HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors

This is a discussion on HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; HR 1022, as many of you know, reintroduces the Assault Weapons Ban, permanently. It now has 33 co-sponsors. Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 3/7/2007 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HR 1022 now has 33 co-sponsors

HR 1022, as many of you know, reintroduces the Assault Weapons Ban, permanently. It now has 33 co-sponsors.

Rep Ackerman, Gary L. [NY-5] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Berman, Howard L. [CA-28] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Capps, Lois [CA-23] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Clay, Wm. Lacy [MO-1] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Crowley, Joseph [NY-7] - 3/7/2007
    Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Delahunt, William D. [MA-10] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Eshoo, Anna G. [CA-14] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Fattah, Chaka [PA-2] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Filner, Bob [CA-51] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Frank, Barney [MA-4] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Grijalva, Raul M. [AZ-7] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Hirono, Mazie K. [HI-2] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Jackson-Lee, Sheila [TX-18] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Kennedy, Patrick J. [RI-1] - 3/22/2007
    Rep Lofgren, Zoe [CA-16] - 3/15/2007
    Rep Lowey, Nita M. [NY-18] - 3/15/2007
    Rep Maloney, Carolyn B. [NY-14] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Markey, Edward J. [MA-7] - 3/13/2007
    Rep McGovern, James P. [MA-3] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Meehan, Martin T. [MA-5] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Miller, Brad [NC-13] - 3/9/2007
    Rep Moran, James P. [VA-8] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Pascrell, Bill, Jr. [NJ-8] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Pastor, Ed [AZ-4] - 3/22/2007
    Rep Schakowsky, Janice D. [IL-9] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Schiff, Adam B. [CA-29] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Sherman, Brad [CA-27] - 3/15/2007
    Rep Slaughter, Louise McIntosh [NY-28] - 3/13/2007
    Rep Tauscher, Ellen O. [CA-10] - 3/15/2007
    Rep Van Hollen, Chris [MD-8] - 3/7/2007
    Rep Wasserman Schultz, Debbie [FL-20] - 3/22/2007
    Rep Wexler, Robert [FL-19] - 3/9/2007

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...0:HR01022:@@@P

If you haven't called your representative yet, even in the last thread about this, better start doing it. Even over at DemocraticUnderground, people are wanting to stop this. Lets get moving!

VIP Member
    Rep DeGette, Diana [CO-1] - 3/13/2007
    Not surprised to see my rep here...she's as anti-gun as they come...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Here's the link to find your US Representative by 9 digit zip code:

http://www.house.gov/

And while I'm at it, here's a search tool to locate your US Senators, even though this bill has not "moved" to the Senate:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

It is now time, like never before!

Edited to add: I just wrote my Representative. Please do likewise.
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; March 24th, 2007 at 12:09 AM.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Not one Idahoan.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Not one Idahoan.
    write them anyway. I wrote mine, even though he's not on the list.

If anyone cares to read it, this is the letter I sent. Feel free to use parts of it or the whole thing to send to your own rep. It's a little long, but I think it needs to be to cover all the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    Mr. Jindal,

I'm writing to strongly urge you to fight HR.1022 "To reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban".

This bill now has several co-sponsors, and while it is still in the Judiciary Committee, it does not seem to be losing steam.

The text of this bill is incredibly broad, banning many popular firearms by name, as well as banning cosmetic characteristics that a very wide variety of firearms possess.

Further, this bill labels as an "Assault Weapon" any firearm designed or procured for Military or Law Enforcement use, and any firearm derived from them.

This sweeping language includes very nearly all rifles, shotguns, and pistols, including popular hunting rifles, which are used by the military as sniper rifles, fowling shotguns (which are commonly used by police in a shortened form for door breaching, and self-defense handguns, which are used widely by police and military alike.

I would even go so far as to speculate that there are almost no firearms availible to the public that have not been procured by at least one law enforcement agency or used by the military at some point in our history, and are therefore designated as "Assault Weapons" by this bill.

If this becomes law, it will be an enormous burden on all law-abiding citizens, and will do absolutely nothing to combat crime. Criminals who have decided to murder or harm another person will hardly stop to think about the legality of the weapon they choose. The vast majority of weapons used in a crime are already illegally obtained, either by simple theft or black-market sales. It will do no good to impose more restrictions on the people who are already following the law, and pretend that the criminals, who blatently ignore the law on a regular basis, will somehow be bound by this new bill.

The only tangible result of this bill would be the inability of law-abiding Americans to arm themselves for self-defense, while the criminals who target them would laugh at the regulations and continue to get their weapons illegally.

