#1 ·
February 28, 2007

Mr. Alan Gottlieb, Chairman
Citizens Committee for the
Right to Keep and Bear Arms
12500 N.E. Tenth Place
Bellevue, WA 98005

Dear Alan:

They say that hindsight is always 20-20. In my case, hindsight has been a hard teacher, like the father teaching the son a lesson about life in the wood shed.

I was wrong when I recently suggested that wildlife agencies should ban semiautomatic firearms I erroneously called “assault rifles” for hunting. I insulted legions of my fellow gun owners in the process by calling them “terrorist rifles.” I can never apologize enough for having worn blinders when I should have been wearing bifocals.

But unlike those who would destroy the Second Amendment right to own a firearm – any firearm – I have learned from my embarrassing mistake. My error should not be used, as it has been in recent days by our common enemies, in an effort to dangerously erode our right to keep and bear arms.

I would hope instead to use this spotlight to address my hunting fraternity, many of whom shared my erroneous position. I am a hunter and like many others I had the wrong picture in mind. I associated these firearms with military action, and saw not hunting as I have known it, not the killing of a varmint, but the elimination of the entire colony. Nothing could be further from the truth, but I know from whence it comes. This ridiculous image, formed in the blink of an eye, exerts and unconscious effect on all decisions that follow. In seeking to protect our hunting rights by guarding how we are seen in the public eye, I lost sight of the larger picture; missed the forest for the trees.

My own lack of experience was no excuse for ignoring the fact that millions of Americans – people who would share a campfire or the shelter of their tent, and who have hurt nobody – own, hunt with and competitively shoot or collect the kinds of firearms I so easily dismissed.

I recently took a “crash course” on these firearms with Ted Nugent, to learn more about them and to educate myself. In the process, I learned about the very real threat that faces all American gun owners.

I’ve studied up on legislation now in Congress that would renew and dangerously expand a ban on many types of firearms. The bill, HR 1022 sponsored by New York Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, is written so broadly that it would outlaw numerous firearms and accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. I understand that some of the language could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns as well as those of all American hunters.

The extremist supporters of HR 1022 don’t want to stop criminals. They want to invent new ones out of people like you and me with the simple stroke of a pen. They will do anything they can to make it impossible for more and more American citizens to legally own any firearm.

Realizing that what I wrote catered to this insidious attack on fellow gun owners has, one might say, “awakened a sleeping giant within me, and filled him with a terrible resolve.”

I made a mistake. But those who would use my remarks to further their despicable political agenda have made a bigger one. I hope to become their worst nightmare. I admit I was wrong. They insist they are right.

Enclosed, you will find a check that is intended to be used to fight and defeat HR 1022. I also hope it inspires other gun owners to “do as I do, not as I say.”

I’m putting my money where my mouth should have been, and where my heart and soul have always been. I know the Second Amendment isn’t about hunting and never has been. My blunder was in thinking that by working to protect precious hunting rights I was doing enough. I promise it will never happen again.

I don’t know what lies over the horizon for me. I am not ready for the rocking chair.

I’m going to devote every ounce of my energy to this battle. I will remind my fellow hunters that we are first, gun owners. Whether we like it or not, our former apathy and prejudices may place that which we love, hunting, in jeopardy. I will educate fellow outdoorsmen who mistakenly think like I talked, even if I have to visit every hunting camp and climb into every duck blind and deer stand in this country to get it done. I was wrong, and I’m going to make it right.

Sincerely,
Jim Zumbo

See less See more
#2 ·
It takes a very brave and honorable man to admit his mistakes and especially publically. We all can take a good look at this situation, we must remember that we should think before we speak. If we open mouth and insert foot and leg our enemies will take all advantage.

The more in the public eye we are the more we have to be carfull that our statements arn't used against us. Stay strong in the struggle.

#3 ·
That's actually a pretty good apology..:hand10:

If he "walks the walk" and is able to bring some of the hunting enthusiasts over to the support the 2nd Amendment for everyone side, it will be a good thing...

We'll be watching...:ticking:

#6 ·
That's actually a pretty good apology..:hand10:

If he "walks the walk" and is able to bring some of the hunting enthusiasts over to the support the 2nd Amendment for everyone side, it will be a good thing...
Absolutely!

