My phone call to AARP

My phone call to AARP

This is a discussion on My phone call to AARP within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I called the AARP today to ask about their organization’s policy toward gun control. Since I could find no mention of this issue on their ...

Thread: My phone call to AARP

My phone call to AARP

I called the AARP today to ask about their organization’s policy toward gun control. Since I could find no mention of this issue on their official web site, I thought I would call and get their views from the horse’s mouth.

After being on hold and sent to different people for about 15 minutes, someone came on the line and said that what I had read (that the AARP is strongly in favor of gun control because ‘some elderly are virtual prisoners in their own homes’ because of street violence) was probably true. When I asked for clarification of this, I was brushed off and when I asked that I be sent information on their stand on this was told that they were unable to do that.

So I guess I have the picture now: some of the paid staff at AARP have decided that they can use that organization to further their personal anti-2A agenda without the members even knowing about it.

Sure wish someone would hack into their database and e-mail each and every member about this. Heads would roll at AARP headquarters!!!
    Last edited by obxned; March 15th, 2007 at 11:41 AM.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

No surprise to me. They want the elderly to be victims. Steve48

I did a quick search of AARP’s policies on their web site and found the following quote on page 30 of their policy on “Personal and Legal Rights.” “Congress should eliminate gaps in and strengthen enforcement of the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act and other federal gun laws.” Here’s the link: http://assets.aarp.org/www.aarp.org_...12_legal06.pdf

A few years ago, I did a similar search and found a much more detailed statement that outlined precisely what gun control measures they wanted to see implemented. They were numerous and pretty restrictive.

I wonder if they’ve been getting a number of inquiries about this, and maybe it’s making them a little uncomfortable with the attention their policies have generated with us baby boomers.

I did a Google search on “AARP gun” and found an article AARP posted about a spot on the O’Reilly Factor that contains the following:
    ---
    Gun Control
    AARP believes in the Constitutional right to bear arms. But to make the nation safer, we must do what we can to keep guns out of hands of children and criminals. AARP supported the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act, which went into law in 1994 with bi-partisan support, but was allowed to expire this year.

AARP supports measures to eliminate firearm possession by juveniles, convicted domestic abusers and those under domestic violence restraining orders.
    ---
    This was found at http://www.aarp.org/research/press-c...0-oreilly.html
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

I went to their site and used the question form to ask for a clarification on their position, and to confirm that Mr. Rother was in fact speaking for the organization in 2001 (the date of the letter posted on 2nd Amendment Sisters website).

Obviously, there are some views expressed which are antithetical to those of most well-informed gun owners, but here's the encouraging take I have on their response (quoted below).

1) They didn't express support for new Federal legislation, (such as the new AWB), only for enforcement of existing laws.
    2) They only expressed support enabling legislation (to support Federal laws) at the state level.
    3) They did not express negative opinions on gun ownership and concealed carry, only on the existence of violent crime.
    4) The next to the last paragraph, which I placed in bold print, indicates that policy can evolve, based on member input. I think this attitude, if sincere, provides an opening for AARP members to influence the publicly stated policy of the organization. If enough members contact the board of directors with well-reasoned, well-researched info, policy aims could swing toward a pro-2nd Amendment and pro-self defense direction, which would truly promote the well-being of seniors in the U.S.

If other members of CombatCarry are AARP members, as I am, I encourage you to begin communicating with the board.

Dear Mr. Campbell:

Thank you for contacting AARP about our policy concerning firearms.
    This is a difficult subject for people to discuss. I appreciate your
    sharing your views with us.

I do not have a copy of the letter you referenced, but Mr. Rother was
    the AARP Director of Legislation and Public Policy at that time.

AARP policy does not "ban all guns." Our policy targets only
    inappropriate gun purchasers, not responsible citizens. Here is the
    statement passed by our Board of Directors:

"Congress should eliminate gaps in and strengthen enforcement of the
    Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act and other federal gun laws.
    States should enact legislation to eliminate gaps in, and strengthen
    enforcement of, federal and state gun laws, particularly with regard
    to possession by juveniles, convicted domestic abusers and those
    under domestic violence restraining orders."

AARP continues to support careful measures to improve the enforcement
    of existing federal and state laws. Contributing to our decision was
    a 2002 report by the Government Accountability Office (GAO)
    indicating that the National Instant Criminal Background Check System
    (NICS) is not always able to access relevant records, especially
    domestic violence misdemeanor convictions, within the time period
    allowed under the law for background checks. Also, information
    gathered by the U.S. Department of Justice (September 2003) indicates
    that 70% of homicide victims age 12 or older were killed with a
    firearm, and that handguns were used in over half (56%) of all
    homicides.

