Very disturbing

This is a discussion on Very disturbing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I didn't get to read the original post online but I was able to dig up a copy from google's cache. I disagree with him ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Very disturbing

I didn't get to read the original post online but I was able to dig up a copy from google's cache.

I disagree with him but I think it is unfortunate that his blog was taken down because of his opinion -- albeit misinformed.

Anyway -- for anyone just catching up on this thread, here is the blog posting in question:

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    wow, that didn't take very long, on the part of either Remington or Outdoor Life. I'm kinda sad to see the man grenade himself like that, but he seriously should have known better than to post that.

And GJ Remington for dropping him so quickly. He has no business getting their sponsorship if his views are that incompatible.

What a big load of crap!
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I'd say he had better look for a new industry to work in.

It looks like Outdoor Life just wants the whole thing to go away. They've taken down Zumbo's blog "for the time being" because of the "controversy". I think they just don't want hundreds of negative comments about OL and their sponsors being so visible. They've yet to come out with a definitive statement on the issue, other than a "We support the 2nd Amendment . . . " in small print. What's already starting to occur are comments being added to the other columnists' blogs, since the Zumbo blog is gone. Until OL steps up, one way or the other, they're going to be stuck being a one-issue publication.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Senior Moderator
    Zumbo definitely jumped the shark on that one.

I suspect that the advertisers and sponsors got bombarded by email over the "terrorist" rifle comment.

Glad I don't answer the general email for Remington or OL.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys there is no question zumbo screwed up , and as far as i am concerned he has to do more than a hunt with the nuge to make up for it . He can never repair the damage he did with that blog post, but he can learn , and post that , I agree with remmington, and to a degree out door life for thier actions . Personaly i think after a bit of expermentation with some of the " terrorist " rifles he mentioned in his blog , well he may well discover he likes them . After all he is a " hunting " writer who only ownes about 4 guns . Lets not haul him to the gallows too early . IMHO he not only owes an apology , but action. That being said persicution to the point he is silenced is not in his best intrest nor ours . Lets wait , and see what comes from this .. after all Brady et all cant use his blog if it fires back up and shows him hunting with the evil rifles he mentions . ( maby he can get new sponsers from magpul , ect... lol )
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

All I can say is that the manner in which Mr. Zumbo attacked leaves no question in my mind his stance. His attempt at an apology speaks volumes to his character and I for one will not support any company that has a relationship with him. To attempt to make this only about the AR15 is to grossly ignore all of his statements that were far above and beyond acceptable!!!
    My world is the only one that counts

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Lets not haul him to the gallows too early . IMHO he not only owes an apology , but action. That being said persicution to the point he is silenced is not in his best intrest nor ours . Lets wait , and see what comes from this .. after all Brady et all cant use his blog if it fires back up and shows him hunting with the evil rifles he mentions . ( maby he can get new sponsers from magpul , ect... lol )

AGREED!!!! He needs to go on a hunt with the Nuge using AR-15s and make sure its televised on the outdoor/hunting shows; He should also get logon accounts to this website, ar-15.com and others and have discussions with all us terrorists so he can get a true grasp on why we are all outraged. Maybe then he'll see his hi-powered sniper rifle is in just as much danger as my AK (and the ammo they use)

I think its a good time to go get the red dot and vertical foregrip for my AK I've been wanting :)
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    AGREED!!!! He needs to go on a hunt with the Nuge using AR-15s and make sure its televised on the outdoor/hunting shows; He should also get logon accounts to this website, ar-15.com and others and have discussions with all us terrorists so he can get a true grasp on why we are all outraged. Maybe then he'll see his hi-powered sniper rifle is in just as much danger as my AK (and the ammo they use)

I think its a good time to go get the red dot and vertical foregrip for my AK I've been wanting :)
    I don't know... think he might go postal?

Just checked the site to see the latest entries....OL took the page DOWN!! (http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/)

Hunting With Jim Zumbo
    Statement from Outdoor Life
    Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo’s recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the “Hunting With Zumbo” blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to OLletters@time4.com.

When I went back to the home website to look at the other blogs...they took Zumbo's blog out of existance...like he was never there.

WOW....must suck to be him.

J Please direct any comments you have to OLletters@time4.com.
    I don't know what is going on at Outdoor life. When I send an email, it automatically asks for a return receipt so that I know that people actually get the messages I send. Well, the email I sent to Outdoor Life on Sunday was "deleated without being read".

Obviously they are getting bombarded by emails, but I think that is a pretty classless thing to do on their part. The title of my email was "Mr. Zumbo's comments"... it didn't imply positive or negetive, so I don't know why they wouldn't even bother to open it up, just to see which column to add it to.

They will be getting another email from me now regarding this....
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Outdoor Life and Field and Stream Magazines=Trash

Both these magazines have printed many anti-gun articles in the past 25 years. These two magazines, more than any others, are the originators of the "hunters " versus "assault rifle owners" trash.

Senior Moderator
    Henceforth, the catastrophic failure of a firearm is no longer to be referred to as a "kaboom". The term "Zumbo" will substitute. ex:

"My rifle Zumboed at the range, I think it was ammo related".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Henceforth, the catastrophic failure of a firearm is no longer to be referred to as a "kaboom". The term "Zumbo" will substitute. ex:

"My rifle Zumboed at the range, I think it was ammo related".

Matt

ROTFLMAO! I think it will stick!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links