An ignorant anti-gun "journalist" and my response to her article. - Page 2

An ignorant anti-gun "journalist" and my response to her article.

This is a discussion on An ignorant anti-gun "journalist" and my response to her article. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Did anyone explain to her that she would be writing for another government's newspaper if we had no guns? She makes my eyes roll, I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An ignorant anti-gun "journalist" and my response to her article.

Did anyone explain to her that she would be writing for another government's newspaper if we had no guns? She makes my eyes roll, I can't control it. Truly naive people have no business writing on a subject. Do some research before you attack! Barf! Barf! She sounds like a politician the way she rants and raves. Lets start a pity party and ban all weapons! Good reply to her article. Her "xeroxed" reply to you shows her true dedication to the subject(as if her blatantly false accusations weren't enough).
    The Problem: When stupid people do stupid things, smart people end up getting killed.

She does sound like she's reasonable, just not about guns. Apparently, her only experience with guns was having a friend shot to death and dying in her arms. Ouch.

That being said, that's as much slack as she's getting from me. Her opinion will be irrevocably biased by that decision, essentially invalidating her opinion. It's not an opinion based on fact or truth, but pure emotion and 1 (terrible) incident.

She should have at least mentioned her friend in the original article, so readers could weigh her opinion more accurately.

Senior Moderator
    After reading the response sent from the author, I think that sending any further comments is a waste of time.

Using logic and facts are against emotion and lack of critical thinking skills is like trying to teach a pig to sing...it aint gonna happen and it just pisses off the pig.

S.O...I applaud your desire to speak up and set the set the record straight. This is an example of the attitude of sheeple. Some can be led away from the slaughter house, others wont realize whats happening or the error of their ways until their last breath.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

"I was so, like, bummed by it!" The real world is a bad place. Is it a good thing, or bad thing, that death has become so far removed from a majority of our society?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    "They're Going To Take Our Guns Away!!!"
    While I do largely agree with you, QK, have you been to www.spp.gov ? Cutting through the feces will leave one rather chilled.........

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor View Post
    This is her original article, and the link to it.
    LINK- http://www.hendersondailynews.com/ar...opiniontue.txt

Let's get assault weapons off our streets
    By SHERRY LONG
    Staff Writer

A man drives downtown in Tyler and opens fire on the county courthouse steps, killing his ex-wife, an innocent bystander and wounding numerous others.

A sheriff's deputy remains in critical condition from his wounds.

Unfortunately, this story is very familiar.

It happened last Thursday afternoon at the Smith County Courthouse when the shooter was due in court concerning a child custody case.

The man used an AK-47 semi-automatic assault firearm to kill his victims.

A quick check on the Internet revealed that on the same day a Los Angeles city employee shot two co-workers using the same type of gun that was used in the Tyler killings - a semi-automatic assault weapon.

Who needs a semi-automatic weapon?

I fully understand the United States Constitution allows people the right to protect themselves and their homes by owning guns.

But semi-automatic weapons?

What in the world would you kill with a semi-automatic, unless you are just purposely going hunting for other human beings?

Are you going to go out and shoot a deer with a semi-automatic?

I admit that I don't know a lot about hunting, but seems like if you use a semi-automatic there won't be much left of the very animals you're trying to take home for dinner.

Plus, animals will hear a multitude of gunfire, not just one shot.

Personally, I'm scared of guns. I will not go near them, whether they're pistols or rifles. I don't care. I have buried too many friends and family members who died from shooting incidents.

A better question to ask is, why are semi-automatic guns even manufactured?

Most large corporations are driven by the profit motive - cold, hard, green cash. It's a simple true hard fact of life.

How money-hungry and greedy does a corporation have to be to put killing machines on the streets?

In 1994, Congress banned automatic and semiautomatic weapons, but it seems there are more reports than ever about shootings involving assault weapons.

"Immediately after the 1994 law was enacted, the gun industry evaded it by making slight, cosmetic design changes to banned weapons-including those banned by name in the law-and continued to manufacture and sell these "post-ban" or "copycat" guns," as reported in a study by the Violence Policy Center.

In May 2003, a congressman from New York authored a bill to make it harder for gun manufacturers to make and sell the post-ban weapons.

I hope it passes. These types of weapons need to be taken off the streets once and forever.

Federal law states that automatic weapons can only be used by the military.

I can understand the military needing automatic weapons. They conduct business in war zones, where the enemy is likely to be equipped with equally powerful and destructive automatic weapons.

But on the streets of our cities right here at home?

Assault weapons have no place in America or on our streets.

It's not exactly what our founding fathers had in mind when they said we have the right to bear arms and protect ourselves.

And this is my emailed response.

A law officer's opinion of your article.

I just read your article on the shootings at Tyler and your opinons on semi automatic weapons, and I have a few questions and comments. First of all, do you even know what a semi-automatic weapon is? And do you know the difference between a semi-automatic weapon and an automatic wepon? It seems from reading your article that you don't. From reading your article, I am pretty sure that your idea of a semi-automatic weapon is in reality an automatic weapon, which is a lot different. You go back and forth between using the terms semi-automatic weapons and automatic weapons throughout your article, when the fact is that the weapon used in Tyler was a semi-auto weapon, not an automatic weapon. And Federal law does not say that only the military can have automatic weapons. Any person who files the proper paper work and has a clean criminal record can own any automatic weapon he or she can afford to purchase as long as they follow all ATF guidelines.

