HB 347 goes into effect in Ohio today?

This is a discussion on HB 347 goes into effect in Ohio today? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, today is when HB347, which included state-wide pre-emption and no more plain sight car carry is supposed to go into effect. Apparently the city ...

Thread: HB 347 goes into effect in Ohio today?

So, today is when HB347, which included state-wide pre-emption and no more plain sight car carry is supposed to go into effect. Apparently the city of Cleveland filed an appeal trying to overturn the ruling at the last minute.

So honestly I'm not really sure if this means pre-emption is in effect yet or if plain sight is still required. Its kind of frustrating, and of course the AG's website doesn't have any info about it.

Stupid Cleveland, go catch your river on fire again.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Cleveland is only contesting preemption, Ohio Revised Code 9.68. Nothing else is being contested. It has all gone into effect today, including preemption.

Just be careful where you go as they may or may not be following the new rules. Here is a quote from the Ohioans For Concealed Carry forums.

I spoke to the Law Directors office at the City of Cleveland and asked if they are going to continue to enforce their current Assault Weapon Ban. I was told that the Law Director was at a press conference and he would call me back. At that time I was not aware that the press conference was related to the new state gun laws. A few hours later I believe that the Law Director or someone representing him, called me back. I indicated that I was looking at a house near Lake Ave in Cleveland, as I own a house near the lake in Lakewood at this time. I explained to him that I was interested in moving into Cleveland because property taxes in Cleveland would be cheaper than Lakewood. I currently pay near $6,000.00 in property taxes in Lakewood.

Anyway I informed him that I owned a large number of rifles classified as “assault weapons” and wanted to know if the ban is still in effect. He informed me that the City of Cleveland would continue to enforce “ALL” their current gun laws! I was then asked who I represented and I informed him I was a member of several pro-gun organizations, but held no official capacity, and again stated I am a potential resident of the city. I wanted to ensure I would not be breaking any laws if I purchased a house in Cleveland and stored my semiautomatic weapons in the City of Cleveland.

Again he stated that Cleveland would enforce all current gun laws of the city. He repeated some of the talking points in the lawsuit filed today. Home rule seemed to be the main argument for the continued enforcement of the current laws. He mentioned the several other laws that would still be enforced children and gun, prohibitions in parks, and handgun registration.

I changed the subject to Cleveland's CCW law (Section 627.02.) It makes no exception for having a State issued CCL to keep from being charged with CCW under the current city law. I asked if I have a state issued CCL will I be charged with CCW violationm since you intend to enforce all current gun laws, and that {(Section 627.02.) Cleveland's CCW law} does not offer an exemption for persons with a state CCL. He indicated that he would not discuss affirmative defenses and that I would have to talk to the city Prosecutor. So I asked again if Cleveland would honor state CCL and he indicated that the city would continue to enforce “all” their current laws.

I next contacted the City of Cleveland prosecutors office and they towed the party line. They informed me that they will continue to enforce all current gun laws. I asked again if I will be arrested for CCW in the City of Cleveland if I have a state issued CCL, once again I was given the same answer, we will continue to enforce all current gun laws. I was refereed to their law library if I had any further questions. I was informed that the law was clear and the law library could provide copies of all current city codes...
    And a link to the forums for Buckeye07.

http://ohioccwforums.org/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    Cleveland is only contesting preemption, Ohio Revised Code 9.68. Nothing else is being contested. It has all gone into effect today, including preemption.
    Notice where rtroha is from... I would trust him as far as I can throw him.

I forgot about today being the day, I guess I missed the parades and the fireworks.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, SIXTO
    I think the only parades and fireworks were me driving in the truck revving the engine with my .45 under my shirt.

Just want to make sure I don't get bit in the butt if I bring anything up to C-Bus when I get back from Spring Break.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I Forgot About That...

Now I may be willing to drive through Ohio on my way to MI...

Isn't it still illegal to have a gun in a rest (crime) area along I-75 in OH?

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Yup, sorry Ret, just make use of one of the many truck stops where you can get gas and drinks and a break in one stop.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now I may be willing to drive through Ohio on my way to MI...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    It's only illegal to carry a gun in buildings at a rest area.
    The early-bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Links