Second Militia Act of 1792

This is a discussion on Second Militia Act of 1792 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The age limit is for those who may be called up (drafted) to active military service....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Second Militia Act of 1792

The age limit is for those who may be called up (drafted) to active military service.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    I went back and was reading more. ......." The Militia of the United States consist of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and....under 45 years of age who are or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States............".
    This is all very interesting stuff.
    Indeed. This specific phrase inclusive of the part; "..under 45 years of age..." is problematic, in that, if you are OVER 45 years of age, any and all guns that you now have must be immediately shipped or given to those who are 45 and under. OR, shipping them through an appropriate FFL to ME will also satisfy this pesky portion relating to militias....

{I am not an attorney at Law, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!}
    God Bless the USA

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    yeah, but I don't like the age limit, as I just turned 46 (though I did actually attain the rank of sergeant in the active forces)
    Wouldn't mean you couldn't contribute or serve; it would merely mean that 16yrs and younger and those 46yrs and older wouldn't be called. Similarly, these points of the law don't mean that self-defense, being armed and contributing to the common defense are limited to only those within this age range.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks. I think I'll have to bring that to work with me and look into it a little more.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

When is the goverment supposed to send us a new supply of ammo? I'm running low.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    That age limit was placed when the lifespan was a lot shorter. I say we petition the gov to raise it up.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    That age limit was placed when the lifespan was a lot shorter. I say we petition the gov to raise it up.
    Where do we sign?
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Hey, I never received my M16A2 with my green card, .GOV needs to fix that ASAP...

Quote Originally Posted by mark555 View Post
    Do you think that my wife would accept the argument that I was just trying to follow federal law? As far as full auto goes, I can’t hit anything on full auto after the first couple of rounds. I put a lot more rounds on target using semi auto then I ever did using full auto.
    I tried to use that arguement today...needless to say, it didn't fly. My wife (a little upset I'm leaving for a year tour in Iraq) said--"you're already getting one of those!! You can have it for a year and then you have to give it back!"....she was non-plussed that I wanted to have one in the house full time.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I tried to use that arguement today...needless to say, it didn't fly. My wife (a little upset I'm leaving for a year tour in Iraq) said--"you're already getting one of those!! You can have it for a year and then you have to give it back!"....she was non-plussed that I wanted to have one in the house full time.
    SIGguy,

Take care, and check in if you can, We'll be looking for you to post all about it when you get back.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Here's a couple quotes from the DC Decision:

The Amendment does not protect “the right of militiamen to keep and bear arms,” but rather “the right of the people.”
    On the other hand, it does not follow that a person who is unsuitable for militia service has no right to keep and bear arms. A physically disabled person, for instance, might not be able to participate in even the most rudimentary organized militia. But this person would still have the right to keep and bear arms, just as men over the age of forty-five and women would have that right, even though our nation has traditionally excluded them from membership in the militia.
    I think, if this ruling stands, that the 'over 45' crowd (and I'm nearly there) will be just fine :)

I highly encourage you to read the entire decision. It's a real piece of literary art, and a clear demonstration of well formed logical reasoning.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Sigguy - take care and good luck.

And, thank you.
    Last edited by SonofASniper; March 17th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cmidkiff View Post
    ...I highly encourage you to read the entire decision. It's a real piece of literary art, and a clear demonstration of well formed logical reasoning.

Start with Page 18 A. It's just introductory and quite tedious before that but an excellent analysis starting with page 18.
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

Look what the court thinks of DC's ban on handgun ownership

From the Court Case noted at http://pacer.cadc.uscourts.gov/docs/...3/04-7041a.pdf :

Footnote 17. 0f course, the District’s virtual ban on handgun ownership is not based on any militia purpose. It is justified solely as a measure to protect public safety. As amici point out, and as D.C. judges are well aware, the black market for handguns in the District is so strong that handguns are readily available (probably at little premium) to criminals. It is asserted, therefore, that the D.C. gun control laws irrationally prevent only law abiding citizens from owning handguns. It is unnecessary to consider that point, for we think the D.C. laws impermissibly deny Second Amendment rights.

It's interesting to note that this court acknowledges (as do the D.C. Judges) that the D.C. handgun ban only prevents private citizens from owning guns. They manage to say that D.C. is denying citizens their 2nd Amendment Rights... Legal challenge based on legal ruling anyone? D.C. citizens? Anyone?

Keep reading on page 56 ...
    Last edited by SA-XD40; March 14th, 2007 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Added information
    When a criminal busts down your door in the middle of the night, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a phone?

When a thug shoves a gun in your face in the mall parking lot, which would you rather have in your hand - a gun, or a cellphone?

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    more ammo please..... ;o)
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links