Bonner Springs (KS) proposal to ban concealed carry on public property

Bonner Springs (KS) proposal to ban concealed carry on public property

This is a discussion on Bonner Springs (KS) proposal to ban concealed carry on public property within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is a story about an effort by Bonner Springs KS city council to ban concealed carry from city property. I sent the editor an ...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Post Bonner Springs (KS) proposal to ban concealed carry on public property

Here is a story about an effort by Bonner Springs KS city council to ban concealed carry from city property.

I sent the editor an email in response. (There is no public comment area that I could find.)

My email was this:

Editor:

I read the story cited in the subject line of this email on your website.

The following passage struck me as ironic:

["I would certainly share the opinion that the Kansas Association of Chiefs have," Haley said. "They're lobbying against that particular passage," which forbids cities from regulating concealed handgun possession.
    The police chiefs union, Haley said, believes "that to limit the cities' authority to define areas where carry-conceal is prohibited would certainly limit cities' authority to provide to provide safe places for citizens.]

The irony occurs in that banning the licensed carry of handguns by honest citizens does not "provide safe places for citizens." It is absurd to believe that it does.

All it takes for that to fail is for someone, some violent criminal, to bring a gun to such a location in defiance of the law and start killing people who are unarmed and can't defend themselves.

Banning gun carry by good people provides safe places for CRIMINALS.

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    This same crap is going on in every Kansas city that has over 25 people living there. Some have passed ordinances that come close to banning everything everywhere in the city limits. Others have just added parks and such. Some have copied the state statute and left everything else alone. When HB 2528 is passed, I am going to my city building and ask them if they will let me burn their stupid ordinance because theirs ain't worth the paper it is scribbled on. Stupid people
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Not quite every town. Salina hasn't (yet).
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

Assistant Administrator
    This is what yanks my chain about some state's carry.

On the one hand they claim 'shall issue', or like KS have just brought it in - and then - wow - let's see what we can put off-limits!!!! Talk about give out with one hand and smack in the face and take away with the other

When oh when will crazy ordinance purveyors and legislators get it thru their thick heads - it is NOT we, the background checked legitimate few, who deserve such treatment but the criminals who need dealt with, by any means available.

It makes a mockery of the right to carry - and in some cases all but removes any chance to excercise that right much at all.

Crazy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    KS Legislature is working to put the words that would have superseded local gun ordinances back into the shall-issue law.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Like I have said before, there is a statue in place now. It says cities and counties cannot pass ordinances against CCH. It was adopted when the new CCH laws were written in june or july. If they don't want us to carry anywhere such as parks or places not designated by the state, then they have to post signs. Any ordinances by cites are no good.

Just got a message from Patricia S. Says the meeting only went 30 min and that for all purposes, the league of municipalities, the idiots that got this started, got beat into the dirt. Vote will take place monday the 5th of march, and then on to the full house on the 6th or 7th of march. She said one of the politicians was upset because it affected her also, because she carried. I take back what I say about all politicians. some are ok. sometimes. once in a while.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Yeah...but regardless of whether the city/county/town has a sign posted...it shouldn't matter...because city property IS NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY.....

Call me naive--but, if it is public property, and the state has a pre-emption law, doesn't it belong to you and me (don't get me started on the Federal Public Lands/Nat'l Park issue) and the posted signs are illegal?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Yeah...but regardless of whether the city/county/town has a sign posted...it shouldn't matter...because city property IS NOT PRIVATE PROPERTY.....

Call me naive--but, if it is public property, and the state has a pre-emption law, doesn't it belong to you and me (don't get me started on the Federal Public Lands/Nat'l Park issue) and the posted signs are illegal?
    yes, we had a pre-emption. Yes, city property belongs to you and me. However, it was written very weakly initially, and the league of municapalities had sharper lawyers than the ones that wrote the bill. They told the cities that the "owner may post their property" part of the law also applied to cities. They perverted the property owner part to make it look like the cities owned what we really own. The one that is going thru the system right now is solid, no games allowed. This one will pass and then they will have to use all the illegal ordinances to wrap fish. Then we can start knocking a little bit off every now and then.

Lets hope the Governor will sign this bill so she won't get overidden again. Steve48

hmmm...if the politicians believe city property is private property to post "no carry" signs....maybe you should make a point and tell them you won't pay any city taxes, fines, utilities (if city owned).....

Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    Lets hope the Governor will sign this bill so she won't get overidden again. Steve48
    It would be nice if her highness would just sign it, but if she veto's it, and then they override, I would like to see them push her face into the dirt again. Maybe even kicked once or twice.

Links