2 positive 2A rullings, and HR-1022

This is a discussion on 2 positive 2A rullings, and HR-1022 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not wanting to hijack another thread about the new rulings in Jersey or D.C. My question is, will this give us any leverage against HR-1022, ...

Thread: 2 positive 2A rullings, and HR-1022

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

2 positive 2A rullings, and HR-1022

Not wanting to hijack another thread about the new rulings in Jersey or D.C. My question is, will this give us any leverage against HR-1022, could we be so hopeful that it could trump HR-1022 before it even get voted on. I'm not trying to get anyone’s hopes up, just curious about how this will/could effect HR-1022.

With the swing towards recognizing individual rights, it would seem to me that HR-1022 would unduly restrict an individual's rights under the second amendment.

Of course they are, If I am understanding it correctly, calling it the "law enforcement protection act" so I guess if we object, then we are uncaring about our LEO's, is that a fair take on it.

What do you guys think, the Jersey and D.C. rulings are definitely a good thing, but will they help us fight HR-1022?
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 4my son View Post
    With the swing towards recognizing individual rights, it would seem to me that HR-1022 would unduly restrict an individual's rights under the second amendment.
    Well, there's "restriction" and then there's "undue" restriction. Simply, HR-1022 doesn't abolish firearms ownership or usage; it "merely" takes the (ugly, black) "risky" ones off the table and limits capacity. I'd think this would be a tough sell, as a legal argument. The greatest ammo we've got is, IMO, the 2A itself. Why that isn't sufficient is beyond me.

Any precedent helps, but because of the above, I don't see the recent rulings impacting the debate or legality of HR-1022.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

You know, the funny thing (in a sad, but ironic, sense) about the whole "assault weapons" argument is that it is specifically BECAUSE these guns are so very suitable for militia-type uses that the anti-gun whackos want to ban them. And then these very same people turn right around, talk out of the other side of their mouth, and argue that the Second Amendment is only about militia-type uses!

Suppose we change the wording of the 1st amendment to read, in part:

A free press, being necessary to the integrity of a free state, the right of the people to free speech, shall not be infringed.

Now, is this a collective right or an individual right?
    Life is too short to be serious!

Quote Originally Posted by MSGTTBAR View Post
    Suppose we change the wording of the 1st amendment to read, in part:

A free press, being necessary to the integrity of a free state, the right of the people to free speech, shall not be infringed.

Now, is this a collective right or an individual right?
    Do you mind if i steal that for use elsewhere?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by jualdeaux View Post
    Me too. I am currently in a conversation with a few others on a 2A/H.R.1022 topic. I may just have to find a way to weasle that one in there.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

HAHAHAH Dont waste your time purple88yj if your trying to post it where i think you are. I think it might go over most of thier heads especially a certain poster with a dumb animated icon who seems to only be able to spam pictures as a response. Sorry i just came from there and saw his reply to what i wrote and just decided if i dont stop replying im gonna just get mad.

Links