Check out these guys.... Pro 2nd Amd Dems!

This is a discussion on Check out these guys.... Pro 2nd Amd Dems! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Jchoo .02, try this out. http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html Libertarianism may be what you're looking for, I know it suits me just fine. I knew ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Check out these guys.... Pro 2nd Amd Dems!

Quote Originally Posted by Jchoo View Post
    .02, try this out.

http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html

Libertarianism may be what you're looking for, I know it suits me just fine.
    I knew I was a libertarian even before I took that quiz.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

2. Remove Ads

According to the quiz I am a Centerist.
    CENTRISTS espouse a "middle ground" regarding government control of the economy and personal behavior. Depending on the issue, they sometimes favor government intervention and sometimes support individual freedom of choice. Centrists pride themselves on keeping an open mind, tend to oppose "political extremes," and emphasize what they describe as "practical" solutions to problems.
    Hard to get an accurate picture with 10 questions though.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    Hey, I'm with Liveral here. I'm pretty liberal (I'm a criminal defense lawyer for Heaven's sake) and a Yellow Dog Democrat (apologies to those who do not know what that means.
    Randy, around here (s. florida) the criminal defense lawyers are some pretty despicable people. I sure hope that somehow you manage to make a living at it without being what I see around here.

I read the local paper(s) every day, and I see some of the statements these guys make when defending utterly indefensible criminals.

One case involved a kid (Lionel Tate) who was 13 when sentenced to life in prison for killing a little girl (Tiffany Eunick). He was 170 lbs. She was 6 years old, and 48 lbs.

First, his defense was that he attempted to mimic a "wrestling move" and broke her neck. Then of course the medical examiner showed that she had injuries all over her body consistent with more of a hellacious beating than one attempted wrestling move gone wrong. So he was convicted. Given life. Then the sentence was overturned and he was later given probation.

His mother is a Florida State Trooper. At some point, several of her guns were found missing, and are believed to have been stolen by Lionel (and sold). To my knowledge they have not been accounted for.

Lionel Tate had several run-ins with the law after his release. In one, he was found to be carrying a knife (his probation says no weapons). He got a wrist slap. Then he was accused of robbing a pizza deliveryman. For that, finally, the judge revoked his probation and sentenced him to 30 years.

In the news story, his lawyer said that while Lionel should have taken his probation more seriously, 30 years was too harsh a sentence for what he had done.

I got a letter published in The Palm Beach Post in which I called this lawyer a despicable liar for deliberately misrepresenting the facts: Tate was not given 30 years to punish a probation violation. The 30 years was the sentence for the KILLING, which was held in abeyance until he violated his probation.

Hmph. I hope you're above that kind of thing, Randy. I know you to be a good guy from this forum. I imagine it's very difficult to do what you do. No one will say that it's not necessary. But when you have to represent someone who you know is guilty of the crime, and your job is to get him off or get him a light punishment by portraying him as a little fuzzy kitten or something, that's gotta be rough.

I've been a life-long Democrat, myself, tending to be leftist on most social issues, and centrist on the economy. I've joined the 2nd Amendment Democrats group and am starting my own petition to present to my Congressman urging opposition to HR1022. The petition forms are available in the group's files section. We really need activists on RKBA issues in the Democratic Party.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    PeacefulJeffrey:

I don't know anything about poor lil' ol' Lionel (or his case) as I wasn't involved, so I can't really comment about what his lawyer said.

But if what's been reported is true, the (kid? Spawn of Satan?) should be warehoused for the rest of his life. If not because he deserves it (it sounds pretty clear that he does) then certainly because everybody else is safer with him locked up.

I carry weapons and am adamant about people being able to carry weapons because I KNOW criminals. Ordinary people NEED weapons and ALERTNESS to be safe.

I also carry in part because some of the people for whom I've worked aren't very....uh......nice.

A few of those not very nice people have expressed....uh....."dissatisfaction"....with the results of their cases.

I figure that's just my own unique occupational hazard. Some lines of work carry more risk than others, but most have some sort of occupational hazard involved with them.

Your physician doesn't care squat-doodle if you're a bad guy or not. He tries to get you well, or better, or ease your suffering if that's all he can do.

My line of work is similar. It's a myth that bad guys get off scot-free all the time on technicalities. Where I do my thing, there is always way too much evidence to deal with for that to happen. You might get some evidence thrown out. You might get a count or two dismissed. But you ain't walkin' your client.

The truth is that the prosecutors (I do Federal criminal cases- don't know how it is over with the Staties) don't bring cases they can't prove.

That's because A) they don't have to (they get to choose what they indict- and they weed out anything that isn't bulletproof); and, B) it's considered to be a waste of precious Federal resources for them to even consider something for which there isn't a mountain of evidence.

