HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors

This is a discussion on HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My response from Ben Chandler (A Democrat) on HR1022. Originally Posted by BenChandler Dear Mr. Elam: Thank you for taking the time to contact me ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors

My response from Ben Chandler (A Democrat) on HR1022.

Quote Originally Posted by BenChandler
    Dear Mr. Elam:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about H.R. 1022, the Assault Weapons Ban Law Enforcement Protection Act 2007. I believe that staying in touch with the people of the Sixth District is the most important part of my job. Your thoughts and opinions will enable me to better represent you in our nation's Capitol.

H.R. 1022 would provide for a ten-year extension of the assault weapons ban. The ban expired on September 13, 2004, which means that weapons banned by the 1994 law are now legal to sell once again.

While I appreciate and understand differences in opinion on this difficult issue, I have always been - and will continue to be - a strong supporter of the Second Amendment right to keep and bear arms. I will oppose any bill that infringes upon that right, and you may be assured that I will stand up for gun owners' rights should H.R. 1022 come up for a vote this year.

I appreciate the time you have taken to contact me about this matter. I encourage you to visit my web site (http://chandler.house.gov) and sign up for my e-newsletter which addresses issues in the 110th Congress that affect Central Kentucky and our nation. I hope you will stay in touch and contact my Lexington or Washington offices if I can be of any further assistance.

Sincerely,

Ben Chandler
    Member of Congress
    That's good news for me!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Just heard back from my Rep (slightly edited):
    Dear Mr. Warcrimes:

A ban on assault weapons is an infringement of our constitutional rights. I appreciate knowing your thoughts on this issue.

The Assault Weapons Ban expired in 2004. On February 13, the Assault Weapons Band and Law Enforcement Protection Act, H.R. 1022, was introduced. This bill not only reauthorizes the Assault Weapons Ban, it expands the ban to include more guns.

I am opposed to H.R. 1022 and to any new gun laws that violate s our constitutional rights. While much needs to be done to prevent violent crime in our nation, I am convinced that more gun control laws are no t the answer. I believe we need to concentrate on punishing criminals, not responsible gun owners, and I will continue to oppose the reauthorization of the Assault Weapons Ban.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. Each week, thousands of Kansans stay informed about activities in Congress by reading my email newsletter. If you are not already a subscriber, I welcome you to sign up for This Week in Congress at www.jerrymoran.house.gov .

Very truly yours,

Jerry Moran
    I am so glad not to live in California anymore.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

VIP Member

Thumbs up Email to Mr. Gordon (TN-6, D) and His Response

My email to him via his web page:

"Mr. Gordon,

I respectfully urge you to oppose HR 1022, which has been introduced by Mrs. McCarthy from New York, which would re-authorize and extend the so-called "Assault Weapons Ban" which was enacted during President Clinton's administration. I believe that such legislative proposals do nothing to deter crime, and only prevent those who are law-abiding from possessing firearms which they should be able to possess by virtue of being American citizens. No criminal who has already decided to violate laws against murder, rape, and other forms of felonious attack will obey a law which prohibits the possession of any firearm, knife, baseball bat, tire iron, or any other implement. I appreciate your vigorous defense of the Second Amendment in the past, and I hope that you will continue your support of that right, in addition to all of those rights "inestimable to them [the citizens of the United States], and formidable to tyrants only."

Thank you for your efforts on behalf of your constituents, and all Americans!"

And his reply:

"Thank you for contacting me about H.R. 1022 the ban on certain semiautomatic weapons that resemble military assault weapons. It helps me better represent Middle Tennessee when I know of your
    concerns.

I oppose banning semiautomatic weapons. You may know that when a ban was in effect, I cosponsored legislation to end it in 1995,
    and voted to end the ban when a bill passed the House of Representatives in 1996. That bill, the Gun Crime Enforcement and Second Amendment Restoration Act, was never voted on by the Senate and so did not become law. But my vote for it demonstrated my commitment to your Second Amendment rights. You may be assured that should the House of Representatives vote on restoring the ban, I will vote against doing so.

As always, if I may be of further assistance to you or your family, please feel free to call on me.

