LEOs harassing gun owners - Page 5

LEOs harassing gun owners

This is a discussion on LEOs harassing gun owners within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by denverd0n Yes, someone would. In all of the professional situations that I'm aware of, professionals are expected to behave in a professional ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: LEOs harassing gun owners

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
    Yes, someone would. In all of the professional situations that I'm aware of, professionals are expected to behave in a professional fashion. If they don't they stand to be fired. In fact, I have fired people for being unprofessional.

If I were their boss I would have responded immediately to that e-mail, telling them that we do NOT talk about law-abiding citizens--that we are sworn to protect and serve--in that kind of way! If the boss did not do this, and I were the boss's boss, I would reprimand him and tell him that he was going to find himself walking a beat if this sort of thing happened again. If I were the mayor of that town, and no one on the police force saw anything wrong with this comment, and it finally came out in public (as this did), I would be asking for the police chief's resignation.

Professional means professional, and if a professional cannot act in a professional manner then he needs to find a different profession! The "assclown" comment was absolutely NOT professional!
    Agreed, but this comes down to a training issue. This officer is extremely naive, or just dumb. I am willing to bet no one ever told him that everything he does on the Gov'ts clock is subject to public record. But getting fired for calling someone an assclown is a bit much. Discipline yes, firing no, unless its a established pattern. If he needs to be fired, it for misuse of the MDC.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Firing is a bit extreme I think.

A little remedial "counseling" would be in order here.

Sometimes it just takes a bit of being reminded about certain things.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    You miss my point rod13...

Popular opinoin for many years was that carry of concealed weapons would be the bane of society. The news media determines what "popular opinoin" is. Its the clear thinking folks that dont necessarily go with it. Its the ones that go against popular opinoin that gets things changes many times. Susanna Gratia Hupp sustained a major uphill battle to get things in Texas changed and much of what she originally did went against "popular opinoin" at the time.
    Didn't miss the point at all. It was because of her efforts to swing the pendulum of public opinion that got results. If a majority of citizens had not held with that view, there would have been no concealed handgun law. It was the swaying of popular opinion that led to removal of a governor who swore to veto the measure. Majority trumped minority.
    Last edited by rodc13; February 16th, 2007 at 03:01 PM.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Oh boy, I stirred it up... again. Thanks Rodc13 for reading and taking the time to understand what I'm saying.
    First, I agree they should not have to disarm, as they were following the law. All I'm saying is, these guys did this to make a stand against a goofy law. That’s OK too, but they just went about it in the wrong way. They did it making a scene.
    How were they taking a stand against a goofy law by doing what they were required to do to be legal? They didn't make a scene at all. The irrational person calling the police made a scene.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    How were they taking a stand against a goofy law by doing what they were required to do to be legal? They didn't make a scene at all. The irrational person calling the police made a scene.
    OK, I'll agree with that!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Thanks,

I have been following this debate and I commend all of you for your well thought out arguements and polite behaviour to each other.

This very kind of civil discourse is why I enjoy CombatCarry so much. I have enjoyed the opposing views and reading the reasoning behind those views.

Once again,

Thank You
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    To the defense of the LEO's, they have spent most of their lives (and careers) living in a society that sees a man with a gun, especially open carrying in a public place, as a yahoo at best, and a serious danger at worst.
    Why should they be entitled to remain willfully ignorant of the fact that the vast majority of gun owners are competent, responsible, law-abiding, nonviolent . . . ? Just because they deal with the scum of the earth on a regular basis, that doesn't mean they can't cogitate that most gun owners are good people.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO
    But getting fired for calling someone an assclown is a bit much.
    I wouldn't fire the officer. I would fire someone higher up, who should have seen to it that the officer had proper training, or at the very least should have reprimanded the officer for the comment.

I can forgive the guy at the bottom of the totem pole--though he definitely needs some very pointed "training"--but further up the line somewhere is someone who should have said or done something about this before it became public. That's the person who needs to be fired.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Open carry is legal in Kentucky, but the law notes that in larger cities you may have trouble with open carry.

I personally do not feel the need to open carry and I would expect trouble if I did. It sounds like these gentlemen were following the law as written, but I wonder if they expected trouble.

