Pardon my ignorance, but will H.R.1022 allow us to keep our current “collection”

Pardon my ignorance, but will H.R.1022 allow us to keep our current “collection”

This is a discussion on Pardon my ignorance, but will H.R.1022 allow us to keep our current “collection” within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read the bill and I am slightly confused, would those of us that have AR-15’s,ak-47’s ect... and high cap mags be allowed to keep ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pardon my ignorance, but will H.R.1022 allow us to keep our current “collection”

I read the bill and I am slightly confused, would those of us that have AR-15’s,ak-47’s ect... and high cap mags be allowed to keep them under “pre-ban” status? if it passes...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    as far as I understand, yes, it still has a grandfather clause. Of course, if it didn't, it would be impossible to enforce and would almost certainly spark a few armed confrontations when they show up to claim people's guns.

Here is the grandfather clause as written in the bill.

SEC. 4. GRANDFATHER PROVISION.

Section 922(v)(2) of title 18, United States Code, as added by section 2(a) of this Act, is amended--

(1) by inserting `(A)' after `(2)'; and

(2) by adding after and below the end the following:

`(B) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to any firearm the possession or transfer of which would (but for this subparagraph) be unlawful by reason of this subsection, and which is otherwise lawfully possessed on the date of the enactment of this subparagraph.'.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    So in other words, if you are concerned about this being passed, and don't already have one of these weapons or magazines, or want more. There is no time like the present. Don't forget to buy ammo too (case loads). They'll go after that next.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

The Grandfather Clause imo is the only thing that would stop a revolution.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    So in other words, if you are concerned about this being passed, and don't already have one of these weapons or magazines, or want more. There is no time like the present. Don't forget to buy ammo too (case loads). They'll go after that next.
    i guess this is a good start, (both ammo cans are full to the top)
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array Timmy Jimmy's Avatar
    Do you think it will pass both the house and the senate and will President Bush sign it?
    Timmy Jimmy

If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

VIP Member
    Bush has said in the past he wold sign an AWB if it hit his desk...........

We can't let this happen again, there may not be an automatic 'sunset' clause, like last time.

History of gun bans EVERY where else has taught us that this is just another step towards total bans of all guns.........look at UK & Australia.

don't forget what some have said:
    "The true danger is when liberty is nibbled away, for expedience, and by parts." -Edmund Burke, letter, April 3, 1777, to the Sheriffs of Bristol

"We must stop thinking of the individual and start thinking about what is best for society." -Hillary Clinton, 1993

"Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA — ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." -Heinrich Himmler

"I'm convinced that we have to have federal legislation to build on. We're going to have to take one step at a time, and the first step is necessarily — given the political realities — going to be very modest. Of course, it's true that politicians will then go home and say, 'This is a great law. The problem is solved.' And it's also true that such statements will tend to defuse the gun-control issue for a time. So then we'll have to strengthen that law, and then again to strengthen that law, and maybe again and again. Right now, though, we'd be satisfied not with half a loaf but with a slice. Our ultimate goal — total control of handguns in the United States — is going to take time. My estimate is from seven to ten years. The problem is to slow down the increasing number of handguns sold in this country. The second problem is to get them all registered. And the final problem is to make the possession of all handguns and all handgun ammunition — except for the military, policemen, licensed security guards, licensed sporting clubs, and licensed gun collectors — totally illegal." -Pete Shields, Chairman and founder, Handgun Control Inc.,

"Yes, I'm for an outright ban [on handguns]." -Pete Shields, Chairman emeritus, Handgun Control, Inc.,

"I honestly think — and I am not an expert on the amendments — I think the only people in this nation who should be allowed to own guns are police officers. I don't care if you want to hunt, I don't care if you think it's your right. I say, 'Sorry. It is 1999, we have had enough as a nation. You are not allowed to own a gun and if you do own a gun, I think you should go to prison.'" -Rosie O'Donnell

