After effects of notorious Zumbo blog

This is a discussion on After effects of notorious Zumbo blog within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the link: http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_102081.asp Excerpt: "The Blog Heard 'Round The Industry Jim Zumbo angers firearm enthusiasts" "Legendary hunting writer Jim Zumbo has incurred the wrath ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After effects of notorious Zumbo blog

Thumbs down After effects of notorious Zumbo blog

Here's the link: http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_102081.asp

Excerpt:
    "The Blog Heard 'Round The Industry
    Jim Zumbo angers firearm enthusiasts"

"Legendary hunting writer Jim Zumbo has incurred the wrath of thousands of shooting enthusiasts with a weekend posting on his now-suspended blog for Outdoor Life magazine. "
    "Zumbo's ill-considered blog may not have been intended to create good-gun, bad-gun categories, but it has certainly raised firebrand rhetoric to an art form. Rather than hunters being supported by recreational and competitive shooting enthusiasts, they have now become "Fudds" to shooters who feel they have been labeled "terrorists" by a "hard-core hunter." "

"It's truly not a pretty picture, but may observers say it accurately reflects a widening gap between "traditional" and "non-traditional" shooting enthusiasts. "

"With Congress reconsidering the Assault Weapon Ban and Connecticut and New Jersey considering legislation that would limit handgun purchases to one per month, this latest schism is already being used as further evidence of the "need" to regulate firearms -all firearms - more stringently."

<break> <break>
    Second article:

Caution: from Chicago (where there aren't any guns)

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/n...ORS_S1.article

"Lake County Outdoors Assault or hunting rifles? You decide"
    "THERE IS A bit of a rift going on in the outdoor sporting world between hunters and gun enthusiasts, which sometimes are one in the same."

"The raucousness started when longtime outdoors writer Jim Zumbo of Outdoor Life magazine posted a story online that said assault rifles -- he also called them terrorist rifles -- had no place in the hunting community, even suggesting that game departments ban them from the prairies and woods."

"Assault rifle enthusiasts were quick to call for boycotts of products associated with Zumbo, according to The Shooting Wire, which included Remington. Zumbo, a National Rifle Association member for 40 years, quickly found his sponsors bailing."

"I remember one time hunting a piece of land near Richmond and some young guys from Chicago came out as my brothers and I were leaving. One of them had an unusual gun for hunting, a sawed off shotgun. We thought that was stupid, but the Second Amendment doesn't make any distinctions, right?"

"The AR rifles are accurate weapons and could easily be used for hunting big game like deer, but I'm sure gun manufacturers would suggest a better weapon."

(read the entire article...)

I hate Chicago...and IL (and I'm FROM there!)

For your review...
    Last edited by SIGguy229; February 22nd, 2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Added 2d article

2. Remove Ads

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Here's another "outdoor" writer defending Zumbo:

http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    Here's another "outdoor" writer defending Zumbo:

http://outdoorswithothmarvohringer.blogspot.com/
    It appears to me that this writer is supporting Zumbo the person, and not Zumbo's comments per se.

I don't doubt that these two gentlemen know each other, have hunted together, and would consider themselves friends. Now, if one of my friends said something as stupid as Zumbo said, I might respond in exactly the same way. Damage control of sorts. I would most likely want to keep my friend and attempt to educate him towards a more rational point of view, rather than joining up with all of us who are ready for a lynching.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I did a bit of research and it appears that Mr. Zumbo ain't all that bad. He had a case of diarrhea of the mouth, realized it, apologized for it, and is working to clear his name. The media spin has managed to overlook everything that happened after the infamous post.

http://www.huntingsense.com/the-jim-zumbo-controversy/

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    I did a bit of research and it appears that Mr. Zumbo ain't all that bad. He had a case of diarrhea of the mouth, realized it, apologized for it, and is working to clear his name. The media spin has managed to overlook everything that happened after the infamous post.

http://www.huntingsense.com/the-jim-zumbo-controversy/
    A quetion from this blog, "Does being well known mean that mistakes are less tolerable than if they’re made by a semi-nobody like myself or many other sportsmen out there?"

and to answer that question, Yes it does make it less tolerable. I public figure must, at all times, realize that he is a public figure for a reason. If you become a public figure for sportsmen, then you had better be sure you represent the best interests of those sportsmen in everything you say and do, or those people that helped build you up to be a public figure, may just decide to find a different person to represent them.