Once again, I strongly urge you to fight this bill, and prevent even more infringements of our rights as Americans. I fear the true goal of this bill is to strike a death blow to the 2nd Amendment to the Constitution, and leave Americans unable to protect themselves and their liberty. This must not be allowed to happen. All legislators are sworn to defend the Constitution, and I sincerely hope you will do so.

In closing, I wish the best for you in the up-coming gubernatorial race. Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

<my name>
    Louisiana 1st District
    Last edited by Bob The Great; March 24th, 2007 at 11:35 AM.

Responded

Thanks for the links Knight. I just sent everyone in IL (gun owners hell on earth State) an e-mail. I added the following quote:

“You cannot invade America. There is a rifle behind every blade of grass.”

Admiral Yamamoto

WW2 Japan Pacific Fleet Commander at Pearl Harbor.

Luckily none of the co-sponsors are from Kansas

But I have wrote both my Representative and my Senator. Now all I can do is hope they do what's right.
    Friendship... is not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything.
    Muhammad Ali

Thats one Great letter Bob The Great It is to the point!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Here's the link to find your US Representative by 9 digit zip code:

http://www.house.gov/

And while I'm at it, here's a search tool to locate your US Senators, even though this bill has not "moved" to the Senate:

http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

It is now time, like never before!

Edited to add: I just wrote my Representative. Please do likewise.

Thanks for the link RG, I just emailed this to my Rep:

Representative Cooper:
    As a law abiding resident, sportsman and firearms owner in the State of Tennessee, I urge you to work and vote against the current H.R.-1022 "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007."

This legislation is poorly conceived, poorly written and serves only to restrict the access of the law abiding citizens of our State and Country to firearms that do in fact serve several legitimate and legal purposes.

The wording of this Resolution is such that many firearms currently being used for hunting, shooting sports, private collections and even self defense would instantly become illegal to own and/or purchase.

Our home was broken into late one night about two years ago. I was fortunate in that I was able to scare off the intruder before he (or they) crossed the threshold into our home but I assure you I was prepared to defend my family from harm with the most effective means possible. As I guarded the door that night, my wife frantically called the 9-1-1 operator. Being a weekend, she was automatically put on hold to await an available operator and finally, after several minutes, she was able to speak to someone and an Officer arrived at our door thirty minutes later ... Mr. Cooper, thirty minutes is a very long time when your protecting your home from an intruder. By the way, that person (or persons) were never caught and as far as we know they're still out there roaming the streets.

Shortly after that incident, I enrolled in an NRA approved handgun training course and completed the steps necessary to receive my handgun carry permit.

For many of the same reasons, I also feel the "High Capacity Magazine Ban" is utterly preposterous in that someone in some nice, clean office somewhere actually believes they know, without a doubt, how many rounds of ammunition anyone will need to defend themselves in a possible violent assault. If we had that much information we could call Law Enforcement ahead of time and have the offenders arrested as soon as they arrived.

Mr. Cooper, I urge you to protect our right to effective self defense and legal firearms ownership. Please vote in opposition to H.R.-1022.

Thank you very much for your time and consideration.
    Sincerely,
    Jack ....

Assistant Administrator
    One from PA too

Some good letters already and we sure need to pile on the pressure. I just wish some of those folks on the current list thought with their brains instead of other anatomical regions!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by critterhog View Post
    But I have wrote both my Representative and my Senator. Now all I can do is hope they do what's right.
    This was the second time I wrote mine. I'm planning to keep writing too, until I get a positive response or the bill dies. We can't let them forget about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I just wish some of those folks on the current list thought with their brains instead of other anatomical regions!
    If we're talking about certain aft-facing anatomical regions, the problem may be that their heads are inextricably coupled with said regions.

I am deeply embarrassed that someone from my state is such a horse's rear end!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

The valley of the sun scorched earth(Phx,Az)
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    I am deeply embarrassed that someone from my state is such a horse's rear end!
    YOU! There are TWO from my state
    NRA Life Member USCCA Member

Freedoms Precious Metals:Gold, Silver and Lead

"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

Kimber Tactical Pro II w/EE over 2000 rnds NO MALFUNCTIONS

Presidential Hopefuls

All the presidential hopefuls have kept their names off of the list. What bunch of typical politicians ... they need to find out which way it's going to fall before they go public.

Obama's stand on the issue is probably more clear and broad-stroke than anyone else's, but a run for the Presidency has removed his spine and replaced it with that yellow streak found on all career politicians.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrioticRick View Post
    Not one Idahoan.
    Yep, not one of ours. As a matter of fact, one of our Senators is a board member of the NRA.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links