As a law enforcement officer I take great offense to our stating that no one needs semi-automatic weapons. What is it exactly that you think keeps this country free from foreign invaders as well as domestic criminals? In your aticle you make it sound as if every law abiding citizen in thsi country who owns a firearm, is a criminal and a blood thirsty maniac. I guess it never occured to you that this whacko that attacked the people in Tyler would have found a way to kill them even if every firearm on earth were destroyed. And it apparently escaped your notice that the reason this psycho's son is alive, is because of a brave selfless hero, named Mr. Wilson, who used a semi-automatic firearm to resuce the young man. You also apparently did not notice that the police used semi-automatic firearms to put an end to that miserbale ******** life. But none of the lives saved by these weapons means anything to you because it doesn't suit your agenda to write about them. It's easier for you to pretend that all firearms are for evil people and evil purposes.

And I can't believe you actually stated that people don't use semi-automatic weapons to hunt. Of ourse people hunt deer with semi auto weapons, every single day. And have for the better part of a century. What do you want people to shoot a deer with? Rocks aren't exactly an affective long range weapon. If you admittedly don't know anything about hunting, then why would you speak ignorantly on a subject you have no knowledge of?

You really dropped the ball when you said that Congress outlawed semi-automatic firarms in 1994.Congress did not in any way shape or form ban any semi-automatic weapons in 1994, or at any other time in the history of this country. What they did was ban the addition of certain cosmetic features to semi-automatic weapons, which in no way has ever had any affect on the manner in which the firearm operates, and had no impact crime in this country. It was a pointless stupid ban, but it never banned any semi-automatic weapons. Your source at the Violence Policy Center is about as biased on the subject as any group on earth, so I can't imagine why a journalist would ever use their "information" in an article. You really need to do some research and fact checking for future articles before publishing blatant lies in.

I will anxiously await your reply to my letter and any explanations you might want to provide in regards to the errors in your article.

Sincerely,
    (S.O. Interceptor)-Peace Officer and gun owner.
    My hat is off to you!You told like it is>

I find it amazing that she doesn't take enough pride in her work to at least do 10 minutes of research before she wrote the article.

If I was her boss, I'd fire her over looking so ignorant.

To be totally fair to her- she did research, just entirely on one side. She is also in-line with a socially acceptable view that works well with her superiors concept of social-engineering. If you are little "Bobbie-Campus", seeing death up close and personal would be highly traumatic and difficult to incorporate in a world-view of harmonious co-existence....like school, in otherwords..... as she herself states. The ease with which death can be inflicted would be horrifying, and if one is not familiar with the concepts of personal responsibility and consequence of action, it would be logical to demonize the tool. I would not say that she is foolish or stupid, but socially retarded. A death in a car accident can be said to have "just happened", a shooting is purely intentional, and smacks of inherantly evil nature.......

"....whoa, dude! We're gettin' deep, here, better have another toke, and go see what Professor Schmucktuckee can tell us, to alleviate this burden on our consciousness!"

I've worked around academics (aka, "mental wankers")my entire life. I can't stand them......

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    One point the letter writer overlooked:

Does anybody seriously believe that the founding fathers would not have utilized full auto firearms if they were available?

They did however use muskets, which were the preeminent arm in use by the greatest army of the day.

Lets not ever forget that argument when faced with such stupidity.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    I find it amazing that she doesn't take enough pride in her work to at least do 10 minutes of research before she wrote the article.

If I was her boss, I'd fire her over looking so ignorant.
    that is one Idea but...

Let's get assault weapons off our streets
    By SHERRY LONG
    Staff Writer

Actually she should have posted it or made to re post as...

I'm clueless about guns.
    By SHERRY LONG
    Staff Writer
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

March 2005.

Article is over a year and a half old

But, to make it present, this is exactly the mind set that they have.

Lets see, by her logic:

A friend of mine hanged himself accidently = ban rope.

A friend of mine almost died from alcohol = ban alcohol.

I know people that have died while riding bikes to school = ban bikes (or school)

I've read of people drowning in pools = ban pools (or water)

I've read about people being killed by explosives = ban fertilizer and diesel fuel

I've read about people dying in aircraft = ban aircraft

I've seen people killed by being in tall buildings = ban tall buildings

Come on, criminals will kill, hurt, or maim whether guns are available to them or not. If they can't do it with guns then they will find something else to do it with.

Wayne

*I hope I don't offend anyone with my examples, just trying to get the point across that it's not the tool(s) used but the person using the tool(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    To be totally fair to her- she did research, just entirely on one side.
    The way she talked about semi-automatic weapons with no clue whatsoever said she didn't do any research. If you're going to label something as bad or good, you should have a clue what you're talking about before you do it.

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by SHERRY LONG
    Personally, I'm scared of guns. I will not go near them, whether they're pistols or rifles. I don't care.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    If you're going to label something as bad or good, you should have a clue what you're talking about before you do it.
    Why? The press hasn't since well before 1800........... It is extremely hard to overcome irrational emotion with facts, isn't it?

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    JT - Where in the world did you pull up the Freud quote?
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links