Letter from Jim Zumbo to Alan Gottlieb

This is a discussion on Letter from Jim Zumbo to Alan Gottlieb within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While he cant undo the damage done to our cause just as a bullet fired cant be called back . IMHO he is certainly headed ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Letter from Jim Zumbo to Alan Gottlieb

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    While he cant undo the damage done to our cause just as a bullet fired cant be called back . IMHO he is certainly headed in the right direction. I may well never forgive the post on his blog , But will forgive the man if he keeps going as he is now .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

I gave up trying to read motives in words a long time ago. I'll take them at face value, and on that basis, he said what he needed to say.

I fully expect to see him follow through. The 'reasonable hunters' are going to start hearing an ear-full, and it's about time.
    Clint
    Kansas - The original Old West
    Open Skies - Long Vistas

He said all that he could possibly say. I do not believe Jim has the reputation of being a lier or BS artist. I'll take him at his word and accept his appology.

All gun owners must present a united front. Jims original comments drove a wedge between gun owners. I think he clearly sees this and clearly understands that that is a bad thing for all gun owners hunters or not.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

I do like his letter, for the most part. Some of it does seem like he is trying to deflect things away from his comments, but at least this time he didn't accuse me (and everyone who took a stand against his original blog) from getting him fired.

The bible tells me to forgive my enemy, and that I have done and hold no ill will towards Mr. Zumbo, but as has already been said, forgiving is easy, building trust again can take some time and effort. I think this is a great first step towards building that trust again.

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    im gonna still hold out on the forgiveness card.

odds are, a publicist wrote that for him, or helped him with it.

we'll see how he's doing in a year or so...
    As someone who has worked as a publicist, I would say you are right about him having help with this letter, but that is not in and of itself evil. When I was doing publicist work, I would take what my clients said and felt, and phrase it in the best way to convey their intent. A good publicist doesn't make-up their own version of the truth, they just present the truth with an open mind that is usually removed from the pressure of the original situation. Clear thinking, fresh eyes, what have you.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    peacefuljeffrey - that thought occured to me too, that it could have been a skillfully engineered maneuver to grab the spotlight. But until there's more evidence that this is the case, I'll take the man at his word, and congratulate him for being able to keep his ego in his pocket and speak his mind.

But even if it was engineered as a way to fill in the gap between hunters, collectors, and home defense gun owners, I don't think it really matters. What matters is if it will work. If it helps promote a united front of all gun owners against further restrictions on one of our most important rights, I'm all for it.
    Well, my first thought was that it just doesn't comport. . . People who have contempt for "assault weapons" and their owner/users don't get converted. They don't get converted that easily. They certainly don't get converted by being berated for their take on things.

That's why I find it hard to believe that he really did believe those things. It's easier for me to believe one of the following:
    - he faked those statements in order to set up a "conversion" whose purpose is to pave the way for others to rally behind 2nd Amendment support including "EBRs".
    - he really meant those comments and is now doing damage control and doesn't really mean his support for EBRs and the rest.

Not sure what to think, but I really really wish I could believe the apology letter at face value.

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Someone asked how big was the check?

I had never heard of him until the statements hit the news.

He is struggling for his job and I can only hope he is sincere.
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I got a job for him: pay him five bucks for every former HCI'er or MMM'er that he gets to pay for an NRA membership.

VIP Member
    He has no job. He lost his sponsors and got kicked out of OLN, all in a space of 3 days or so. If I am not mistaken he has zero income at this time.
    I believe he is really sorry for what he said but I am holding my final pardon for his reparations. He has my total support so he can mend fences and bring others like him into the fold.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Well, my first thought was that it just doesn't comport. . . People who have contempt for "assault weapons" and their owner/users don't get converted. They don't get converted that easily. They certainly don't get converted by being berated for their take on things.

That's why I find it hard to believe that he really did believe those things. It's easier for me to believe one of the following:
    - he faked those statements in order to set up a "conversion" whose purpose is to pave the way for others to rally behind 2nd Amendment support including "EBRs".
    - he really meant those comments and is now doing damage control and doesn't really mean his support for EBRs and the rest.

Not sure what to think, but I really really wish I could believe the apology letter at face value.
    I think there's a 3rd option - he allowed himself to be brainwashed by the people who actually do have contempt for not just EBR's, but all guns and all gun owners. The brainwashing worked simply because they weren't actively targetting a "type" of gun he was familiar with.

I don't know if this 3rd option is true, but I think it's just as likely as thinking he is a closet anti or that it was all an elaborate ruse.

But then again, I too really really want to believe him. So, maybe I'm giving him too much benefit of the doubt. Who knows, but that's what I see in it.

Mr. Zumbo

It looks like Mr. Zumbo has seen the error of his ways. If he truly means what he wrote I think he deserves a chance to rectify his mistake. We all put our foot in our mouths due to not knowing the facts before we shoot off our mouths. I agree , only time will tell if Mr. Zumbo is sincere. All of the gun groups need to unite and fight for our Second Amendment goal.

PEACEFULFEFFERY says:

You know, reflecting on this scenario, I pause to thing. . .
    This seems almost like it could have been engineered, you know? Like he deliberately stepped in s#!t in order to have a forum, a "soapbox," and the spotlight on him -- and then maximize the exposure to PUT THE MESSAGE ACROSS LOUD AND CLEAR WHILE EVERYONE'S WATCHING INTENTLY.

You know Jeffery it is said that the truth will set you free, apparently it will also make you cynical. Let's give Zumbo a break. He misspoke, he has made an honest attempt to apologize. Yeah, we'll watch the back trail for dust and smoke, but I think Jim is contrite and honestly so. Have you never opened the big wind machine in front of the wife, friends, relatives, etc. and wished you could have it back? Let the one without sin cast the first stone.
    Buzzg
    NRA Endowment Member

Our Freedom

We don't seem to loss our basic freedoms in one big gulp. We loss them in an insidious long term assault. The enemy is smart and continuously builds on small victories. We need to understand the tactics and be ever vigulant.

I'll Accept His Word...

and move on...
    Who hasn't made a blunder in his or her past. Being in the spotlight makes Zumbo's blunder 'well known'. His apology seemed sincere, and I will take it at face value.
    If we're in a fight, I'll stand with any man big enough to admit a mistake...he'll probably be a stronger defender for it...

Now screw it up again...that's a different story...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Zumbo Not Honorable At All

Zumbo has had this anti-"assault weapon" thing gnawing at his guts for many years. He timed his sorry outburst to co-incide with the Democrats taking control of the US Congress.

Some of you will forgive Zumbo and jump on those Democrat anti-gunners who use Zumbo's remarks to suit their purpose. Without Zumbo's perfectly timed blog, the anti-gunners in Congress could not quote the "gun expert." Blame Zumbo along with the antis, he is now one of them.

"Public" would be if this letter were posted on the CCRKBA web site. Anyone found a link, yet?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links