Wisconsin Man Charged With Choking, Beating Wife to Death Outside of Police Station

This is a discussion on Wisconsin Man Charged With Choking, Beating Wife to Death Outside of Police Station within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; [Mods--please move as appropriate] Please read this in light of Wisconsin's failure to pass a concealed carry law...and where were the police!?...sadly, too late. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258651,00.html ...

Thread: Wisconsin Man Charged With Choking, Beating Wife to Death Outside of Police Station

Angry Wisconsin Man Charged With Choking, Beating Wife to Death Outside of Police Station

[Mods--please move as appropriate]

Please read this in light of Wisconsin's failure to pass a concealed carry law...and where were the police!?...sadly, too late.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258651,00.html

FOX LAKE, Wis. — A man accused of choking and beating his wife to death outside the door of the Fox Lake police department was charged Tuesday with first-degree murder, the first killing in Fox Lake in 20 years.

Jeffrey A. Asbury, 40, of Fond du Lac was also charged with a felony count of eluding an officer. The charges carry a maximum penalty of life plus 3 1/2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine.

Asbury's wife, Sherry, died Sunday from strangulation and blunt-force trauma to the chest and head, according to the criminal complaint.

"I know I did it. I don't know how I did it, but I know I did it. There was nobody else around," the complaint quotes Asbury as telling a sheriff's deputy.

Court Commissioner Steve Seim ordered Asbury held on $400,000 cash bond. A preliminary hearing was scheduled April 26 in Dodge County Circuit Court.

"That this crime was committed at the police department shows a disregard for the legal system," Seim said. "He allegedly admitted to the crime and there was blood on his hands at the time of the arrest."

Jeffrey Asbury was separated from Sherry, 35, since January and may have been angry that his wife was reportedly seeing someone else, prosecutors said.

Earlier this month, he called his wife 10 to 20 times threatening to kill her, his children and his in-laws, the complaint said.

Sherry Asbury's body was found in the lobby of the Fox Lake Municipal Building, which houses the six-officer police department. The office was unoccupied at the time.

A witness called 911 around 4:45 p.m Sunday to report seeing Jeffrey Asbury ram his wife's car in the municipal building's parking lot, telling authorities Sherry Asbury ran into the building with Jeffrey Asbury in pursuit.

By the time Fox Lake police Officer James Perkins arrived, Jeffrey Asbury was getting back into his car. There was no sign of his wife.

Asbury refused to cooperate so Perkins used a Taser on him, according to Sheriff Todd Nehls. Asbury broke free and drove about a mile away before his car ran off the road.

When Perkins took him into custody for fleeing an officer, Asbury had blood on his hands, Nehls said.

He told the officer, "I think she's dead," the complaint said.

Sherry Asbury, of Waupun, was found unresponsive on her back and was pronounced dead a short time later at a hospital.

It was unclear whether the victim was trying to reach the police department. Nehls said once she was in the lobby, her only chance to contact authorities would have been to use the pay phone.

"Very seldom is there anybody in (the police department)," Nehls said. "If you have a police officer sitting in the office, that's one less officer on the street where they need to be."

The department maintains one officer on duty for each shift but the lobby is always open, he said.

All 911 calls in the area get routed to the Dodge County Central Dispatch center, which relays information to Fox Lake officers and sheriff's deputies.

Fox Lake is about 50 miles northeast of Madison.
    Last edited by SIGguy229; March 15th, 2007 at 03:36 PM.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    [Mods--please move as appropriate]

"That this crime was committed at the police department shows a disregard for the legal system," Seim said. "He allegedly admitted to the crime and there was blood on his hands at the time of the arrest."
    I guess the fact that he killed her wasn't enough to show he disregards the legal system.
    Last edited by 4my sons; March 14th, 2007 at 04:06 PM. Reason: can't spell
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

What it also shows is.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    I guess the fact that he killed her wasn't enough to show he disregards the legal system.
    That if you are even in the lobby of the PD it may not be enough to save your life let alone in your home or out on the street. Best arm yourself and learn how to use it.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    I feel for her children.....
    Sad....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Why would anyone need a gun for protection - that's what the police are for.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    What's worse is that I grew up just 10 miles or so north of there!

Come on Wisconsin, get your act together! Give your citizens a chance to defend themselves.

Wisconsin Needs To Wake Up...

and pass some more gun laws to prevent this kind of stuff...
    {Sarcasm off}

If this poor woman had been able to arm herself she would still be alive...she needed an equalizer...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    That if you are even in the lobby of the PD it may not be enough to save your life let alone in your home or out on the street. Best arm yourself and learn how to use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Why would anyone need a gun for protection - that's what the police are for.
    + .45

I'm going to bookmark this news story for future use.
    The next time some fool online or IRL tells me people don't need self defense measures because we have police then I'm going to send them the link or print off this story for their review.

This story where there is no officer in the station is not unusual either.
    I've seen this happen IRL myself at local and state police as well as sherriff offices as well. The police can't be everywhere and anywhere at once.

This situation sucks so bad for their kids.
    Mom murdered and dad the murderer in prison for life.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

This just goes to show that the police cannot be every where. Her only chance would have been if she was armed or someone who saw the incidence was a ccw permit holder.

The police can not help you!!! You need to defend yourself. Steve48

Assistant Administrator
    A reminder once more - as about everyone has noted - the police (bless 'em) cannot be everywhere at all times. I doubt there is a cop in this great country who if asked to give a totally honest answer, could possibly admit to things being any different.

Even a super fast, ''luck-of-the-draw'' response of two minutes, because a car was nearby (assuming of course it got called in) ........ would be often too long to save a life. Things happen way too fast and this why the logical solution is that folks take personal responsibility for their own protection.

A plainer fact I cannot see, despite all the bleatings by the anti gun crowd.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Reminds me of an audio clip I stumbled upon a week or two back that got leaked to the public. A woman was on the line with the dispatcher when a man who had been creeping around her house broke in and killed her while the connection was still active with the dispatcher. Not something I ever want to listen to again.

Cops can't be everywhere. Ya gotta make sure you can protect the circle of wagons until the cavalry shows up, and be prepared for them not to show up until the shooting is done.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    LOL! Excellent point. The moron making that statement is more concerned with the idea of the guy thumbing his nose at the police than with the idea that he brutally murdered his wife.

Doing that anywhere shows disregard for the legal system. But that's hardly the bigger matter.

Links