Bloomy's Suit shot down by the feds?

This is a discussion on Bloomy's Suit shot down by the feds? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-417714c.html The text for those that can't follow the link: BY MICHAEL SAUL DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF The federal government will not file ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bloomy's Suit shot down by the feds?

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/sto...p-417714c.html

The text for those that can't follow the link:
    BY MICHAEL SAUL
    DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

The federal government will not file criminal charges against any of the 15 out-of-state gun dealers accused by Mayor Bloomberg in a federal lawsuit of selling guns illegally, the Daily News has learned.
    In a stern rebuke to the city's high-profile crusade against illegal guns, the feds warned the Bloomberg administration that it could face "potential legal liabilities" if it continues to conduct sting operations that fall within the jurisdiction of federal agents.

Bloomberg announced the filing of a federal lawsuit last May against 15 gun dealers, who he lambasted as the "worst of the worst." The city later filed a similar lawsuit against another 12 dealers.

In both cases, the city sent private investigators to gun dealers and secretly videotaped them making what Bloomberg called illegal "straw purchases."

A "straw purchase" refers to when an individual talks with a store clerk about purchasing a gun, but then gets another person to fill out the required federal forms and undergo the mandatory background check.

According to a letter sent to City Hall, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and various U.S. attorneys' offices have determined the city's findings against the 15 dealers "do not rise to a level that would support a criminal prosecution."

The letter - sent Tuesday by Michael Battle, director of the executive office for United States Attorneys at the Department of Justice - also scolded City Hall for engaging in sting operations involving persons "without proper law enforcement authority," saying that could put the city in legal jeopardy. Battle added that City Hall could "unintentionally interrupt or jeopardize" criminal probes.

Asked if the Bloomberg administration plans to stop conducting the sting operations, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said, "Not necessarily."

"The city hasn't violated any laws," Skyler said defiantly, adding that the city will continue to pursue its civil lawsuits against the gun dealers.

Originally published on February 8, 2007
    All contents © 2007 Daily News, L.P.

Good. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Bloomy!

Assistant Administrator
    The city hasn't violated any laws," Skyler said defiantly,
    So organizing sting straw purchases is totally legal huh! Right!!

Bloomy has been over stepping the mark for ages and it's past time he and his cronies were brought to book. Anyone would think they are the Fed's!!! I'd love to see ........

''Fed's make numerous arrests at City Hall''!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    So organizing sting straw purchases is totally legal huh! Right!!

Bloomy has been over stepping the mark for ages and it's past time he and his cronies were brought to book. Anyone would think they are the Fed's!!! I'd love to see ........

''Fed's make numerous arrests at City Hall''!

kinda what I was thinking. If it's not illegal, I think I'm going to instruct my best friend to go buy some guns for someone that I know who is a convicted felon. I'm just curious if the purchase will go through. Only one way to find out, and that's do it. Afterall, it's not breaking any laws.. right?

Why should Blumberg and his flunkies get away with breaking federal law by admittedly making straw purchases? They have no standing as federal law enforcement agents, and theyíve very visibly and publicly broken federal law.

They should be promptly and vigorously prosecuted for these crimes. If they arenít, someone on the federal level isnít doing his job, and should be reprimanded and/or replaced.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Exactly. The Bloomberg "investigators" are, simply, criminals. With no legal law-enforcement authority, they went out to frame gun sellers for making straw sales--but they had to make illegal straw purchases in order to do it!

Imagine if there was a prostitute on your street corner, and the cops were ignoring the problem. So you got some money and a camcorder, paid her for sex, and recorded the entire transaction. Then you went to the DA and showed him your proof, and said, "Here's video of me having sex with and paying the prostitute; now you have what you need, so go arrest her."

You don't have a special dispensation to solicit prostitution without criminal penalty, right? So you yourself would be subject to charges.

That's why Bloomberg and his people should be charged and imprisoned for conspiring to commit straw purchases. (He may not have signed the papers, but he came up with the plan and mobilized the people, so Bloomberg should be charged just the same.)

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Those 27 dealers should get together and file a class action suit against the city, and Bloomberg personally.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

One would think NY taxpayers would revolt against this misuse of public funds. Sounds like the basis for some civil and or criminal actions - wasting public monies via litigation with little merit or hope of success.

Take that Mikey!!! You were elected mayor of one city, not king of the country.

VIP Member
    I have a question or two...............

What happened to the guns these clowns purchased? Did they take them across state lines, back to New York?

Where did they get their Virginia credentials to buy in the first place?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Didn't NYC run out of funds one time (bankrupt or something like that). The way they waste money buying guns back should pi** the taxpayers off. why don't they use the money to rebuild some of their slums.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    One would think NY taxpayers would revolt against this misuse of public funds.

This is the same city that cheered, for the most part, when the government there banned the use of trans-fats in restaurant cooking. (But strangely, did not require that trans-fat-containing Oreos be yanked off the shelves. . .)

The same city where they are proposing to ban the use of personal gizmos (iPods, cellular phones, Blackberrys) while people cross streets (presumably even when those people have right of way over vehicles) because some people are so dumb that they will walk right out and get flattened by a bus!

Don't ever let yourself be surprised by the limits that NYC residents will gleefully accept on their lives, put there by government.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I do sorta feel bad for those "investigators" that were hired and HOPEFULLY told they were covered. Some poor slob just trying to get paid, working for a municipality, now facing felony charges. Wonder if any of them questioned the legality of their actions?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    Those 27 dealers should get together and file a class action suit against the city, and Bloomberg personally.
    +50404. Exactly what I was thinking!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

This almost helps me put a little faith in the federal government.

Almost....but not quite.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links