15 year old shot at hospital

This is a discussion on 15 year old shot at hospital within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Between my two daily read newspapers that pertain to Ohio, there are probably 8-10 shootings in them I could comment on since a couple had ...

Thread: 15 year old shot at hospital

Between my two daily read newspapers that pertain to Ohio, there are probably 8-10 shootings in them I could comment on since a couple had underage shooters, drugs involved, or any other number of things. This one is probably worth sharing though.

http://www.dispatch.com/news-story.php?story=247632

MANSFIELD, Ohio A 14-year-old boy chased down a 15-year-old boy and shot him in the face at the entrance to a hospital's emergency room, where the victim immediately sought treatment, authorities said today.

The suspect was tackled by a hospital security guard and placed in handcuffs as he tried to follow the victim inside, said Cindy Jakubick, a spokeswoman for MedCentral/Mansfield Hospital.

The victim was treated at the hospital and then flown by helicopter to Columbus Children's Hospital, where he was in critical condition last night, Jakubick said.

Police did not have an updated condition on the boy early today. A nursing supervisor in Columbus said she couldn't release information without the boy's name, which wasn't disclosed by police.

The suspect, whose name wasn't released, was being held in a Richland County juvenile detention facility, Mansfield police Sgt. Ken Coontz said. Charges likely won't be filed until Tuesday because of the today's Presidents Day holiday, he said.

Jakubick said a hospital employee heard several teenage boys arguing near the street, and the altercation then moved toward the hospital in this city about 60 miles northeast of Columbus.

The 15-year-old boy apparently punched the 14-year-old in the face and tried to flee, then was shot once in the right cheek by a .22-caliber semiautomatic handgun, Coontz said.

The shooting happened about 5:40 p.m. between the two sets of double-doors that people pass through to enter the hospital, Coontz said. The doors operate on motion sensors located over the doorways, he said.

No one was hurt at the hospital, where people waiting in the lobby may have witnessed the shooting, Coontz said.

Patients arriving for treatment after the shooting came inside through the ambulance entrance, Jakubick said.

Police questioned the other juveniles involved in the dispute, and it wasn't yet clear why the group was in the area, Coontz said.

At the request of hospital staff, officers were stationed in the parking lot when workers went home last night, he said.

"Even though the suspect was arrested, there was some anxiety over the incident," he said.
    Hospitals aren't automatic CPZ in Ohio, but all of Medcentral's locations are. Guess someone forgot to tell the 14 year old that, and it is illegal for him to posess a handgun since he is only 14. Good job on the security guards part though, since he was probably unarmed too. What is up with kids in Ohio these days anyway, I read more and more crap like this all the time.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Whats wrong in Ohio? Ohio still encourages its degenerates to breed.
    Ohio is still soft on criminals, in particular Juvs.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, I'll give ya that one SIXTO, but back when I was 14 or 15 (and extremely naive about the world), this sort of stuff never seemed to happen. Didn't happen to me, or my friends, or anyone in my school. Ohio does need to work more on punishing criminals.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The Real Crap...

is how they will probably punish the shooter...two weeks house confinement and a $10 fine...Oh...and two more anti-gun bills...

Liberals...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

They need to treat some teenagers as adults especialy for a violent crime. Too many are repeat offenders.

Assistant Administrator
    I cringe when I hear reports like this - and do wonder what is going on with young folks.

It is both sad as well as scary, that youngsters have (seemingly) not only the mindset to do these deeds but also have managed to get a gun.

While I always feel very much for the victim, the harder side of me wants to see not only severe punishment for the perp', but also as ever, I have concerns over media reaction to such things - only strengthening ever more the anti's case, as they see it.

Yes - more laws and bans will solve all problems
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hmmm......if everbody and God sees a 14 yr old shoot a 15 yr old...the 14 yr old isn't a "suspect"...he's a freakin' criminal. And I bet they send him to juvie for his advanced training in being a thug.

I work at a school and it just gets worse every year!!! Steve48

my question is, where did the 14 year old get the freaking gun?
    What's this button do?

VIP Member
    ...it's Britney Spear's fault.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

I'd like to know where he got the gun too. Every time I leave the house, any gun that is not locked up, is with me, but I still check each time I get home...

why?

because I have a 14 year old who is home alone at times.

I wonder if the parents enabled this kid.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Links