Recent research indicates that lethal violence in the US far outpaces
    other Western nations. AARP policy reflects concern that
    crime-especially violent crime-may have particularly severe
    consequences for older people and teens.

AARP policymaking is an ongoing process. Our all-volunteer National
    Policy Council thoughtfully develops each policy, after reviewing the
    pros and cons. Then the Council makes recommendations to the Board
    of Directors, who are also all volunteers. Both groups are made up
    of a distinguished cross-section of AARP members. All our public
    policies are carefully reviewed each year. Communications from
    members, like yours, contribute to establishing, strengthening and
    updating our policies.

I hope this information has been helpful. Please do not hesitate to
    contact us if there is any way we may be of assistance in the future.
    Thank you again for taking the time to get in touch. It is an
    important part of my job to consider carefully the concerns of every
    member.

Sincerely,

Betty
    Member Communications
    Member@aarp.org

Toll-free 1-888-OUR-AARP (1-888-687-2277).
    Toll-free 1-877-434-7598 TTY
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I'm at "that age" where I am geting mailings from AARP, and being aware if their 2nd amendment position and over all LIBERAL, LEFTIST tendencies here is my proceedure..

1} Remove contents from envelope and set aside postage paid return envelope.
    2} Send contents, unread, through shredder.
    3} Using packing tape twice the leanth of envelope, fill sticky side with #6 shot, fold over to secure shot.
    4} Place shot in envelope and seal.
    5} Place envelope in mail box.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve48 View Post
    No surprise to me. They want the elderly to be victims. Steve48
    Exactly. If the elderly were SELF-empowered, instead of counting on AARP to fight their battles for them for a price, they'd cease to be able to make a living.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I'm at "that age" where I am geting mailings from AARP, and being aware if their 2nd amendment position and over all LIBERAL, LEFTIST tendencies here is my proceedure..

1} Remove contents from envelope and set aside postage paid return envelope.
    2} Send contents, unread, through shredder.
    3} Using packing tape twice the leanth of envelope, fill sticky side with #6 shot, fold over to secure shot.
    4} Place shot in envelope and seal.
    5} Place envelope in mail box.
    They send it postage paid? ACLU sends me crap all the time, and it's never postage paid.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Exactly. If the elderly were SELF-empowered, instead of counting on AARP to fight their battles for them for a price, they'd cease to be able to make a living.
    I may be mis-reading this, if so I apologize, but let's be fair. We count on the NRA, and other pro-gun organizations, to fight our battles for us. The reality is that these organizations are much better able to do so, then we ever could as individuals.

From what I can gather, AARP is sensitive to member imput, so rather then dropping my membership, I intend to follow Rods example and, as a member, write to express my dissatisfaction with their current policy position on gun control.

Ron

I quit the sorry AARP after being a member for about one year. AARP is run by a bunch of shrill anti-gunners. The fact is that the fat cats who run the AARP will not allow the membership to vote on gun issues. Sounds like a dictatorship to me. F350 has the best idea.

Ron -- +1000!!
    AARP is, at it's core, a money motivated polical organization. As such, it sways back and forth in the "POLL" wind. Yes, my wife & I are members (she turned 65 this month & I'm not far behind).
    Believe it or not. eventually they do listen to their members letters -- as long as any change in policy does not conflict with something they have going in their lobby efforts. Just like congress and the presidential elections, we have to vote to remove wrong thinking executive leaders. Keep swinging!!
    g
    Last edited by GeeVee; March 15th, 2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: oops - typo
    I.C.E.?? dial 1 911 !!!

age discrimination

I think they ought to be sued for age discrimination. I got out of the navy after 20 years (transfered to the inactive reserve) at 38 and then was transfered to the retired list 10 years later. However even though I was "retired" I could not join the "american association of RETIRED persons". Doesn't that sound like age discrimination to you (grin).

Eric

Further research on my part indicates that they are a very sleazy bunch of weasels!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I Gave Up On The AARP...

years ago...
    They were really not of much use to me anyway...they had nothing I needed.

Their true colors will have to clearly change before I would even consider looking into their membership again...I doubt that will happen.

The above comment about being a 'sleazy bunch of weasels'...fits!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"Further research on my part indicates that they are a very sleazy bunch of weasels!"

That just about covers it. Maybe "stinking" should be in there somewhere.

Links