You know, reflecting on this scenario, I pause to thing. . .
This seems almost like it could have been engineered, you know? Like he deliberately stepped in s#!t in order to have a forum, a "soapbox," and the spotlight on him -- and then maximize the exposure to PUT THE MESSAGE ACROSS LOUD AND CLEAR WHILE EVERYONE'S WATCHING INTENTLY.

It seems like a stroke of genius. Or it could be as it is portrayed: a "mistake." I just find it hard to believe the guy could have been circulation among gun people and writing about shooting and hunting for years and never have come across the platitude (which is really a truth) that more hunters need to realize that they too are in the fight to keep our guns, and need to take part.

Is it really credible that right up til the criticism reached him, he really didn't know that "evil black rifles" were [/i]not[/i] evil?
We'll be watching...:ticking:[/QUOTE] And then all of the sudden, when advocates of those rifles chastised him for being so ignorant, he suddenly, and without protest, was receptive to their correction, saw the error of his ways, and became a devoted missionary for the pro-gun side??

I think it's possible that he said the anti-"assault weapons" stuff deliberately, to open up this discourse.

#7 ·
Having opened my mouth only to change feet on more than one occasion, I can forgive. However, there is a huge gap between forgiveness and trust. Trust must be rebuilt. He's on the right path, let him walk the walk for a time.

#33 ·
I think stoneypete says it best.

Whether he wrote it or had someone else do it for him, I think it took guts. I will take his apology at face value. My opinion of him has risen . . . for now.

I will forgive but continue to watch. He has a long road to rebuild the trust of the pro gun community.

I wish him luck if he is sincere.

#19 ·
I do like his letter, for the most part. Some of it does seem like he is trying to deflect things away from his comments, but at least this time he didn't accuse me (and everyone who took a stand against his original blog) from getting him fired.

The bible tells me to forgive my enemy, and that I have done and hold no ill will towards Mr. Zumbo, but as has already been said, forgiving is easy, building trust again can take some time and effort. I think this is a great first step towards building that trust again.

As someone who has worked as a publicist, I would say you are right about him having help with this letter, but that is not in and of itself evil. When I was doing publicist work, I would take what my clients said and felt, and phrase it in the best way to convey their intent. A good publicist doesn't make-up their own version of the truth, they just present the truth with an open mind that is usually removed from the pressure of the original situation. Clear thinking, fresh eyes, what have you.

#9 ·
...hopefully these are his words and he truely has had an epiphany...this was the apology he should have had coming out of the gate. At the very least, he had someone read his stuff for review before he sent it out...

#10 ·
It does seem like he means it. We will see if his actions speak louder than his words

#11 ·
Hopefully Jim, and the other "hunter rights" types get on board with the pro-RKBA types. Black rifles are no better or worse than other rifles. It is a tool for a job.

#12 ·
It takes a big man to so publicly admit he was wrong. I too hope he keeps his word and his apparent vigor for defending all incarnations of the right to keep and bear arms. He certainly has taken a big step in the right direction, and I think we (meaning all gun owners, including the non-hunting variety like myself) should support him so long as he continues to put his money and his effort where "his mouth should have been," as he put it.

peacefuljeffrey - that thought occured to me too, that it could have been a skillfully engineered maneuver to grab the spotlight. But until there's more evidence that this is the case, I'll take the man at his word, and congratulate him for being able to keep his ego in his pocket and speak his mind.

But even if it was engineered as a way to fill in the gap between hunters, collectors, and home defense gun owners, I don't think it really matters. What matters is if it will work. If it helps promote a united front of all gun owners against further restrictions on one of our most important rights, I'm all for it.

#20 ·
peacefuljeffrey - that thought occured to me too, that it could have been a skillfully engineered maneuver to grab the spotlight. But until there's more evidence that this is the case, I'll take the man at his word, and congratulate him for being able to keep his ego in his pocket and speak his mind.

But even if it was engineered as a way to fill in the gap between hunters, collectors, and home defense gun owners, I don't think it really matters. What matters is if it will work. If it helps promote a united front of all gun owners against further restrictions on one of our most important rights, I'm all for it.
Well, my first thought was that it just doesn't comport. . . People who have contempt for "assault weapons" and their owner/users don't get converted. They don't get converted that easily. They certainly don't get converted by being berated for their take on things.