Do Zumbo's comments make him a "bad" person? No, not at all, but I would rather not see him represent my interests in gun ownership issues.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

check out the Nuge board http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/F...ML/286904.html He still is supporting him for now, and his reply well you judge.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Mr. Zumbo lit the wrong fuse. He may be a nice person and a good guy to hunt with but he seems to have tunnel vision and can not see past his own agenda. He fails to see that the same people who are trying to ban our guns are the same people that want to ban their automatic shotguns and rifles. They also want to ban hunting. If the gun groups could get togeather they would be a strong force that could put the antis in their place. Mr. Jumbos article did just the opposite. He was supplying the very people who want to ban our sports with ammunition.

He had me feeling sorry for him right up until he wrote, "And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges."

I don't feel as if I have stripped him of anything. He did it to himself with his own words. Unfortunetly, he sounds just like my 14 year old as he is trying to blame other people for the consequenses of his mistake.

I am not sorry he lost his job. If he truely fulfills his promise to re-educate himself and others that held/hold his view, then I will give him major kudos. Until then, his words have done harm to what I believe. I can forgive the man, but I can not forget his words and the damage they have caused.

His apologies ring just as true as Tim Hardaway's, Michael Richard's and Mel Gibson's. At the bottom line, it seems he still doesn't get the real reason people were upset.

The effects of this debacle will live for quite a while, but I hope that it will lead to more understanding of the real issues at the core of it all. If nothing else, the concept of "It ain't about huntin'!"

We're a very disparate group here at CombatCarry. Lots of different views on lots of different topics. One of the great things, though, compared to a lot of other online forums, is that, for the most part, arguments are considered and reasonable. And on the whole, discourse is carried on with respect.

I appreciate very much Bumper, for creating and maintaining it, all the great administrators and moderators, for keeping a watchful, but not heavy-handed, handle on things, and for all the great contributors who continue to make this such a valuable and enjoyable resource.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Here is Outdoor Life's reply! The sent Jimbo Packing!

http://www.outdoorlife.com

tim

He somewhat had me feeling like he wanted to make up for his blathering in his apology on the Nuge's site until I got to this line.

"I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes."

Last time I checked, the 2nd Amendment wasn't about hunting. Good grief.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    He somewhat had me feeling like he wanted to make up for his blathering in his apology on the Nuge's site until I got to this line.

"I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes."

Last time I checked, the 2nd Amendment wasn't about hunting. Good grief.
    Well, to be fair, Zumbo didn't call for black rifles to be banned entirely. He just said that the use of ARs for hunting should be banned. The 2A protects our right to keep and bear arms, there's no 2A right to shoot wildlife with any kind of rifle we want. I think it would be bad policy (and a pretty stupid idea) to ban the use of ARs for hunting, but it wouldn't be a violation of the 2nd Amendment to prohibit using that rifle for hunting purposes.

The thing that really rubbed me the wrong way about his apology was where he said, "I had absolutely no idea how vast the numbers of folks are who use them." What does that have to do with it? Since when did popularity make something right or unpopularity make it wrong? The very foundation of this country is the right of people to do unpopular things, whether it be practicing a minority religion, speaking out against the government, or owning firearms in a state where that makes you a pariah. Even if only one person in the country wanted to use their AR for hunting, it would be wrong to prevent them from doing so.

Angry

The various state game folks have always limited what can be used for hunting game animals, but generally anything goes for varmints and non-game predators. These regulations often include minimum caliber allowed and maximum magazine size. Some states even require flintlock only for the blackpowder deer season. These regulations are not anti-gun’, but simply to allow the harvest of game to meet the best possible management goals.

I know of many people who hunt with guns that would be called ‘assault rifles’ by the loonies. They comply with the hunting regulations by using a gun of legal caliber and often buy special limited capacity magazines. Lots of folks find that the AR and clones make dandy coyote rifles. These people are all hunters, so saying that certain guns have no legitimate use for hunting is obviously untrue. Any person making their living writing for a national hunting magazine would know this.

Zumbo either is a complete horse’s backend, or he has some sort of agenda. Or is it both?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    his view of what is acceptable for hunting/private ownership showed his true feelings. Unfortunately many hunters feel this way, and do not care about self defense or the 2nd Ammend. rights.
    I for one hope this heightens awareness of what is really at stake with our 2nd Ammend rights. Zumbo put his foot in his mouth and found out how many of us are more than traditional hunters only. Hopefully this will be a warning to the anti gun crowd, too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links