We may know the laws and feel comfortable with firearms, but the sheep are not. Is it right? NO, but Things being what they are today, people are not comfortable with firearms being displayed in public. They don't want to go to the mall with their children and see firearms strapped on. And to tell the truth I don't either. I would rather look for the one gun that shouldn't be there instead of checking them all.

Sounds like their laws need to be changed.

The LEO's were definitly in the wrong here.

IMHO.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

They had carried in the open there on several other occasions with no trouble. I have been there a few times myself and carried in the open with nothing said.

Also Manassas was and to this day even with all the upper scale houses and city( yankees) moving into the area is a crap hole. From prostitution and drugs in the old section now moving into the new areas. The police department there has always been useless. From bribery to just plain hireing of idiots.

From a kayaker
    We may know the laws and feel comfortable with firearms, but the sheep are not. Is it right? NO, but Things being what they are today, people are not comfortable with firearms being displayed in public. They don't want to go to the mall with their children and see firearms strapped on. And to tell the truth I don't either. I would rather look for the one gun that shouldn't be there instead of checking them all.

Sounds like their laws need to be changed.

And the above statement is pure is just too dang forget it before I say something that I would not take back.
    Last edited by Mos42; February 18th, 2007 at 02:45 AM.

Maybe I am wrong Miggy, but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I have to disagree with both sides on this one. Yes, by law it seems you can open-carry but was it the smart thing to do? As many advances as we had these past couple of decades reagrding carrying a weapon, John Q. Public is not yet ready to accept open carry without getting nervous. Hell, if I see a bunch of guys that do not look like LEOs coming into a restaurant I am in, I'd be doing a quick check of my gun while keeping track of their movements. Secondly, Why advertise? From a tactical standpoint I'd be giving away the element of surprise.
    As for the responding officers' emails, let us remember that while we have a fair number of LEOs in our board and a fair number of them not in our board that side with us in the issue of the 2A, there is bound to be a number of LEOs that would hate to live and serve among self-sufficient civilians that can take care of themselves.

I am re-reading the whole thing. First thing that strikes me is that Mr. Clodfelter was not aware that "company" emails can be retrieved and presented. I am guessing that the rules about language used in emails in his department is kind of lax. I know I would be in deep waste matter if I used that kind of language with my work email!
    My understanding under VA law is you don't have a choice but to open carry if you go into an establishment that serves alcohol. That is how their law reads. It is not a matter of if they want to or not.

"Hell, if I see a bunch of guys that do not look like LEOs coming into a restaurant I am in, I'd be doing a quick check of my gun while keeping track of their movements". Your quick check of your gun will be easy because it too will be hanging on your hip exposed to everyone just like these guys. They may be keeping track of your movements too.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Member Array The Sage of Seattle's Avatar
    They don't want to go to the mall with their children and see firearms strapped on. And to tell the truth I don't either. I would rather look for the one gun that shouldn't be there instead of checking them all
    I'm sorry, but this last statement doesn't make sense to me. Aren't you already "checking them all" when looking for that concealed weapon that some people lawfully carry? If I see someone with a pistol on his/her belt, then I think that's a pretty good indication of that person being armed, whereas I can't readily tell if someone is concealing a weapon. Is "out of sight, out of mind" an accurate statement a kayaker? Please, don't misunderstand, I'm not attacking you, I just am seeking clarification.

One point I also find rather odd is the concept that some CC'ers have regarding carrying and having "a tactical advantage" over a BG. My own theory regarding it is if and when I OC, I'd much rather have the potential mugger see me and my .45 and suddenly decide that he must have left the iron on at home.

After all, isn't the greatest victory in battle, the battle never fought?
    "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness."
    -Me (I think)

"A divided government means a happy constituancy!"
    -Me

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility."
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Regardless Of The Law...

I would keep it 'under cover'...

It would only appear when the situation arises for its need...

Why would I want it to be seen?

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I would keep it 'under cover'...

It would only appear when the situation arises for its need...

Why would I want it to be seen?

OMO

ret

You would conceal, in spite of the fact that it is a felony to do so in a restaurant that serves alchohol in Virginia? Big cahones.. Hell why even bother to get a concealed handgun permit?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    A right unexercised is a right lost.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links