So most of the time my job consists of giving painkillers to the terminally ill- trying to get the zillion-year sentence down a little.

The best way to do that is to have the guy rat out all his "friends".

If the drug-dealer/gun-runner doesn't do that, or if he doesn't know anything worthwhile, or if the guy is just so bad a dude that the Government isn't interested in anything but putting him away (which is happening more often lately) there may not be a whole lot I can do for him.

In those cases I tee it up and force Uncle Sam to earn the right to warehouse my client. Sometimes I get somewhere. Usually not.

But I will tell you this, hokey as it may sound to those of you who have very little regard for the crooks or their mouthpieces: you have a great many rights.

They include the following things: (1) not have the cops break down your door and rummage through your house just because they feel like it-- including the right not to be pulled over for no good reason ; (2) not arrest you and throw you into some dark hole somewhere for as long as they like; (3) to a public jury trial with 12 unanimous jurors; (4) to face the people who say you've committed a crime and question them; (5) to put on a Defense when accused of a crime, including the right to have people compelled to appear in court; (6) not to be tried unless indicted by Grand Jury; (7) to testify in your own defense; (8) to not testify in your own defense; (9) to a lawyer, if you want one to help you.

Those rights ALL come from the SAME PLACE: our heartily defended (on this board) and sacrosanct Second Amendment comes from- - The Bill of Rights, or the first ten Amendments to the Constitution of the United States of America.

And an attack on ONE of those rights endangers and diminishes ALL of them.

They all matter and they each need to be vigorously defended.

My soapbox has collapsed due to my obesity, so I'll shut up now.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Amen, randytulsa2. Many of us on the "right" side of the law often get frustrated when we see obviously guilty people serve little or no time due to the diligence of people like you. We must remember, however, that these "technicallities" are often the very same things that protect us from government intrusion, and unlawful imprisonment. We must have people like you (hopefully honest, upright, and morally strong people) to protect everyone - not only the accused in the defendant's chair.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Wow! I really AM LEARNING alot here. I'm really pleased I started this thread!

Awesome posts folks!
    "The best compliment to the Warrior is that others feel safe while you are around." I would add especially if they REALLY ARE safe when you are around.

There was an op-ed article in my local free paper today about the DC CCW progress. In it the journalist used this quote.

"If the Liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way that they interpret all the others then gun ownership would be mandatory."

We can all learn something from that, often partisan politics only makes us interpret things to our own agendas, regardless of common sense.

RB
    TN speaker Jimmy Naifeh who has a 'Democrat and I own guns' sticker on the back of his car
    Begging your pardon but, this IS the guy who has been flooring our concealed carry options here in TN. He is absolutely no flippin' good to us who carry for protection. I don't care how many guns he owns, he is CCW carriers enemy!
    He has repeatedly stopped a number of laws from becoming reality. Namely, ability to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by RB View Post
    Begging your pardon but, this IS the guy who has been flooring our concealed carry options here in TN. He is absolutely no flippin' good to us who carry for protection. I don't care how many guns he owns, he is CCW carriers enemy!
    He has repeatedly stopped a number of laws from becoming reality. Namely, ability to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.
    This is why we need to identify and support those who are true 2nd Amendment supporters. If they aren't, we can support their opponents in the primaries.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by RB View Post
    I am well aware of Jimmy's stance on carry in restaurants and it differs to mine.

Have you met him or just read about him?

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    I am on the other end of the political spectrum, but I am learning very quickly that not all gun owners are right wing nutjobs like myself.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; April 5th, 2007 at 01:08 AM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post

And an attack on ONE of those rights endangers and diminishes ALL of them.

They all matter and they each need to be vigorously defended.

My soapbox has collapsed due to my obesity, so I'll shut up now.
    There seems to be a trend of guilty until proven innocent anymore in this country. That's sad, it's supposed to be the exact opposite.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I always hate that liberal democrat seems to be synonymous with anti-gun. I took that little quiz- came out liberal which I knew that I was. I agree with most of what the typical liberals stand up for but I feel like politics are so divided that it is hard to find people to represent us in government who hold most of the same ideals that we do. It just irratates me that people who are not one or the other can't even have a chance at getting anywhere with people's votes.
    I guess I just need to stay in vermont. A very liberal state that is also quite conservative. I think I am getting spoiled here...just wish I could find a job here when I finish school.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

I'm so libertarian it's not funny. Too bad the libertarians that we can vote for are usually nut jobs.
    There are some Dems that I would vote for, but I'm always afraid that when push comes to shove they will fall along the party lines and vote anti-gun.
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links