DC Vote on the Vote

This is a discussion on DC Vote on the Vote within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just got this from ABC News: "Legislation to give the District voting representation in the House stalls when Republicans unexpectedly injected the volatile issue ...

Thread: DC Vote on the Vote

DC Vote on the Vote

I just got this from ABC News:

"Legislation to give the District voting representation in the House
    stalls when Republicans unexpectedly injected the volatile issue of
    gun control into the debate."

I can't wait to get the details on this.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Here is a little more:
    http://www.politico.com/blogs/thecry...ting_Bill.html

GOP Forces House Democrats To Pull DC Voting Bill
    House Democrats pulled a bill to grant voting rights to Washington, D.C., after Republicans offered a motion that would repeal the gun ban for the District.

The move is a clear signal that Democrats have lost control of House floor after minority Republicans presented the Democratic majority with a politically unpalatable motion that their conservative members would be forced to support for fear of angering the gun rights community.

Fifty-two Democrats voted with Republicans on a similar measure to repeal the gun ban in 2004. That would be more than enough support for Republcians to add a repeal to the voting rights bill - something a majority of Democrats would vehemently oppose.
    Personally, I love government gridlock....the more time they spend fighting each other the less time they have to pass legislation that spends more of our money & further erodes our freedoms....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature."

"The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State"

I'm all for all Americans haveing representation, but as I read the constitution only "states" can have representation in the legislature. DC is a not a state but a district.

I can certainly understand why the Dems would want this to go through. Representetives from this area would certainly favor them and give them more leverage.
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
    --George Washington

Thumbs down King Berry

When you are not represented you then become a subject. Is that the reason they have king Marion Berry. It sure sounds like they are not represented too well.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by craze View Post
    "The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature."

"The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State"

I'm all for all Americans haveing representation, but as I read the constitution only "states" can have representation in the legislature. DC is a not a state but a district.

I can certainly understand why the Dems would want this to go through. Representetives from this area would certainly favor them and give them more leverage.
    That's why Holmes-Norton just stands there aghast..........she represents DC, but she can't vote! If this law were to be passed, it would end up at SCOTUS's front door....someone would call them on it's lack of Constitutionality.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Art I, Section 8: The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
    To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;

So...to make DC a state would kinda be unconstitutional....anyone??

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    If people do not like it there then they can leave. Wont even have to change jobs since the next state is only 10 minutes away (without traffic that is)

Links