of a para-military extremist faction. Military and law enforcement sources estimated that 72 were killed and more than 20 injured before government forces were compelled to withdraw.
    Speaking after the clash, Massachusetts Governor Thomas Gage declared that the extremist faction, which was made up of local citizens, has links to the radical right-wing tax protest movement. Gage blamed the extremists for recent incidents of vandalism directed against internal revenue offices.

The governor, who described the group's organizers as "criminals," issued an executive order authorizing the summary arrest of any individual who has interfered with the government's efforts to secure law and order.
    The military raid on the extremist arsenal followed wide-spread refusal by the local citizenry to turn over recently outlawed assault weapons. Gage issued a ban on military-style assault weapons and ammunition earlier in the week. This decision followed a meeting in early April between government and military leaders at which the governor authorized the forcible confiscation of illegal arms. One government official, speaking on condition of anonymity, pointed out that "none of these people would have been killed had the extremists obeyed the law and turned their weapons over voluntarily."

"Government troops initially succeeded in confiscating a large supply of outlawed weapons and ammunition. However, troops attempting to seize arms and ammunition in Lexington met with resistance from heavily-armed extremists who had been tipped off regarding the government's plans.

During a tense standoff in Lexington's town park, National Guard Colonel Francis Smith, commander of the government operation, ordered the armed group to surrender and return to their homes. The impasse was broken by a single shot, which was reportedly fired by one of the right-wing extremists. Eight civilians were killed in the ensuing exchange.

Ironically, the local citizenry blamed government forces rather than the extremists for the civilian deaths. Before order could be restored, armed citizens from surrounding areas had descended upon the guard units. Colonel Smith, finding his forces overmatched by the armed mob, ordered a retreat.

Governor Gage has called upon citizens to support the state/national joint task force in its effort to restore law and order. The governor has also demanded the surrender of those responsible for planning and leading the attack against the government troops. Samuel Adams, Paul Revere, and John Hancock, who have been identified as "ringleaders" of the extremist faction, remain at large.
    I founf this browsing around and I thought it provocative. My apologies if it has been posted before.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

awesome! I only hope that spirit is still alive and kicking in this country when the day comes again.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Mind if I Steal it?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Will happen again if we let it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Will happen again if we let it.
    it'll happen again, and sadly people will let it. If any resistance is met, I fear all it will look like is the lone citizen having a shootout in their home.. made to look like a criminal on the news. One man acting alone won't get much done. Many together in a group, will be a different story. Should the day ever come, how to organize such a thing without being squashed by the govt and thrown in jail? that's the $1 million question that someone needs to figure out an answer to.

You really had me going for a minute. I was really hooked until I read the last paragraph. I would hope that this would be the spirit if Clinton got in and decided to do a gun grab.
    Last edited by Tom G; February 8th, 2007 at 07:16 AM. Reason: bad spelling

If I'm not mistaken, isn't MA already beyond this? Assault weapons are banned there like in Kalifornia, aren't they? I just hope some of us in the rest of the country have the guts to resist.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

The majority of the population is no longer freedom-loving frontiersmen like it was in the 18th century. Now most people just want to be safe and secure, and would gladly give up some (most) of their rights in the name of security.

I fear that should a situation like this rise again, we would be sorely outnumbered by sheep.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    It had me going until I saw "Lexington" and then my history light bulb lit up. I might put that into an away message, cause it definitely needs some exposure.

I'm definitely afraid of what would happen in this country today if a UK-style blanket gun ban and confiscation were forcfully implemented. I like to think people wouldn't just bend over and take it, but if there is armed resistance, even by small groups, I doubt how effective they could really be.

Sort of on the same topic, what ever happened to that guy who was bunkered up refusing to pay his income taxes a few weeks back?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    I'm definitely afraid of what would happen in this country today if a UK-style blanket gun ban and confiscation were forcfully implemented. I like to think people wouldn't just bend over and take it, but if there is armed resistance, even by small groups, I doubt how effective they could really be.

Sort of on the same topic, what ever happened to that guy who was bunkered up refusing to pay his income taxes a few weeks back?
    For one thing, it would effectively take a Constitutional amendment to do so, and that certainly can't happen quickly. I can't imagine them even getting it out of Congress, much less ratified by 3/4 of the states. Heck, we couldn't even get 3/4 of the states to agree on the Equal Rights Amendment.

As for the guy and income taxes, he's probably in custody like any other scofflaw. Unless the 16th Amendment gets repealed (unlikely), the requirement to pay your income taxes is the law of the land. Tax evaders rip us all off. Remember, we have taxation with representation.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    For one thing, it would effectively take a Constitutional amendment to do so, and that certainly can't happen quickly. I can't imagine them even getting it out of Congress, much less ratified by 3/4 of the states. Heck, we couldn't even get 3/4 of the states to agree on the Equal Rights Amendment.

As for the guy and income taxes, he's probably in custody like any other scofflaw. Unless the 16th Amendment gets repealed (unlikely), the requirement to pay your income taxes is the law of the land. Tax evaders rip us all off. Remember, we have taxation with representation.
    I wouldn't be so certain it would take an amendment. The law is only as good as those who enforce it, and there are plenty of things already that violate a certain amendment. Incrementalism can go a long way. With the right (wrong) people in power, I wouldn't be surprised to see them try a blanket ban.

And not to hijack, but it looks like Mr. Tax Evasion is still holed up. http://www.wcsh6.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=52032

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I would point out one thing... the troops attempting to sieze the weapons weren't National Guard, they were Regular Army (for the time). The National Guard (of the time) were the ones on defense.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Links