NC: Ammo permit measure weighed

This is a discussion on NC: Ammo permit measure weighed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/547616.html Ammo permit measure weighed Matt Dees, Staff Writer DURHAM - Gun owners looking to reload would have to show a permit every time they ...

Thread: NC: Ammo permit measure weighed

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

NC: Ammo permit measure weighed

http://www.newsobserver.com/102/story/547616.html

Ammo permit measure weighed

Matt Dees, Staff Writer
    DURHAM - Gun owners looking to reload would have to show a permit every time they buy ammunition, if a bill backed by Durham officials gains state approval.
    The proposal championed by the Rev. Melvin Whitley, a local community activist, will face opposition from gun-rights groups.

Whitley told state lawmakers and Durham City Council members Monday that anyone over 18 can buy ammunition without being subject to any background check. That means felons, who aren't allowed to own guns or ammo, can buy bullets unfettered.

Requiring a permit to buy bullets, just as the state does for firearms, is a "no-brainer," he said.

"It's a wonder we have not identified this loophole in the past," Whitley told council members.

But Paul Valone, president of Grass Roots North Carolina, a gun-rights lobbying group, called the idea "ludicrous."

Felons with the means and determination to obtain a gun illegally wouldn't have any trouble finding a way around the bullet-permit law, Valone said.

"The only people this would restrict is law-abiding gun owners," Valone said.

"We will be happy to defeat this bill and any legislator who supports it."

Rep. Mickey Michaux, a Durham Democrat, expects such stiff opposition. The bill hasn't been introduced, but Michaux said it would be soon in one or both chambers of the General Assembly.

Michaux supports the idea.

But he said the bill has "about the same chance as getting a ban on handguns in this state. We've been outnumbered over the years by the strong arm of the [National Rifle Association]."

Illinois has a similar law, enacted in 1968. It requires people to apply for a Firearm Owner's Identification Card that must be displayed when buying a firearm or ammunition.

It costs $5 and is valid for five years.

There are about 1.2 million card holders in the state, according to the Illinois State Police Web site.

Even supporters have questions about logistics.

Ron Hodge, deputy chief of the Durham Police Department, said it wouldn't be hard to issue a bullet card with a handgun permit. The trouble would come with people who already have obtained their handgun permit having to go through another permitting process, Hodge said.

That would be cumbersome for the agency distributing the permits -- likely county sheriffs -- and for legal gun owners, he said.

Whitley said any inconveniences are trumped by the need to add another hurdle in the path of violent criminals.

"It's the bullets that are hurting us," he said.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    I am gonna open an ammo outlet here in Virginia, just north of the NC border. Anyone wanna partner?
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Well, gosh, if this were to pass, I would have to pay another fee to the state government. If I didn't, it would be just as hard for me to buy my ammo as it is to buy illegal drugs, hire illegal immigrants, or buy an untaxed distilled product.

Sorry I don't live in Durham so I could vote this jerk out of office!!!!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Durham is a cesspool of gang crime and crime in general. I wouldn't necessarily mind paying 5 bucks for a 5 year permit, though I think that in general, this is a lame attempt to curb the crime there.

Some quotes for ya...

Quote Originally Posted by Wikpedia
    The Townshend Acts are the mainly used name for two Acts of the Parliament of Great Britain passed in 1767 having been proposed by Charles Townsend, Chancellor of the Exchequer, just before his death. These laws placed a tax on common products imported into the American Colonies, such as lead, paper, paint, glass, and tea.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Well, I'd at least hit them in the tourism wallet! I don't travel anywhere where my rights are so obviously infringed. My regular vacations to NC would effectively cease (i usually go a couple times a year depending on my work schedule). Might be a worthwhile argument for them. Make sure they realize that they have the potential to lose potentially thousands of regular tourists from states like VA.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Well, I'd at least hit them in the tourism wallet! I don't travel anywhere where my rights are so obviously infringed. My regular vacations to NC would effectively cease (i usually go a couple times a year depending on my work schedule). Might be a worthwhile argument for them. Make sure they realize that they have the potential to lose potentially thousands of regular tourists from states like VA.
    This might seriously jeopardize my yearly vacation to White Lake and Wilmington, of course I'd still have to drive THRU NC to get to my alternate destination.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I wonder if there's a similar bill to help prevent convicted DUI persons from buying gas ?
    Anyone make a IWB holster for my AR ??

Quote Originally Posted by speedlinehobbies View Post
    I wonder if there's a similar bill to help prevent convicted DUI persons from buying gas ?
    ...or alcohol...(didn't we try prohibiting the manufacture/sale/possession of alcohol at one point?? How did that turn out?)

Perhaps they should spend the time and money being ineffectively used for this and reroute it to cleaning up Durham's inner city. Oh wait, nevermind, thats racist of me to say.

...or they could just lock every civilian in a cage and visit them 3 times a day for meals.
    What's this button do?

Links