Is there a chance of a repeat of 'Prohibition'?

This is a discussion on Is there a chance of a repeat of 'Prohibition'? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3616.html article in The New Republic by Benjamin Wittes “It's time for gun-control supporters to come to grips with the fact that the amendment actually ...

Thread: Is there a chance of a repeat of 'Prohibition'?

VIP Member

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3616.html

article in The New Republic by Benjamin Wittes

“It's time for gun-control supporters to come to grips with the fact that the amendment actually means something in contemporary society. For which reason, I hereby advance a modest proposal: Let's repeal the damned thing.”
    How much traction would this get? This would be the ultimate anti's wet dream...............
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Truth be told, Not much. This idea has been played with before and even the most Left wing nut pauses when they realize you are talking about messing with The Bill of Rights. If they put one down, the rest will become fair game.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The " nanny staters " would love it , howeaver it wont fly imho .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I believe a smarter man, er wabbit said it best.

Of course you know, this means WAR.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

I don't think that the liberal's are dumb enough to try to dismantle the Bill of Rights. Prohibition didn't take away any protected right of the people specifically laid out in the Constitution or Bill of Rights (There was no right to keep and drink whiskey, although that doesn't sound like a bad idea.) That is the major difference between the two issues as I see it.

Hey, why don't the ACLU see the 2nd as something that they need to defend too since they are all about defending the bill of rights and rights of the people. Ya know that "shall not be infringed" part really does seem open to interpretation
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    the 2A won't be the first to go, even as much as it's been demonized. Too high profile. The people trying their best to strip us of all (not just some) of our rights are much more subtle than that. But I'm sure it's in the gameplan for further down the road.

A quote from another member's sig comes to mind
    "The second amendment is the 'reset' button of the constitution." To keep that button from being pushed until it's too late, the nanny's must be sneaky.

The chances are miniscule for any part of the Bill of Rights to be repealed. A very real danger has been its dilution, over time, by creeping legislative machinations. The "assault weapons" ban, gun registration, limits on sales and purchases, and so on and so on. It's as important to stand against the assault from gradualism as it is against the fell swoop. This applies to the rest of the Bill of Rights, too, not just the Second Amendment.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

That was one finely written article. As unlikely as it is to go this route, it is something we must be vigilant about. Not that I care either way, they aren't getting mine regardless.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Absolutely a risk, so long as unfettered and illegal actions are tolerated, so long as head-in-sand stupidity reigns, and so long as our elected representatives and the judiciary believe they have the right to wrest control from the legitimate authority (the People). The mere fact their "guns are bigger" (aka, they've got the lawyers and the seats at the table, plus military/police force) casts the mold fairly strongly. It's time to break the mold.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sponsored Links