Very disturbing

This is a discussion on Very disturbing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've watched his show for a couple of years now, and never would have thought Zumbo was the type to call for any kind of ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very disturbing

I've watched his show for a couple of years now, and never would have thought Zumbo was the type to call for any kind of ban on a particular rifle.

I happen to agree with his philosophy on keeping tradition in hunting, but keeping a tradition is a far cry from wanting to ban a particular rifle simply because you don't like the way it looks.

I have sent emails to Remington, Outdoor Life, and the Outdoor Channel, making it clear that if they do not distance themselves from Mr. Zumbo, then they will be losing me as a consumer of their products.

I may have made it sound like I was more of consumer of their products than I really am, but it added to the over-all effect of the letters.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Mr. Dumbo seems to have tunnel vision. He dosen't realize that his hunting rifle...
    You mean, his soon-to-be-labeled "Sniper Rifle"...

Methinks Mr. Zumbo has stepped in it...big time...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    No I don't believe this guy is out of touch. He is a hunter. He isn't particularly interested in self defense or even homeland defense. This is a hunter mindset. I know quite a few hunters that only own a couple handguns and they are for hunting. They own bolt and lever action rifles and usually a shotgun or two depending.

They have no real interest in the 2nd Amendment because they firmly believe that the gun grabbers are after the evil handguns and evil rifles and that is just fine with them. More than a few have commented about how there is absolutely no need for a civilian to own a military style rifle or a semi-auto handgun. After all a real hunting handgun is a revolver.

Welcome to the world of hunters.
    You got that right! I have talked to several hunters who feel the same way. I think its more a not thinking about it sorta thing instead of being anti "scary" guns.

My brother worked with a hunter who felt this way and my bro invited him out to the range. The guy shot his bolt action and griped about the evil assault guns but by the end of their second trip, the guy wanted to shoot his Kimber.

Long story short, in addition to his hunting rifles, the guy now owns two Kimbers, Two AR's and a 22 caliber 1911 conversion model to introduce his 11 year old to shooting handguns.

So there is hope. My real gripe is that a spokesman for Remington wasn't checked out by the company to make sure he doesn't say stupid things like that.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Lead Moderator
    Foot in mouth disease is much more deadly in the public limelight. Unbelievable to see such from a gun writer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I added to the Zumbo dogpile. Weird thing happened though, my response was assigned to another person and my username was assigned to one that I did not pen. I basically told him to get with the program.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

So, he got caught making a statement about something he is ignorant about (by his own admission), and tries to blame it on the conditions of the day. If I was getting paid to hunt, I don't think I'd care about the 60MPH winds except for how they effected my bullets. And now he is trying to make it all ok by going huntin with one of the rifles, probably because his sponsor's told him he had to.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Hes just another guy that was ignorant of the facts and at least he admits that much...and for that I give him credit for at least knowing that he screwed up.

There are alof of people out there that think just like him, I've discussed the same situation with others over the years.

Without really understanding, they take an opinion that seems to be popular and make it their own. Its always something...
    the shotgunners could care less about the pistol shooters, or the targer revolver guys dont like the semiautos, or the hunters dont like anyone shooting anything over 300 yards.

Sometimes they engage in a conversation without engaging their brain and people go ballistic because they dont like what the guy has to say.

Its really not that uncommon for someone that has NO experience with military clones to to speak less than fondly of them due to the negative image that they percieve due to the anti gun slant that the news media gives them. I've known several people over the years that felt the same way until they shot them and realized that they arent quite as evil as they are made out to be.

As for Zumbos' apology, retraction, change of mind or whatever you call it, at least he had the balls to admit he was wrong, and he'll be trashed and belittled in public for sometime to come, but I'll not be found quilty of trashing the mans name just because of a lapse in judgment., At times we are pretty much all quilty of saying stupid things at one time or another...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well, at least this experience might open his eyes to reality.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Man, oh, man am I shocked. I could not believe what I read. So I am a freakin' terrorist now? OMG.

Now if I can just keep Gonzalez and Dubya from throwing me into Gitmo....thanks, Jim...

If old Zumbo is as good an egg as I have thought him to be, he'll go on that hunt with the Nuge and become an A-1, Blue-Ribbon, Gold-Plated AR fan and 2A poster child.

But I'm not holding my breath.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Amazing.

Is Mr. Zumbo, and those who agree with him, completely unaware that his wood stocked hunting rifles were prior to roughly 30 years ago the standard form factor for assault weapons and used as such in every war & insurrection fought up to Vietnam...for the purpose of killing people (!), including even eghad _BOLT ACTION RIFLES_.
    Helloooo McFly, the venerable .308 Winchester for example was not developed with intent to hunt buffalo and fuzzy red meat wild game...

