Amish Straw Purchases?

Amish Straw Purchases?

This is a discussion on Amish Straw Purchases? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There's an interesting tidbit at the end of this article . Most of the article is about Mennonites moving out of Mississippi because the state ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amish Straw Purchases?

Amish Straw Purchases?

There's an interesting tidbit at the end of this article. Most of the article is about Mennonites moving out of Mississippi because the state recently stopped allowing people to get a drivers license without having their picture taken if their religious beliefs prohibit photography. However, at the end of the article, they mention that the Amish have a similar problem, not with driver's licenses (don't need one for a horse and buggy, I guess), but with firearms.

And in Pennsylvania, Dr. Kraybill said, a law requiring photo identification to buy guns has prompted many Amish hunters to hire non-Amish neighbors to buy guns for them.
    Seems to meet the definition of a straw purchase to me. The government really ought to come up with some way for the Amish to exercise their 2A rights without violating their religious beliefs.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    There's an interesting tidbit at the end of this article. Most of the article is about Mennonites moving out of Mississippi because the state recently stopped allowing people to get a drivers license without having their picture taken if their religious beliefs prohibit photography. However, at the end of the article, they mention that the Amish have a similar problem, not with driver's licenses (don't need one for a horse and buggy, I guess), but with firearms.

Seems to meet the definition of a straw purchase to me. The government really ought to come up with some way for the Amish to exercise their 2A rights without violating their religious beliefs.
    My understanding is that a straw purchase takes place when someone buys a firearm for someone who is legally prohibited from owning one. I don't think that this qualifies in that sense, however I can see where anyone might think it would.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

since they are amish, i thought this story would truly be about purchasing straw haha.

Distinguished Member Array p8riot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jednp View Post
    since they are amish, i thought this story would truly be about purchasing straw haha.
    Naahhh. They grow their own.
    "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

The second amendment is the reset button of our Constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot
    My understanding is that a straw purchase takes place when someone buys a firearm for someone who is legally prohibited from owning one.
    Right. I think this might make for an interesting court case. The Amish aren't legally prohibited from buying or owning these guns, they just don't want to have their picture taken, so they are not in possession of the proper ID to make the purchase themselves. They legally COULD get the ID, they just don't want to. So, is that a straw purchase or isn't it? I don't know. The fact that their objection to the ID is on religious grounds just adds yet another layer of complication to the question.

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    It's not a straw purchase, P8triot was correct, it's only a straw purchase if the final recipient is prohibited from owning the firearm.

Well....

Quote Originally Posted by p8riot View Post
    Naahhh. They grow their own.
    They grow HAY. Straw is a byproduct.
    -Biker

if you think about, their picture was taking at one time or another anyway. they go into "town" to purchase things and you can't go anywhere anymore without cameras (security or not) all over the place taking pics and footage of millions all the time. i wonder if they thought of that or if it doesn't count.
    What's this button do?

If one looks at the form 4473, this would be a straw purchase, since the person filling out the paperwork is not the actual purchaser of the firearm.

Not that I don't think the Amish should be buying firearms, but according to current laws, they are not going about it the correct way. This is what needs to be addressed and hopefully it will with this being brought to light.

How many of us in here would be willing to purchase a firearm for someone under these circumstances. I am not refering to purchases for gifts or anything like that, but for someone that is either unwilling or unable to do the paperwork themselves.

I would not.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Clip, clop, clip, clop, clip, clop..BANG! BANG! BANG! clipity, clop, clipity, clop...
    You have just been a witness to an Amish drive-by shooting.
    What Would Gumby Do?

That sure made for a slow get away

OMaGawd....

It's an Amish drive by shooting....

Here he comes..............

Still coming.............

Almost here..................

So, what're you doing for lunch later?

Almost here........

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd

DUCK!
    Last edited by aepilotjim; March 31st, 2007 at 11:42 PM.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Well heck, since this thread got hi-jacked........

When I was in Ohio visiting the inlaws during Christmas they took us to an Amish Restaurant in Walnut Creek called the Der Dutchman. That place was awesome! If you are ever in Amish country in Northern Ohio check it out. It was homestyle cooking although a somewhat different style than what my southern definition of homestyle cooking is. I will eat there this summer when we go back up to visit.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    When I was in Ohio visiting the inlaws during Christmas they took us to an Amish Restaurant in Walnut Creek called the Der Dutchman. <SNIP> It was homestyle cooking although a somewhat different style than what my southern definition of homestyle cooking is.
    Well, you weren't in Georgia anymore!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I was at a gun show in Nappanee, IN yesterday. Quite a few Amish were there as dealers and purchasers.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links