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate of the United States for an outright ban, picking up every one of them... "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn 'em all in," I would have done it. I could not do that. The votes weren't here." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein

"Every good Communist should know that political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. The Communist party must control the guns" -Mao Tse Tung

"Assault weapons... are a new topic. The weapons' menacing looks, coupled with the public's confusion over fully-automatic machine guns versus semi-automatic assault weapons — anything that looks like a machine gun is assumed to be a machine gun — can only increase the chance of public support for restrictions on these weapons." -Josh Sugarmann
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein
    I like that quote. You can feel like it all you want, but wouldn't you rather want to "be" safe?

"Banning guns addresses a fundamental right of Americans to feel safe." -U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein.

"Carrying guns addresses a fundamental right of Citizens to be safe." -- Common sense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    "Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA — ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State." -Heinrich Himmler
    Here's a good companion quote to go along with that one...

“I like to hunt. I have grown up with guns all my life, but people who like assault weapons should join the United States Army, we have them.” Wesley Clark
    Last edited by JT; March 28th, 2007 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Edited to correct reference
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by JT View Post
    Here's a good companion quote to go along with that one...

“I like to hunt. I have grown up with guns all my life, but people who like assault weapons should join the United States Army, we have them.” Sen. John Kerry
    That's a Wesley Clark quote taken from a CNN interview June 25, 2003.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Two thoughts:

1)Prove you bought them in the "Grandfather period". If the UN has input, there won't be any stamped mags, this time around. IOW, if you interact with LE, you lose what you got.

2) "Grandfathering" could wellmean registration. Afterall, you want to be a law abiding citizen, right? The best way to make sure LE (or the guys running the gun range, or the guy you buy ammo from) has no reason to question what you have is to have a Registration Card.........

Complacency kills. Let this go through, and look to the Turd world for a glimpse of the future. Even criminals aren't safe:
    http://www.itv.com/news/index_64bea9...2482caa5f.html

Police hunt prisoner snatched from security van
    10.06, Fri Mar 23 2007

A prisoner who screamed "don't let them take me" as he was snatched by three masked men from a security van is being hunted by police.
    Aaron Williams, 21, was just yards from Salford Magistrates' Court, where he was due to attend a hearing, when men wearing balaclavas and armed with large kitchen knives dragged him from the van into a nearby car.

Williams was arrested on Wednesday and was being transferred from Swinton Police Station to the court for the minor theft offence hearing. It is likely that he would either have been bailed or remanded in custody for up to seven days.

Detective Inspector Danny Woodward of Salford CID said Williams, of Lower Broughton, had previous convictions for robbery and violent crime.
    The three men struck at 7.50am on Thursday at the rear security gates of the court which are located in Adelphi Street. The tyres of the prison van were slashed before the driver was punched.
    And a female security officer was also threatened as Williams was dragged out of the van and bundled into a silver Vauxhall Zafira which had been stolen a month earlier and was later found abandoned.

Det Insp Woodward said: "There were three prisoners in the van and the first one was taken out of the rear of the vehicle but the men were not interested in him.
    "Then Aaron Williams was dragged away and bundled into a waiting vehicle parked about 50 metres away in nearby Kay Gardens. Aaron was heard to shout 'Don't let them take me!"'
    He added: "We obviously need to find Aaron to find out why this has happened. We are keeping an open mind as to why someone would want to take him."

He said it was a "frightening attack" and the incident was "very upsetting" for the two security guards.
    Service company GSL, which is responsible for the prison transfer, described the escape as a "very serious incident".
    A spokesman said: "There is very little that staff can do to protect themselves where extreme violence is threatened or used."

Arent there other rifles that shoot semi automatic other than "assault" rifles?

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    That's a Wesley Clark quote taken from a CNN interview June 25, 2003.
    Oops. You're right. I got them in the wrong order. Kerry's was “I never contemplated hunting deer or anything else with an AK-47.”
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links