.308 Winchester is the commercial name for the military 7.62 × 51 mm NATO cartridge. Two years prior to the NATO adoption of the 7.62 × 51 mm NATO T65 in 1954, Winchester (a subsidiary of the Olin Corporation) branded the cartridge and introduced it to the commercial hunting market as the .308 Winchester. Winchester's Model 70 and Model 88 rifles were subsequently chambered for the new cartridge. Since then, the .308 Winchester has become one of the most popular hunting cartridges available. It is also commonly used for civilian target matches and police sharpshooting. The relatively short case makes the .308 Winchester especially well adapted for short action rifles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester
    NATO's 7.62x51mm rifle cartridge, commercially known as .308 Winchester, was introduced in the 1950s as a standard firearm cartridge among NATO countries, though it has also become popular among civilians. The round is produced by many manufacturers in types that include tracers and blanks....The cartridge was introduced to military service in rifles and machine guns. It was used in the M14 Rifle and M60 Machine gun in U.S. service in the late 1950s. Fabrique Nationale's FAL became the most popular 7.62 NATO rifle in Europe and served into the early 1980s. The M14 was superseded in U.S. service as the infantry adopted a new round with the M16. However, the M14 and many other firearms that use the round remain in service. The round is used by infantry and from ground vehicles, aircraft and ships. It is used in the GE M134 Minigun as well...The development work that would eventually develop into the 7.62x51mm started just after World War I, when it became clear that the long cartridge of the U.S. standard .30-06 round made it difficult to use in semi- and fully automatic weapons (the .30-06 was in turn derived from an earlier .30-03 cartridge), and had more case capacity than was needed. A "shorter" round would allow the firing mechanism to be made much smaller, and improve the feeding, both of which would allow for higher rates of fire. At the time one of the most promising designs was the .276 Pedersen, but in 1932 it was rejected with an Army recommendation that only rounds of .30 inch (7.62 mm) would meet requirements....
    Winchester saw the market for a civilian model of the T65 [7.62.51 NATO] round in 1952, which to this day remains popular as the .308 Winchester game round. The cartridge is very popular with American sportsmen both for long-range target shooting and hunting big game up to the size of elk or moose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62_%C3%97_51_mm_NATO
    As well considerinig his profession Mr. Zumbo should be aware of the well known and documented fact that hunting is very much on the wain at it's lowest recorded levels of participation in American history.
    Who the hell cares if folks are taking to hunting with their tacti-cool seeming longarms in had be it an AR, AK, PS90, or whatever else. As long as new to firearms folks are embracing the sport and picking up on the tradition and for a great many people in America need to hunt toward havign fun _and _ feeding their family then there is nothing but good from this.

Lastly as noted by others in this thread he's a fool if he thinks his hunting guns won't be classified next by antis and the uninifmed as being a "assault weapon".
    How many people in this forum think that Hillary Clinton or Sarah Brady can differentiate between these wood stocked rifles as depicted and their as applied uses?

M1 Garand - Antique collectors item

M1 Garand - Target & sporting rifle

('M1 for Vets Project Brings Veterans to Camp Perry' - http://www.odcmp.org/0906/default.asp?page=TEAM_WRAMC)

M1 Garand - Property defense weapon

M1 Garand - Hunting rifle

M1 Garand - Assault Weapon

As per Mr. Zumbo's assault weapon logic this too should be banned and distanced from by us all. I wonder what his father or grandfather might have to say about that...

Complete and utter ignorance.

Oh and BTW I do not own a rifle (yet) nor hunt but I am scheduled to begin a Basic Hunter Ed. course tomorrow night and look forward to purchasing a rifle soon be it an AR or a Springer M1A in black fiberglass furniture (because I don't really care for wood), assuming of course I'm not too late and they don't ban all scary looking rifles because they might possibly could or have been used to assault someone.

- Janq

"Guns don't kill people, people do." - A completely cliche and ten ring accurate saying, that I suppose Mr. Zumbo has forgotten
    Last edited by Janq; February 19th, 2007 at 03:26 AM.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    He should stop talking...

"I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance"

...and yet

"How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them."

As though the AR came around a year or two ago and is obscure like say an FNH PS90, an assault rifle which people are also known to hunt with.
    Now he's thrown the USSA under the bus along with him as who else do they have on their board and are they as clueless as him?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    He should stop talking...

"I'm an advisory board member for the United States Sportsmen's Alliance"

...and yet

"How is it that Zumbo, who has been hunting for more than 50 years, is totally ignorant about these types of guns. I don't know. I shot one once at a target last year, and thought it was cool, but I never considered using one for hunting. I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them."

As though the AR came around a year or two ago and is obscure like say an FNH PS90, an assault rifle which people are also known to hunt with.
    Now he's thrown the USSA under the bus along with him as who else do they have on their board and are they as clueless as him?

- Janq

Hes trying to back step. I can't believe he would say something like that. I'm still shocked.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

VIP Member
    Letters sent to all involved.
    He owes a huge apology to all current and past service members and anyone that owns an AR, AK, or any other rifle he disagrees with.
    I've been hunting since I was 5 years old. This whole time I've also been target shooting and a firm supporter of the 2A.
    The AK I got awhile back is great for hog and coyote hunting.
    When I go deer hunting this fall, I'm going to make sure I tag one with my AK. I'll be sure to send pictures to him.

I have an AK, but I'm not a terrorist, I'm an Infidel and have the shirt to prove it.
    Last edited by 64zebra; February 19th, 2007 at 12:20 AM.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I've been keeping track of the Zumbo blog all afternoon and although I am still in shock at the sheer ignorance and stupidity of this guy, there is something that cheered me up: We The Shooters.
    With the exception of the usual trashmouth and conspiracy theorist, I'd say 95% of the replies were heartfel, well written and passionate demonstrating to the world that they picked the wrong bunch to mess with in this issue.
    Sometimes I feel like I am alone in the fight for the 2A but today I found out that there are many that, like me, feel passionate and believe in the Constitution.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links