That's why I find it hard to believe that he really did believe those things. It's easier for me to believe one of the following:
- he faked those statements in order to set up a "conversion" whose purpose is to pave the way for others to rally behind 2nd Amendment support including "EBRs".
- he really meant those comments and is now doing damage control and doesn't really mean his support for EBRs and the rest.

Not sure what to think, but I really really wish I could believe the apology letter at face value.

#14 ·
That's the first piece by Zumbo that I've read since this thing started that made me like the man. Kudos to him for getting his head out of his rear (or for his brilliant PR maneuver).

#15 ·
I wonder how many people will actually see this apology versus the news media pouncing on the original statements. IMHO the liberal news media will totally ignore this letter, and use his original statements.

The real test will be to see if he can get this in front of the same number of people that heard about his original statements. NPR carried the original, but I bet they don't even mention this follow up.

#16 ·
While he cant undo the damage done to our cause just as a bullet fired cant be called back . IMHO he is certainly headed in the right direction. I may well never forgive the post on his blog , But will forgive the man if he keeps going as he is now .

#17 ·
I gave up trying to read motives in words a long time ago. I'll take them at face value, and on that basis, he said what he needed to say.

I fully expect to see him follow through. The 'reasonable hunters' are going to start hearing an ear-full, and it's about time.

#18 ·
He said all that he could possibly say. I do not believe Jim has the reputation of being a lier or BS artist. I'll take him at his word and accept his appology.

All gun owners must present a united front. Jims original comments drove a wedge between gun owners. I think he clearly sees this and clearly understands that that is a bad thing for all gun owners hunters or not.

#21 ·
Someone asked how big was the check?

I had never heard of him until the statements hit the news.

He is struggling for his job and I can only hope he is sincere.

#23 ·
He has no job. He lost his sponsors and got kicked out of OLN, all in a space of 3 days or so. If I am not mistaken he has zero income at this time.
I believe he is really sorry for what he said but I am holding my final pardon for his reparations. He has my total support so he can mend fences and bring others like him into the fold.

#25 ·
Mr. Zumbo

:urla9ub: It looks like Mr. Zumbo has seen the error of his ways. If he truly means what he wrote I think he deserves a chance to rectify his mistake. We all put our foot in our mouths due to not knowing the facts before we shoot off our mouths. I agree , only time will tell if Mr. Zumbo is sincere. All of the gun groups need to unite and fight for our Second Amendment goal.

#26 ·
PEACEFULFEFFERY says:

You know, reflecting on this scenario, I pause to thing. . .
This seems almost like it could have been engineered, you know? Like he deliberately stepped in s#!t in order to have a forum, a "soapbox," and the spotlight on him -- and then maximize the exposure to PUT THE MESSAGE ACROSS LOUD AND CLEAR WHILE EVERYONE'S WATCHING INTENTLY.

You know Jeffery it is said that the truth will set you free, apparently it will also make you cynical. Let's give Zumbo a break. He misspoke, he has made an honest attempt to apologize. Yeah, we'll watch the back trail for dust and smoke, but I think Jim is contrite and honestly so. Have you never opened the big wind machine in front of the wife, friends, relatives, etc. and wished you could have it back? Let the one without sin cast the first stone.
Buzzg
NRA Endowment Member

#28 ·
I'll Accept His Word...

and move on...
Who hasn't made a blunder in his or her past. Being in the spotlight makes Zumbo's blunder 'well known'. His apology seemed sincere, and I will take it at face value.
If we're in a fight, I'll stand with any man big enough to admit a mistake...he'll probably be a stronger defender for it...

Now screw it up again...that's a different story...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

#29 ·
Zumbo Not Honorable At All

Zumbo has had this anti-"assault weapon" thing gnawing at his guts for many years. He timed his sorry outburst to co-incide with the Democrats taking control of the US Congress.

Some of you will forgive Zumbo and jump on those Democrat anti-gunners who use Zumbo's remarks to suit their purpose. Without Zumbo's perfectly timed blog, the anti-gunners in Congress could not quote the "gun expert." Blame Zumbo along with the antis, he is now one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.