Who says you don't need a gun in a hospital?

This is a discussion on Who says you don't need a gun in a hospital? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6156168 Shooting At ETMC Hospital In Tyler, Accused Gunman Charged March 2, 2007 05:32 AM EST 911 Call Released From Shooting At ETMC Shooting At ...

Thread: Who says you don't need a gun in a hospital?

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6156168

Shooting At ETMC Hospital In Tyler, Accused Gunman Charged

March 2, 2007 05:32 AM EST

911 Call Released From Shooting At ETMC
    Shooting At ETMC Hospital In Tyler, Accused Gunman Charged
    ETMC Shooting Update 4:15 PM
    KLTV Exclusive Video: ETMC Shooting Suspect Arrest
    ETMC Shooting Press Conference With Don Martin
    Breaking News: ETMC Shooting In Tyler
    Check All | Clear All

43 Richard White

Inside KLTV.com

Those Close To Accused Shooter, Victim Responds To Domestic Attack
    911 Call Released From Shooting At ETMC

New information this afternoon on the shooting outside the main lobby of ETMC in Tyler. KLTV 7 has learned that 43 year old Richard White of Tyler has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault causing bodily injury. His bond has been set at $1.25 million.

At 1:00 pm today (2/28/07), Tyler police said a gunman fired shots, injuring two people. One of victims is identified as Lucinda White of Tyler, the accused gunman's wife. Lucinda White worked at ETMC in the cafeteria at the hospital. She's listed in critical condition.

Police said a bystander, that was inside the hospital, was also wounded. Police said a bullet broke through a window and hit 61-year-old Ronald Norton of Alto in the ankle.

Dolores Shepple, a witness said, "You can definitely tell it was gun shots. Everybody was stunned. That's when everyone ran to the window to see if they could see what was going on. We saw people running this direction toward the hospital, but that's all we could see from that floor. "

Authorities said after the gunman opened fire, he dropped the gun and drove away.

Police pulled over the accused gunman just two miles away from the hospital on Gentry Parkway. That's where Richard White was arrested. Authorities later recovered the accused gunman's weapon: a 380-handgun, in a nearby flower pot outside ETMC.

For the very latest information stay with kltv.com, KLTV 7 News at 6pm and 10pm.

Lindsay Wilcox, lwilcox@kltv.com, reporting

Kathy Vitale, kvitale@kltv.com, 5pm news producer
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

A hospital is simply a building ... a place of employment ... a spot with lots of people. Just like any other building. It's got the same risk for all of the stupid, felonious acts of the perceived-aggrieved, like this husband. It's got much higher risk, too, due to the high-value drugs, equipment and tools inside. Let alone the simple fact that a hospital is a primary element of our "fighting" infrastructure, our ability to put people back on the line in an emergency, our ability to withstand disaster. Preachin' to the choir, of course, but it should be high on the list of places that are sacrosanct for carrying. Hospital staff should carry. Citizens should not be criminalized from carrying there. Uncertain what the rules are for this particular hospital/locale, but it wouldn't surprise me that the gloriously far-sighted legislators in that state have seen fit to do exactly that (criminalize carrying there).

'43 Richard White.'
    More like Richard Yellow.

'... Dolores Shepple, a witness said, "You can definitely tell it was gun shots. Everybody was stunned." '
    "Shepple", hm? I'm betting they got the spelling wrong.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

At the hospital where I work, an ex-military RN was fired because his gun was in his locker. Yes, he should not have told anyone that he had it. The area around the hospital is crack central. People have been robbed and raped in the employee parking lot. What do you trade...your life or your job? There are emotions running high in healthcare. I can't tell you the times I've been threatened or verbally assaulted. If you do decide to carry...keep your mouth shut!

tk

This isn't too surprising.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

They rob you blind anyway so why not shoot you to put you out of your misery!! Steve48

Dolores Shepple, a witness said, "You can definitely tell it was gun shots. Everybody was stunned. That's when everyone ran to the window to see if they could see what was going on. We saw people running this direction toward the hospital, but that's all we could see from that floor. "

Now that is real smart, you hear gunfire and run towards it to see what is going on. Me, I'd be on the floor looking for a way out, while looking for the gunman.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    was that Dolores Shepple or Sheeple? lol
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

When I lived in Miami the hospital parking lot was a good place to get mugged. I can't blame any one working there for wanting to carry.

One of my students is a ER doctor at a N. Mpls, Mn hospital where they can hear gunshots going on outside all the time. They routinely have to patch up the gang bangers who while trying to save their lives others are trying to get into the ER to finish them off. The doctor was assaulted twice before he decided it was time to be proactive and get his carry permit along with training.
    Also at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester a young uneducated misguided youth had to be tackeled and detained as he wanted to finish the job he had started on the outside as they were in the process of saving a gunshot recipient.
    Bad people will be bad...Good people need to protect themselves.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Hope it never happens, but what a story it would make if an ER doc blasted one right there!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

i take my mother to the hospital regularly and i live in a decent area. however right next to the hospital is one of the worst little areas (bloomsdale) outside of philly for the southeast. your damn right i carry. especially since the parking always sucks and your walking quite a bit.
    What's this button do?

True Enough...

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Hope it never happens, but what a story it would make if an ER doc blasted one right there!
    But the real irony is that right after the 'proposed shooting' the said doctor would be required to 'fix 'em up'...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    IIRC, this just happened to a police officer in Robertson County, Tennessee, as well. The officer (Officer Short) is at home recovering, and the shooter was apprehended almost immediately. There is no such place as a "crime-free zone," although many wish to believe they exist (and that they live and work in them).

[QUOTE=ccw9mm;308374]A hospital is simply a building ... a place of employment ... a spot with lots of people.

Uncertain what the rules are for this particular hospital/locale, but it wouldn't surprise me that the gloriously far-sighted legislators in that state have seen fit to do exactly that (criminalize carrying there).

In Texas it is not against the law to concealed carry in a hospital. The hospital must post the appropriate and well known 30.06 signage in order to keep one from carrying a legally concealed weapon into their buildings.

And regardless what the witness's name is Shepple or Sheeple, I see no reason to bash a witness to a crime. There are plenty of other in this world worthy of bashing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I am an ER nurse and lemme tell you, I wish I was allowed to carry. I work in a small hospital and our security isn't armed either. About 3 months ago we had a guy come in with some .380's in his chest and had to fly him out. About 15mins later these three thugs came in through our ambulence entrance looking in every room. I asked them who they where looking for, they ignored me and kept running around the ER. We called the police and they left before they got there. Found out the next day, they were the shooters, looking to finish the job. I've been in several situations at work where my life was in danger. I've even had a gangbanger flash a nickle plated .25 at me once. I keep writing letters to our hospital admin. to get some armed security, but they won't. Hospital carrying is the next section of the Ohio law I woud like to see changed.

Sponsored Links