Very disturbing - Page 5

Very disturbing

This is a discussion on Very disturbing within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by MattLarson Henceforth, the catastrophic failure of a firearm is no longer to be referred to as a "kaboom". The term "Zumbo" will ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Very disturbing

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Henceforth, the catastrophic failure of a firearm is no longer to be referred to as a "kaboom". The term "Zumbo" will substitute. ex:

"My rifle Zumboed at the range, I think it was ammo related".

Matt

term can also be used when referring to missing a target when shooting: "wow, I really Zumboed that one"
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Henceforth, the catastrophic failure of a firearm is no longer to be referred to as a "kaboom". The term "Zumbo" will substitute. ex:

"My rifle Zumboed at the range, I think it was ammo related".

Matt
    Something like this?

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

High-speed internet connection: $50

Industry-sponsored hunting trips (1 year): $50,000

Endorsement from Remington (incl ammo, rifles): $85,000

Online rant about evil black "assault" rifles, feeding the anti-gun coalition, and becoming a pariah among firearm owners: PRICELESS

It gets worse for him. He's now been dumped by another one of his sponsors, Hi Mountain Jerky & Seasonings. Link to message here: http://www.himtnjerky.com/ .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

It really makes me glad to know that the 2nd amendment community (including businesses) really stepped up and put a stop to this guys utter nonsense.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I sent a thank you to himtnjerky and Remington thanking them for cutting ties with Zumbo....I figured they got enough hate mail, a thank you note would suffice.

removed

hmmm the blog seems to have been removed.
    Alex G.
    S&W M&P .45
    Virginia Beach, Va.
    Senior Chief Petty Officer, RETIRED, USN
    Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Range Officer

I feel sorry for Zumbo (don't flame me until you read the rest). I feel sorry for him in that everyone, including me, has stuck his foot in his mouth or otherwise made a stupid judgement call during his life.

That is the extent to which I feel sorry for him.

I do not, however, feel one bit sorry for him having to take the heat he generated because what he did shows a certain psychology often exhibited by the arrogant.

Zumbo knows nothing about AR-15s, which he a admits. He also had no idea when he wrote the blog that so many of us do use them to hunt, which he also admits. He also uses as an excuse that he was "tired" when he wrote the article.

Can you see how that stacks up? I can see this taking place in his mind: "I'm not in a good mood, and so although I have no idea about what I'm saying, I'll just throw an incindiary blog out there and dare anyone to get in my face about it because, after all, I can do that because I'm Jim Zumbo." I've known folks like that throughout my life, and I can sum them up with one description - "ignorant arrogance." Some famous person, perhaps one of the Founding Fathers - Franklin maybe? - once said (loose paraphrase), "There's nothing as aggravating as an ignorant person arrogantly expressing a grievance." Yep, that would fit this case to a T.

Did he expect a backlash like he got? He says, "No," and I say, "BS!!!" As a long-time writer and player in the outdoor-media game, he knew full-well that he'd get a massive backlash. He just thought he had the gas to take on all comers! But you know what, he didn't, and when he realized that he'd overassumed his own power, it took him to the floor, as is evidenced by the kneeling posture of his later apology.

If there is a silver lining to all this, perhaps it will humble Mr. Zumbo and maybe even result in turning him into one of the strongest Second-Amendment advocates around. I've seen others thoroughly PO the right-thinking among Americans and then go on to redeem themselves. Smith & Wesson is an example. Things sometimes have a strange way of working out like that. I suppose time will tell.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Here's something else that just occurred to me - He probably intended to create controversy to generate traffic on his blog and therefore revenue to Outdoor Life.

I'm in the outdoor industry and am familiar with its media and other workings as I'm sure many other folks here are. We know sponsors may actually want someone who can generate traffic or increase readership, whether happy or angry, and there’s a reason for that – it boosts profits.

But Zumbo failed to realize a critical distinction: it only increases profits for the sponsor when it’s a matter of legitimate debate that is conducted within the family. Internal squabbles happen in every family, and they can get nasty. But by gosh, don't let someone outside the family attack a family member unless he expects the whole family to line up against him. A certain Charlie Daniel's song comes to mind. I think it's "In America". What was the lyric? "Just go and lay your hand on a Pittsburg Steelers fan, and I think you're gonna finally understand?"

Using such tactics to create or fan debate among right-thinking Americans (a/k/a 2nd Amendment Understanders - some folks call them 2nd Amendment Advocates), is one thing. An example is the argument between those of us who are for the use of crossbows for deer hunting versus those who are against. Those arguments get heated, but regardless they remain family arguments. What Zumbo did, though, was to side with the enemy of the entire family, and that’s hard to pardon in any family – especially us.

His stance was ignorant in two ways. First, he failed to recognize the foregoing distinction, despite decades in the industry. Second, he even didn’t know what he was talking about is wrong. His decision to voice it was arrogant in two ways: First, he thought he had the personal power to pull it off anyway. Second, he surely realized, and therefore just didn’t care, that his post would be seen by the antis as a rift in the 2nd Amendment family, and used as such to the detriment of all, wasn’t even on his radar.

Am darned glad to see that the rest of the family stood up together to address this violation of family loyalty. I think we’ll have need to do that quite a bit more often during the coming years.

Best,
    Jon
    Last edited by BigJon; February 23rd, 2007 at 02:06 PM.
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Freedom of speech comes wikth responsibility, he could done it with much more class, I agree he wanted to stir the pot, instead he got flushed down the toliet.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links