Stay in touch,
    /s
    BART GORDON
    Member of Congress"

I found his reply to be very satisfactory.

How long does it usually take to get a reply? I sent an email via the web page for my rep about a month ago and alas, no response.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    How long does it usually take to get a reply? I sent an email via the web page for my rep about a month ago and alas, no response.
    It really depends upon the Rep/Senator in question. Chandler always gets back to me pretty fast. McConnell is somewhat slow and if I get a response from Bunning I feel that someone in hell received ice water.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

My Answer

Dear Mr. Richburg ,

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to H.R.1022, the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007. I appreciate hearing from you.

As a strong supporter of the Second Amendment, I believe we should not legislate policy based on whether a politician feels the citizenry does or does not need certain firearms. That type of policy is capricious and arbitrary. I agree with you that we need to keep guns out of the hands of criminals. We already have laws on the books that address the criminal misuse of firearms. We must enforce current laws without criminalizing the use or ownership of firearms by law-abiding citizens. Criminals will always find a way to illegally obtain firearms. If we outlaw guns, citizens will not have adequate tools to defend themselves.

At this time, H.R.1022 has been referred t o the House Judiciary Committee and there is no companion legislation in the Senate. Rest assured, if this bill comes to the Senate floor for a vote, I will carefully consider it and will keep your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for sharing your views with me. Please feel free to contact me in the future about any issue important to you or your family. It is an honor to serve you and the people of South Carolina .

Sincerely,

Jim DeMint
    United States Senator
    When outnumbered 2 to 1.
    Shoot twice!
    Gopher

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    I guess it really does depend on the legislator, as SammyIAmToday says...Mr. Gordon's response was in my inbox within 24 hours.

Responce from Martenez

Thank you for contacting me regarding the semiautomatic weapons ban. I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

When our Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution, they included the Second Amendment to guarantee people the right to keep and bear arms. This is a fundamental part of our American identity, and I will work with my Senate colleagues to ensure that this liberty is protected for all law-abiding citizens.

On February 13, 2007, Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) introduced the Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act (H.R. 1022). This legislation would reauthorize for ten years the Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, which prohibits the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon or a large capacity ammunition feeding device. H.R. 1022 has been referred to the House Committee on the Judiciary, where it awaits further approval.

Although no similar legislation has been introduced in the Senate, I will keep your thoughts in mind as we proceed in the 110th Congress.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

This is the responce I recieved today from one of my senators. Thought you would like to read his responce.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

@nd responce

This one really bothers me....Looks like he could be persuaded into voting yes on this. Very disheartening...

"Thank you for contacting me regarding legislation to reinstate the ban on assault weapons. As you may know, the ban expired in the 109th Congress when then-majority leader Frist failed to schedule time for debate.

Representative Carolyn McCarthy has introduced H.R. 1022 to reinstate for ten years the criminal provisions regarding assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. The bill is pending before the House Judiciary Committee.

I support the constitutional right to bear arms. However, I also support efforts to reduce gun violence and promote firearms safety. It is imperative that assault weapons are kept out of the hands of criminals.

I will keep your thoughts in mind if companion legislation to H.R. 1022 is debated by the Senate. Please don't hesitate to write again on any other issues that concern you."
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana

This is the response I got and as always very happy:

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to gun control. It was a pleasure to hear from you.

I agree that Congress should support the constitutional right of law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms. Like you, I recognize that firearms in the hands of law-abiding citizens result in less, not more, crime. Rest assured that I will keep your views in mind should I have an opportunity to address this important issue.

Again, thank you for contacting me. It is an honor to represent you in the United States House of Representatives and have the benefit of your advice. If you would like more information on this or any other issue, please visit my website at http://mikepence.house.gov to sign up for regular e-newsletters.

Warmest regards,

Mike Pence
    Member of Congress
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

I just received a nice letter from the Honorable Ralph Hall, my Rep., which stated in short:

"Thank you for your letter.....I am please to see we agree..........I will oppose this legislation if it should come before the House floor for a vote."

Ralph has been there many years, but I really liked his answer!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links